Shop or Garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop or Garage...

I'm sometimes a little confused about what guys mean when they're saying to have a 'shop' or have a 'garage'.

To me... I think a 'shop' is a business-place where you make money by working on cars or build engines.
    And a garage is more a personal 'car-storage' where you could also wrench on your cars for the hobby itself.

Am I right or wrong about this assumption?
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Shop or Garage...

The terms are pretty universal ( or inter-changeable )...here.... Shop / Garage...

I have a shop detached from my house... and a small garage attached to the house... Before I had the shop... my Garage was my "work Shop" and I called it that... now it's just my garage...

Smokey Yunick had the best damn Garage in Town... but it would be considered a Business by most folks... which it was... a place where the garage worked on cars for profit...

K

Comment

Mine is both.....shop that I work in, and a garage to keep my junk in.

Comment

I build a shop first, although it was also a garage....then years later I built a garage. The garage holds the cars we drive, has no room for working and very little storage space for "other stuff". The shop has project cars, junk, tools, equipment,and lotsa room for working on one car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

From my experience (which is considerable - I'm had 3 of 'em) the difference is whether or not you have a wife. Women in the States seem to have been raised to believe that a "garage" is a place where you park a car overnight to keep it out of the dew. When you need the space to, for example, paint a car, they get all nasty that they will have to park outside - like that's gonna hurt her daily driver. So I became very careful to call my work facility a "shop". This seems to implant the idea that this building is a work space, and she has no expectation that she will use any of it for any purpose. It works for me.

When we moved to North Carolina, I cleverly positioned the shop so that it's somewhat inconvenient to the house, so it doesn't even look inviting. And her choice was to turn the attached 2 car into her violin studio, so the daily drivers sit outside. Given that we virtually never have snow or ice, it's really not too bad.

All that said, I'm mostly teasing about THIS wife. She's a sweetie and is supportive of my insanity, as long as I don't spend money we don't have. She doesn't GET it, but she's OK with it. Keith hit a home run in the bride department too (we are both aware that we "married up") - Tonya puts up with him, actually participates in his madness, and ain't too hard to look at either. I doubt she tries to invade his shop with yard sale finds like my exes used to.

Later
          Dan

Comment

yeah, the marital situation does make a difference. The real motivation for building the garage was when she got her Prowler, it was taking up a parking space in my shop, so we built the garage and half the cars in it are hers.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Coming from the female side of this discussion, we will have a garage and a shop. The attached 4 car garage will hold my DD and of course the Chevelle, while the shop has the Camaro and soon will house the 57 wagon. We've had only a garage many times and the drivers all have sat outside so the hot rods would be out of the weather. Now if all goes well with the purchase of said garage and shop, we should be in before Christmas! :D

Cheaps 8)

Comment

A Shop is where I work and play with the cars.

A garage is where we park our other stuff. ;D

Comment

I'd take either, or; instead of my now soggy driveway.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X