Mating Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mating Season

Dadgum pigeons. I got home from work early today and Sue Unit pointed out that two birds were building a nest on our front porch. Pigeons (some Southerners call them Doves, but they're dadgum pigeons. I looked it up..).

They had a bunch of twigs already in place on our front porch and one of them was sitting there with its butt all hiked up, squinched into the tiny space at the corner of the woodwork, while the other one was making runs bringing in more twigs and stuff for the nest...heck, it's not even a good spot for a nest, but they were claiming it.

I went outside and shooed them away and raked down the makings of a nest. No, that will NOT do here at Weeville, no pigeons pooping all over the front porch. Not allowed. No.

To shorten the story, they were persistent. That was their spot and by golly they were building there. I had to put up a barrier. This is a rotissorie (sp?) cage for the Weber grill, wedged into the corner. And here they are thinking about it - deep thoughts about big plans that just went awry...

I've messed this post up messing with it, now there's 3 thumbnails attached of the same pic....oh my

pdub
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pdub; April 21, 2011, 10:47 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Sorry, after all of the quick-hurry up edits (quick! 5 minutes, you no-spelling typo-typing moron of a peewee!) I left out a line...."Caption this."

You folks can do so much with quotes for with car pics, what can you do with birds on a porch? It's not much of a story, but might be worth a post on the Weeville site when y'all flavor it up.

dubster

Comment

Time to warm up the BB gun. I hate pidgeons, they think my stuff is target practice.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have the same problem in my carport but with sparrows or what ever the small brown birds are called. Second summer I lived here I put up some screen door netting over a bunch of the holes, and they still found a place. This year they are getting agressive, I noticed they got behind one screen and seriously tried on another (twigs wedged all round the staples, but not big enough for the bird). I think this weekend I'll be up there re-stapling some netting and blocking off some other areas.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

flying rats - second only on my list of animals I detest behind the most prolific pooping machine known to man - GEESE.

spikes - you need spikes- carpet tack strips - rows of nail gun nails - something of that sort - something that the birds will say

"oh hell - I can't land on that" it's the only damned thing that works - netting can be cut through, fake owls and other plastic predatory scare crows don't do a damned bit of good.

I've considered motion sensing water cannons....
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Geese taste VERY good, especially if you have one of those hot oil turkey fryers. You need more than a BB gun for geese though, we usually accidentally "hit them with the truck"....... goose goes good with beer.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Cooked a store-bought goose in the smoker one time. Followed the directions, poked it with a fork after an hour (on towards 6 or eight hours) and was amazed at all of the 10W-30 that ran out. Gosh, how much.

Yeah, it was good. A feast. And when I went to clean the drip pan the next day....no, I don't want no more goose. Yuck.

I think we've had this same volley here maybe a year or more ago, yeah, geese are in fact the nastiest animals on earth. They poop and honk every step they take.

Nasty.

If I had a decent recipe for pigeon, I might just shoot these two with the pellet gun, they're right there on the porch. Except I might very well miss at such close range and put a hole in the vinyl siding. But they seem to have given up since I put the barbecue cage up there, like that was a significant clue to them - here lies your fate.

We'll see.
              Last edited by pdub; April 21, 2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

take some chicken wire, cut it in half so there's tons of little spikes. Staple it down up there where the wanna park it, and bend up the spikes so they'll get one up the chute when/if they try to land.

And a buddy of mine hit a goose with a shot from a 6-iron. You shoulda heard the sound.

I couldn't hit a straight shot the rest of the round, I was laughing so hard.
                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

A few years ago we had two of those things spend a week building a fine nest on top of our fuse box. Female layed 2 eggs, sat on them for 4 or 5 days and then promptly pushed both of them out onto the concrete. Both flew away never to return. I thought to myself, well that was stupid.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                    take some chicken wire, cut it in half so there's tons of little spikes. Staple it down up there where the wanna park it, and bend up the spikes so they'll get one up the chute when/if they try to land.

And a buddy of mine hit a goose with a shot from a 6-iron. You shoulda heard the sound.

I couldn't hit a straight shot the rest of the round, I was laughing so hard.
                    Tony - golf...

Not to bump the thread again....but....

Pool is the same thing. Pool (as in billiards) is much cheaper. Buy the table, it's a big hit to start with, but you never have to pay again.

No membership fees. No cart fees. You don't get bit by mosquitoes and bees. And you don't have to buy balls over and over again when you make a lousy shot and lose them. Hundreds of more dollars. Trust me, I did it - poorly.

It's the same game. The cue ball sits still and waits for you to hit it. It feels good when you make a shot, and it feels bad when you miss it. Same thing.

Plus you're indoors. Wait, that's the draw of golf...oh, I get it, you get away from the house and the wife and the kids, and all that! Never mind.

Golf may very well be a decent thing for a lot of folks.
                    Last edited by pdub; April 21, 2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Geese really are a good meal. Soak em to get rid of the blood, crock pot em and make pulled goose barbeque.

Comment

Those are doves not Pidgeons.
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Doves are just pigeons with a good press agent. Like rats and squirrels - except squirrels went to "Hair Club for Rodents". Maybe my new business??!!

Comment

Doves are just pigeons with a good press agent. Like rats and squirrels - except squirrels went to "Hair Club for Rodents". Maybe my new business??!!

Comment

You are too funny Mr Stokes!
                              I always think of doves as being "God's Birds" so I might be worried over de-nesting them...
                              ~gail
                              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                              X