Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
    You are too funny Mr Stokes!
    I always think of doves as being "God's Birds" so I might be worried over de-nesting them...
    ~gail
    Gail, I had to show Sue Unit your post. Unit thinks you may be thinking about beautiful white doves that legendarily carry the olive branch and such, and are released at weddings and stuff. If these two were ever white, they've been playing in sewage somewhere, by their color. And they carried only sticks and weeds and trouble to our front porch.

Didn't find a single olive branch in the pile of trash I raked out from underneath them.

They're pigeons, at least these were, ....sorry. Landbound seagulls, the next layer of vermim in avian society.

peester
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

mourning doves.

they are monogomous "pigeons".. don't like the big flocks.

I guess peewee and his wife get along.

I know them as peaceful birds.
      pigeons can get ratty, like seagulls at burger king. mourning doves are not pigeons.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The grillin' cage on the front porch worked. That was not hardly enough room for a nest anyhow. Well, no, not enough room for one bird, let alone two on a nest, AND the nest. Bad plan.

The next time Unit noticed them, they were on the backside of the house. The had found a great spot, plenty roomy and comfy, shaped right, even, in the back gutter on the second level of the roof. They were building their nest in the corner of a gutter, directly under the discharge from the downspout that runs off of the biggest part of the roof.

Okay, go ahead. I didn't even disturb them, I couldn't reach them anyhow. Dumbasses.

Dadgum pigeons.
        Last edited by pdub; April 25, 2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I love wild birds. When they make a nest on our property I feel special, (I know I am a freaky earthy pagan)...We've had all kinds of nests Humming Birds, different kinds of Hawks, Mocking Birds, Peacocks, Rock Martins...right now am awaiting the arrival of the white feathered crow, for two years this crow has had a nest in our Eucalyptus trees, it has one white tail feather, apparently that is very rare, none of the babies have had any white so it must be recessive. I am sure everyone will make fun of me for the white tailed crow. A neighbor up the street was claiming the crow as hers but he nested in my yard and then she moved, she was wrong all along anyhow.
          ~Gail
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            I love wild birds. When they make a nest on our property I feel special, (I know I am a freaky earthy pagan)...We've had all kinds of nests Humming Birds, different kinds of Hawks, Mocking Birds, Peacocks, Rock Martins...right now am awaiting the arrival of the white feathered crow, for two years this crow has had a nest in our Eucalyptus trees, it has one white tail feather, apparently that is very rare, none of the babies have had any white so it must be recessive. I am sure everyone will make fun of me for the white tailed crow. A neighbor up the street was claiming the crow as hers but he nested in my yard and then she moved, she was wrong all along anyhow.
            ~Gail
            ha you sound like my wife,
            we have 4 red tail hawks nesting here,, with bluejays on the other side of the yard.. and some tiny bird(forget their name)
            I can't work on my chevelle because a bird nested and has eggs or little ones and wife said she'd kill me if I move/harm/etc the nest..
            nature, godda love it..
            stopped cold by a bird
            Last edited by Stich496; April 25, 2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Gail, don't get me wrong. We have a hummingbird feeder, and are real disappointed so far we've only seen one. We had three last year, which was an odd scene. I think it was two guys and one female, they were always fighting.

We've tried feeding them all bird seed but the we only fed the squirrels instead. Yeah, rats with a good hair and agents, as Dan pointed out. They sure are fun to watch, crazy monkey acrobats, but they tore the feeder to pieces and ate us out of house and home, kept the birds away at the same time. Plus, Spankie the Dawg would go out there and roll around in the eaten seed and eat plenty himself....no, no seed.

These two mourning doves, (they ARE pigeons), no. There's too many millions of acres around here without them having to move in with us. No, no, no.
              Last edited by pdub; April 25, 2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I sincerely believe those are Turtle Doves, or sometimes called Mourning Doves. They may be related to pigeons, but true pigeons have iridescent feathers. Doves have a real pretty song. I like to hear them. Like you, I don't want them nesting on my house. The 'spike' solution will work.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  I sincerely believe those are Turtle Doves, or sometimes called Mourning Doves. They may be related to pigeons, but true pigeons have iridescent feathers. Doves have a real pretty song. I like to hear them. Like you, I don't want them nesting on my house. The 'spike' solution will work.
                  I thought pigeons were bigger too. At least the ones in the city are.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                    mourning doves.

they are monogomous "pigeons".. don't like the big flocks.

I know them as peaceful birds.
                    pigeons can get ratty, like seagulls at burger king. mourning doves are not pigeons.
                    All this is quite true. Quite. But I am here to inform every doubter amongst us, they all crap the same. Excessively. Only on your stuff. Nowhere else. Just on your stuff.

Anyone still doubts it, feel free to come on over and do a "dove/pidgeon rescue" before either me or my 8 year old nails them. Seriously, I'd love for someone to catch them and take 'em "under their wing", instead of above my stuff.

I'll even give you a good meal for doing such a good deed. I love animals, as long as they are crapping up someone elses stuff.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

You should see some of the test vehicles parked in our parking garage for a few weeks under the sprinkler pipes - the pigeon poop is over an inch thick in some places.

Flying rats!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        Yes they are Mourning Doves. Doves are directly related to the pigeon family, but have a smaller body and an ash & tan coloring to them. There is also another dove family that is migrating to the USA. from South America & Mexico. They are bigger than the regular dove and have white tail feathers but are slightly smaller than a pigeon. Doves are great on the grill just pop out the breast meat and clean wrap with a piece of bacon insert toothpick to hold them together add salt and pepper and grill until done. You can also dip them in Italian dressing after you wrap them with bacon and grill. For you northerners that eat grouse and pheasant, try some quail or dove and you might like it although they are small compared to pheasants. pigeons are also good on the grill it is the same meat as a dove,they are both dark meat and a quail is white meat.
                        Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Working...
                        X