Nothing Runs Like A Deere..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing Runs Like A Deere..

Here's why I am looking for a John Deere 544A 329 diesel motor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11563.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	877214 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11564.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	877213

I was just minding my own business driving the loader up from the back 40 & BOOOM!!!!! The motor puked a rod through the block. It felt like a busted u-joint, trans damper.. I nursed it up to the warehouse, & looked like the carrier bearing had slop in it. So I ordered a bearing. I got the part, went out to match it up & saw some oil spots on the right side of the machine.. I opened the door & just about shit my pants!!! The motor ran fine, it even sounded like it was still running on all 6!!! A few weeks ago this machine popped a head gasket, & had no oil pressure. I'm thinking the bearings got wasted from no oil pressure & the rods may have stretched from the overheating. I'm surprized it lasted as long as it did after we fixed the head gasket! Nothing runs like a Deere!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tardis454; June 17, 2014, 05:25 PM.

Holy crap! Have you thought about just plugging the hole and see how much longer it will run?
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Amen and amen.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Yowza! That's an impressive exit wound!!!
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Put some JB weld on it.
          sigpicJohn Castelli
          www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me but it was a Atlas Chalmer HD-11-G. Big ass front end loader on tracks, like they use at a city dump. I was about 1/4 mile back in the woods making roads for my hunting club when it let go. I drove it out and parked it on the edge of the powerline. Then found out I could not get the truck and trailor back there so i had to drive it about another 1/2 mile to get it loaded up. Sold it a year later to a friend and he patched the block and fixed the one rod and has been using it every since. Just my luck.
            Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Found a motor thanks to STINEY. It's in great shape, & was cheap too. More pics coming of the install.

Comment

A cheap diesel ? Amazing!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

damn headgaskets.
                  I bet it was perfect before...

what is in the fluids that does that viscosity raping... it don't let go sometimes. And one can only tell after the repair of gasket.

chemistry.. its the only demise for some engines...and they all get it eventually.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Here's where we are so far...

STINEY hooked us up with a HUGE tractor salvage yard here in Ohio. We got the motor for $1800 out the door. Can't beat that!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tardis454; June 17, 2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Deal on the new motor. Is that one a JD engine or a Komatsu/Kubota/similar? Looks like a JD but I haven't worked on that many. I know they're doing business with the Asians but I don't know how far back that goes.

Couldn't you get one with a high-mass flywheel (sarcasm smiley). That bottom pic really shows it and it's got to weigh 250 on it's own!

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; April 26, 2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Deal on the new motor. Is that one a JD engine or a Komatsu/Kubota/similar? Looks like a JD but I haven't worked on that many. I know they're doing business with the Asians but I don't know how far back that goes.

Dan
                        It's definitely all Deere, our machine is a 1969 544a wheel loader. The motor is from a late 70's early 80's 4400 series combine..

Comment

Sweet.....glad to see it going back together. You guys don't waste any time up there!
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

We put the motor in today... The 544's bigger younger brother the 1974 644a helped us with the lifting...

John putting the motor mount bolts in..

Mmmmmmm, look at that purty green combine motor.

She'll be running as soon as the water pump comes back from the rebuilders.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tardis454; June 17, 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Not gonna run right until you paint it yeller - or paint the tractor green. We're talking color clash here.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X