The Best Blues Song Ever Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron View Post
    Good stuff... Lightnin' Hopkins was absolutley amazing. He had the grit, the feel and the charisma that a truly legendary bluesman has.

Ron
    Lightnin' was Johnny Winter's hero, my musical hero. So I bought a few Lightnin' albums.

His stuff was broken, you can't always tap your foot to it, but he had some helluva licks in there. You can hear Lightnin' in some of Johnny's licks. Amazing how some things build on each other.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Within the last year, I got turned on to a few artists who sink their roots deep into the northern reaches of Mississippi. Artists like R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough bring out that raw-edged sound that I just can't seem to get enough of.

Here's R.L. doing what he did best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhb7_...feature=relmfu

Junior will almost put you into a blues trance with this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm06GowX3gU

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron View Post
        Blues can be about having fun, too. Ya gotta love the lyrics in Freddie King's "Big Legged Woman." I crack up every time I hear it, and his chops on that beatiful Gibson ES keep me coming back for more:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ron
        Saw Freddie in St. Croix on the Blues Cruise in 1996. He was supposed to start the show, and he wasn't there. Where's Freddie?

The whole show was stopped. Delayed. Where's Freddie?

He finally showed up 20 minutes late. He came out and said, "Sorry, I was stuck in traffic."

That was funny. In St. Croix, back then at least, there were maybe 50 cars on the whole island.
        Last edited by pdub; April 23, 2011, 02:25 AM.

Comment

A little more info - Randy played Vegas for years with various groups - usually blues but sometimes 50's-60's rock - he could do anything. As nearly as ME can tell, he had about 3.5 octaves in his voice - most unusual for a man. His brother Ernie is on bass in this clip - he's keeping Randy's band "Cat's Don't Sleep" alive.

I'm pretty sure he was sick when this was taped. He died of cancer about 10 years ago and was sick off and on for years before.

And you should hear his daughter, Michelle Garibay Carey. WHAT A VOICE!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...sic/worthy.gif

Dan

OK, why didn't the smiley work??!!

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          Ohhh Dan, that is SO Cool! Heck, when I played in a three-piece band, we could rarely get two of us to show up for practice at the same time.

Man, that's cool. So many good musicians havig at it. Whatta jam! Wow, that's just too cool!
          Last edited by DanStokes; April 23, 2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

A few weeks, well, nearly a month ago, by blues buddy and great friend in South Carolina sent me a box of cassette tapes, 7 in all, that we recorded in the few times that we played out. I had finally figured out how to convert cassette music over to the computer with the equipment that I have. It's all there, just figuring out how to use it is/was another thing.

The whole effort was to be so he and I could keep the songs forever, and he wants to make a memory-lane CD out of them. I'm sticking them on my website so he can grab them from there, pick and choose, it's only for us, really.

We only had about 7 or 8 songs that we could do. So we made up for it by playing each one for about 10 minutes apiece. Next set, we did the same ones again because by then most folks had gotten bored and left, replaced by new folks who were still curious. It actually worked.

So I'm working on that today, almost through the tapes. Some of the songs are real trash. Shameful. Pure crap, fast forward, what's next?

This one...I got SO tired of playing Stormy Monday, but Chuck just loved the song. He was plumb stuck on it. We must have played it together 300 times in practice and all, before on this day we recorded it. And then I finally heard it. Like I can look at things around the house and never "see" them until much later, I finally "heard" this.

If I can say so, and I shouldn't say so, but we were damned close to making real music. Real close. And it sure was fun. Heaps of fun.

Comment

jjohnny winter is the greatest bluesman

Comment

Dang, that's some tasty stuff right there. Maybe you need to open a blues joint. Sue Unit is charming enough to be the hostess, for sure. Cleveland certainly needs some high-cless entertainment! I'll come and play the grand opening.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; April 23, 2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Dang, that's some tasty stuff right there. Maybe you need to open a blues joint. Sue Unit is charming enough to be the hostess, for sure. Cleveland certainly needs some high-cless entertainment! I'll come and play the grand opening.

Dan
                  Count me in!

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Okay, here's a couple of my favorites

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

And how can you have a blues thread without this guy, love this song!

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

There are just so many to choose from

I think this is one of my all time favorites
                        [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLi0dq0tOk[/youtube]
                        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                          Thanks guys! I told Unit about your posts, and said we need to open a blues joint, and Dan and Ron are coming to play the grand opening! She said, "So when are you going to work and sleep if you run a blues joint?"

Reality crashed in through the roof, right then, on that line. Blues joints open the doors about 7 p.m. and the first act typically comes on around 10 p.m. and they play until the wee hours of the morning.

Yep, and why IS that? I dunno. It's a game for young folks, running a blues joint. Even if anybody ever even shows up, which they would not do around here.

Dang, great idee though. It soared for a few seconds and then crashed like a flaming screaming meteor.

dub

Comment

One of my favorites -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I heard some shit last night that just took my breath away, a jam with Paul Bell on slideguitar, 16yr old Andy Poxon leadguitar; Mark Warner on harp, Daryl Dixon on piano, the drummer (can't remember his name) from Jim Thackery's Drivers' and the bass player from the Nighthawks. They were smokin, i'd give blood for a cd of what they played. Out of the blue, Melvin Taylor stepped in for a couple tunes.
                              Andy Poxon is amazing, his band playes late fifties style R & R, with the odd ballard thrown in and thelittle ####er can sing! He opened and i was shocked when they had him come out and set in. He just fit right in and acted as if he'd been playing with them for decades - 16years old! Paul Bell switched to slide and really didn't play lead as much as creating the sound/rythem, i think Paul Bell might be about the best guitarist i have ever heard.
                              Last edited by oj; April 25, 2011, 09:22 AM. Reason: clarify
                              A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Mr. Wee - I love Sue Unit but she's wrong on this one. Morgan Freeman seems to do just fine with his joint and he is decidedly NOT young. And for sure SOMEONE would show up. Any place alcohol is served some ol' drunk will show up and get disgustingly plastered. You only need one cuatomer if he drinks enough. You would have to take him home though to assure that he'd be alive to come the next night.

Dan

Originally posted by peewee View Post

I dunno. It's a game for young folks, running a blues joint.

Dang, great idee though. It soared for a few seconds and then crashed like a flaming screaming meteor.

dub

Comment

Working...
                                X