The Best Blues Song Ever Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Blues Song Ever Thread

I submit Johnny Winter and Dr. John. I wanted "Life is Hard," but "Love, Life and Money" from the same session is close. Close enough.

Really great performance of Mr Winter with Malcom "Dr John" Rebennack, as usual.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Okay, Robert Johnson - what was I thinking? Yep, there it is. There's no way to say what is/was best.

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee were mighty good, too. And from all that I've read, they didn't even get along. They'd get into fist fights with each other and then go onto the stage. Sonny was blind. How could he stand a chance in a fist fight? But he tried.

Dang, they were good. This is a weak example, a very old one. The coolest thing was Sonny blowing and singing at the same time.

The wonderful blues duo Terry&McGhee performed "burnt child" and "Gonna move accross the river" in the german TV show "jazz gehôrt und gesehen" (jazz heard a...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo23H9J8o8
        Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

I don't think there's a "best" blues song, there's way too many to choose from!
          Here's one I like a lot...

I can't forget Roy Buchanan, one of my favorite guitarists!!! I get chills every time I listen to Roy

Oh, & of course Rory Gallagher!!! Rory shreds!

Last edited by tardis454; April 22, 2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I'd say Muddy Waters doing "Mannish Boy" has got be a Top 5 blues tune.
            Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, and B.B. King have all done tunes that could get this rating.
            Then again, Gatemouth Brown and Hound Dog Taylor are in the thick of it.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

You can't have a Blue's thread without the Blue's Brothers!!!!!

Or would that be the original Blue's Brother's.......

Comment

I have to agree that there's no one greatest blues tune. Here's a guy I've mentioned on here before that no one has ever heard of. It's the late, great Randy Garibay from San Antonio, TX. I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him at a gig and he was simply a great guy.

Let's see if I can embed a Youtube vid.....

Dan

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by DanStokes; April 22, 2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                  I'd say Muddy Waters doing "Mannish Boy" has got be a Top 5 blues tune.
                  Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, and B.B. King have all done tunes that could get this rating.
                  Then again, Gatemouth Brown and Hound Dog Taylor are in the thick of it.

Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thin Lizzy's Suicide. Blues with perhaps a little more rock.. Brian Robertson's and Scott Gorham's guitar solos RIP!
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I have to agree that there's no one greatest blues tune. Here's a guy I've mentioned on here before that no one has ever heard of. It's the late, great Randy Garibay from San Antonio, TX. I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him at a gig and he was simply a great guy.

Let's see if I can embed a Youtube vid.....

Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3i7OBo-c4
                      Ohhh Dan, that is SO Cool! Heck, when I played in a three-piece band, we could rarely get two of us to show up for practice at the same time.

Man, that's cool. So many good musicians havig at it. Whatta jam! Wow, that's just too cool!

Comment

Music Video for "Once Upon A Time" from the album "Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise."©1996 RCA Records

Robert Bradley.

Great Modern blues.
                        58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Way to many to pick from...ill just throw out Junior Wells Think I'm Better off with the Blues. But how can you go wrong with BB King The Thrill is Gone. Or what about Good Morning Little Schoolgirl by anybody...probably 20 versions of that....I like Jonny Langs and the Yardbirds
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Wow.... There are just too many great blues songs from yesterday and today. Lest ye think the best blues are from years gone by, take a peek at this group. A young bunch out of Kansas City, this band absolutely tore down the house at the 2009 International Blues Challenge. The lead singer, Danielle, has the best set of pipes I have heard in a long, long time. Let me know what you think. It is my pleasure to introduce to you, Trampled Under Foot:

Trampled Under Foot - May I Be Excused - 7th Annual St. John Blues Festival.Has Janis reincarnated? Watch this performance and decide for yourself.You can g...

Ron
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Truly, the best blues song may still be out there waiting to be discovered. There are a LOT of new artists out there who are so talented. Check out this guy. Outside of the blues sect, he is relatively unknown as you just won't here him on mainstream radio. This is Tab Benoit performing Shining Moon:

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X