Goliath Feats of STRENGTH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    Ok, so this is the thread I'll use to throw some photos up of ol' Goliath doing neat stuff.

Today...rainy saturday...had to work....took the truck....had a forklift....lots of weight....hmmmm.

I would have thrown a fourth one one but I woulda smashed into the lights.

Yes, that's 3 tons (6,000lbs). With a straight face I can tell you that the bumper dropped a MAX of 3 inches with all the weight loaded into the bed.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH YOUR WEENIE ONE TON!
    That's awesome.

Had a 1988 V30 one ton at work. I put just a tick over 4000# of recycled asphalt in it for driveway repair purposes. I don't think it would have handled 6000# the way Goliath did (not even close!), but it handled 4000# pretty well.

PS: I'm still willing to buy a tank of fuel if you bring Goliath to Loring this summer.

Comment

HA!

This Sunday is the big test. 50 miles one way to the vintage tractor and truck show.
      Normally a 40 minute drive, now possible in an hour and twenty minutes!

We have an F-350 flatbed (single cab, dually, all buisness) we load up pretty heavily, and management won't let us "overload" it (I guess rightfully so with our 12-14% ramp grades). We loaded two pallets of core on there, the truck wasn't even sagging a bit, at least three inches before the overload spring would touch it's perch, but it scaled at 9,900lbs GVW with those two pallets. We could probably put two more pallets on it too (and I think we have before someone asked....).
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

While being gone for over a week due to laptop issues and the new site change, is there new pics of Goliath? A story on the repairs ?

Comment

Yessah!

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks,
            Goliath looks good. Thats some nice work them boys done. Do you feel safer now?
            Last edited by realsteelfreak; May 1, 2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Hells yes I do. Just got back from a 100 mile round trip excursion in the big bastard, which included...GASP...highway driving!

3,000rpm = 60mph on the nose.

Took it to a truck and tractor show. The truck drew a little attention...heh!

Brian

Comment

Awesome, I was worried that this was going to be a "Side of the road posting from a phone" post because of the time. I forgot at first the time difference. Any bigger trucks there?

So what's the fuel mileage?

Comment

Mileage is coming in somewhere around 10-12 by my rough calculations.

Goliath was definitely the biggest girl at the dance.

There were tractors that dwarfed it though. I'm not a member of the New England Antique Truck and Tractor Club so I couldn't park in the dedicated show area...BUT...I deftly weaved my way into a high traffic "gray area" that put the truck in the thick of things. People really liked it and I could glance over while we were watching the pulls to see that there were always people around it.

The thing was right in the wheelhouse of this type event. LOTS of old timers talking about dump trucks and flat beds they had on a C50/60 chassis. Lots of loving praise for the yoeman 292 engine too. The truck just makes people stop and smile, which is really kinda neat.

It was one of my biggest goals to get the truck to this little event with the boys. Maybe lame in the grand scheme of things, but it feels pretty damned good.

Brian

Comment

It was one of my biggest goals to get the truck to this little event with the boys. Maybe lame in the grand scheme of things, but it feels pretty damned good.
                    Nah man, that's a pretty good goal, IMO.

Comment

just 4 sht and giggles... what you getting mpg

Comment

10-12mpg by my math

Comment

Awesome!!!

Still think you need one of those GMC Big Block V6's in there. Turns out if you put a 305 crank in a 478 block you get a 454 and it's got a conventional flexplate pattern instead of the giant truck stuff.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                          X