No announcement yet.

"BangShift Approved" TV Shows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Pickers, Mythbusters (Keri alone is enough to get my vote!), I'm with Brian & Kerri on History Detectives - also Antiques Road Show. Power Block for sure. I try to watch Hot Rod TV but they seem to have made about 3 episodes and they keep replaying them (I've seen enough of Keith Stone).

Another one that's interesting to me is Swamp Loggers. It's shot here in the Cape Fear area and I sometimes see their log trucks on the way to Maxton. I was getting prices on plywood for the deck of the mezz and right across the street was one of the Corbett Lumber installations - they are the main buyer for the crew that the show follows. It's interesting to see how hard some folks work for a living and how much SKILL some of them have.

Dan

Comment

I still havent watched Justified, I dont get to watch much tv, well ever really.
      Pawn Stars, King of the hill, family guy, south park, pass time,

swamp people is great. dude shoots his son and the mom operates with a butcher knife.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell View Post
        Because they destroyed AMC Eagles.....
        Not just that, but they did it at the old AMC Proving grounds
        ALSO, putting the engine from a front engined car in the trunk does not simulate a rear engined car
        and Eagles, being 4WD, they have a heavy front axle, thus making the myth that a snow plow can split a car in 2, harder to test.

Also, 67 Chevy Caprice, they strapped rocket boosters to and tried to make it fly, their so called "science" is nothing but pointless destruction to get ratings
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I have to agree with Dan on some of his choices. Keri on Mythbusters, oh my! (Although the "science" content of the show has taken a dive over time)

Antiques Roadshow is actually one of my favourite shows to watch - far ahead of some of the "auto" shows on TV.

I'll add:

Diners, Drive-ins & Dives
          Nova Science Now
          The American Experience
          Last edited by Darren N.; April 23, 2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Eagle - They've destroyed a TON more Tauruses. Sorry the Eagle destruction hurt. I agree that they don't always hit the mark but they can't be (and aren't) experts on EVERYthing. It took them forever to finally fit a fuel meter in a car instead of trying to weigh remaining fuel to determine fuel economy (Jamie's Toyota truck has (or had, anyhow) a mass fuel meter fitted).

As far as the Caprice - that was the myth as stated and they simulated the myth as accurately as possible. As always, first they replicate the circumstances of the myth and if it doesn't act as the myth states they then try to find a way to simulate the results.

They try to do science that the Average Joe can understand and, as I said, they don't always get it quite right. Notice that they are increasingly bringing in outside experts to keep them on scientific track. I disagree with Darren - I think the science has gotten better.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
              I still havent watched Justified, I dont get to watch much tv, well ever really.
              Pawn Stars, King of the hill, family guy, south park, pass time,

swamp people is great. dude shoots his son and the mom operates with a butcher knife.
              When Brian and myself went to Baton Rouge for the Nitro Jam event, one of the guys from the show was racing a rear engine dragster that weekend in one of the Comp classes
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

To be fair, I haven't been keeping up with Mythbusters over the last season or two.

I stopped watching because some of the pseudo-science stuff but I'll take Dan's word for it and check it out again.

Comment

An Idiot Abroad

Time Wasters...
                  http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                    Not just that, but they did it at the old AMC Proving grounds
                    I remembered the AMC Eagle episode after I signed off last night, and figured that was what turned you off to Myth Busters.

Another show I've been watching lately is Desert Car Kings. I like the cars they've fixed up and sold, and I also like the "lets go find the part for your classic car" portion (for lack of a better phrase). Being a car guy though, I wish they would focus a little more on the rebuild.
                    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

I've been watching the military channel lately and 'Weapons of WWII' has got to be on the list, along with just about everything else on that channel.

Comment

Desert car kings ,American Restoration , American pickers, but my favorite right now is "Chasing classic cars"

Comment

I like all of those Tony - plus Swamp people.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Loren and I watch the Military Channel alot he loves the WWII stuff, it is weird however to find our daughter watching it as well...
                            I used to like "Girls Next Door" but not anymore, we also watch Documentary, discovery, History, BBC and I love Jeopardy...

NOT A TV SHOW...but, does anyone ever listen to "Car Talk" on Public Radio, I love those guys they are hilarious!

~Gail
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I used to hate 'em but they've improved radically in the past few years. For the longest time they did a lot of "We know something you don't know so you're an idiot". East Coast wise guy stuff. But in the past few years they've become much more helpful and a lot kinder.

It bothered me because as a mechanic then later a glorified mechanic I thought it was disservice to the trade. The public perception is bad enough without a couple of air personalities making it worse. But as I said, they've come around pretty well and now are good will ambassadors for all us wrenchers. Thanks, Tappet Brothers.

Dan

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                              NOT A TV SHOW...but, does anyone ever listen to "Car Talk" on Public Radio, I love those guys they are hilarious!

~Gail

Comment

as long as its not an over produced, overly dramatized car show that barely focuses on cars, im usually okay with it.

too bad thats about 95% of car shows these days

at least power block and pass time are still on, i miss the original pinks show and monster garage too
                                formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                                http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Working...
                                X