1988 Thunderbird 3.8, what to look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Thunderbird 3.8, what to look for

My friend is dead set on an 87/88 Thunderbird, we looked at and test drove one today, V6, 130K, guy wants $800, looks solid, no rust I could see
    Either the valve cover or rear intake seal leaks oil and it smoked when we got back, not that the V6 will be staying in the car very long, He either wants a turbo 4 or a 5.0
    The 5.0 would probably be what we'd put in it.
    Anybody know anything about those Fox Body T-Birds?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

IMO the 3.8 is junk

as far as the older bodied t-birds, find one with the 2.3 turbo, my friend had one in his junk yard a couple months ago, sucker got picked clean in like 2 weeks
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

be sure chassis is strong for 8 cyl.
      ford did to those as they did the mustang from little to bigger..never quite explained themselves either. A guru could chime in here.
      body differences.

that car is what I witnessed a death over. except a 1983. if I am not mistaken it was a v8 hack job from a smaller engine that was in it.

could be as simple as suspension upgrade.. but do doubt that. dig further before dropping an 8.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
        IMO the 3.8 is junk

as far as the older bodied t-birds, find one with the 2.3 turbo, my friend had one in his junk yard a couple months ago, sucker got picked clean in like 2 weeks
        X2 on the turbo 4 banger.........Got one myself........

Comment

I had a 2.3 turbo XR-7 & 3.8 base Cougar. The 3.8 car was a pile of shit.
          I'd definitely do a 2.3 turbo, or a 5.0 if you're working on T-birds of that era.

Comment

look for rust in the front frame rails and shock towers, under where the battery is and front core support and in the back behind the rear bumper and then look at the normal places you look at when looking at a car, rockers, floors, fenders etc. thats usually what i look at when looking at mustangs, they can hide A LOT of rust.

and a turbo 4 would be cool, but at the end of the day, it still sounds like a 4 cylinder. plus you can get 5.0 performance parts really cheap and could build a 5.0 car a lot cheaper. or since youre gonna be swapping motors anyway, put a 351 in it
            formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
            http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

This would be his only car since he is selling his truck this week, and with gas prices, he decided a 351 would be a bit too much for him at the moment, though he does get paid well

Comment

cracked heads , shitty aod trans

Comment

88 is too old

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    cracked heads , shitty aod trans
                    That's what I dealt with on my 3.8 Cougar.
                    I put so much silver flake in that car the antifreeze looked like liquid lead!

Comment

I am sure you know some mustang stuff will work (aftermarket)
                      I am willing to bet the 302 or 351 will get the same gas mileage as a turbo 4.
                      The reason I say this is because his foot will be in the gas/boost and it will probably be turned up. You can knock down 20mpg in a mustang pretty easy.

Also if you go 2.3t, watch the rearend gears. Horsewidower(aka bob) and mustang13 will know more about that than I do
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

The 3.8 is pretty doggy but it doesn't sound like he's keeping it anyway. The turbo birds would go 30mpg highway, a 302 will get close. The biggest problem I see is the 7.5 rearend in it. If it has an OD I'm not sure what gear it will have, but probably a 2.73. The 3 speed models came with some really long gears, I think my '85 has 2.45's in it.

If you start making much power it will probably be the first thing to go. It's also got smaller brakes but I'm pretty sure all the Mustang GT stuff will bolt in. I can't remember in '88, may have gone to MPI by then but if it's got CFI then it won't be too hard to regulate for a carb'd 302. I don't think they have double hump cross members.

It's just a big fox... look for the same stuff you do with any other fox. I'd try and hold out for a turbo bird, like everyone has said. It's a much better foundation. 8.8, better brakes, pretty great suspension out of the box.

A 351 is definitely going to need a hood scoop.
                        Last edited by Beagle; April 24, 2011, 06:23 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We already plan on finding a TC hood for it, and MAYBE even the front fascia
                          Apparently, we can swap the independent rear out of a 94 that we know is just sitting into the car

Unfortunately, the car is a column shift, it'll probably remain that way, but we'd like to swap in a T45

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                            We already plan on finding a TC hood for it, and MAYBE even the front fascia
                            Apparently, we can swap the independent rear out of a 94 that we know is just sitting into the car

Unfortunately, the car is a column shift, it'll probably remain that way, but we'd like to swap in a T45
                            Isn't a 94 an MN112 not a fox?
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                              Isn't a 94 an MN112 not a fox?
                              Yes, a 94 is an MN112 body.
                              Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X