Post up your Shop-Vac repairs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post up your Shop-Vac repairs!

Okay, so its probably a given that most of us have a shop-vac or two, right?

And these things aren't built to the standards they might be?

I for one am too cheap to just toss one when something trivial breaks, I try to find a cheap way to patch it together. Even if it is just long enough so that the whole thing goes in a glorious ball of fire....

So, with that in mind, I present my tight-wad repair job to one of my shop-vacs, which lost two wheels in an unfortunate cement patio joint incident. $8 worth of fiberglass reinforced bondo and some drywall screws later, we're back in the suckin' sweepin' action!

Come on, post your innovative solutions, I know there have to be some out there.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I was cleaning mine a couple weeks ago out in the driveway (the filter looked like an angora sweater on a fat girl) and when I went to put it back together I could not find the filter I just spent 10 minutes cleaning. Huh - where'd I put that SOB ? Eventually I figured the 15 mph winds must have had something to do with it. So about 200 hundred yards away in the park I see something moving - yup - thar she blows.
    Last edited by 70chevyC-10; April 26, 2011, 07:58 AM.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

I drilled a 1" hole in my 2.5 gallon port-o-suck and attached a garden hose / valve to drain it cuz I'm so lazy I don't want to take the lid off to dump water out of it. Does that count?
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm still on my first one a craftsman 40 gal.
        still like new

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          I drilled a 1" hole in my 2.5 gallon port-o-suck and attached a garden hose / valve to drain it cuz I'm so lazy I don't want to take the lid off to dump water out of it. Does that count?

This is great info! I use ours to suck the water out of my Koi pond it is not a huge pond...but emptying that thing is excruciating!
          ~Gail
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Come on, Gail - don't be koi with us! I thought of adding more here but it all comes out inappropriate so I'll drop it.......

Anyhow, Stiney, nice fix! I lost the cloth filter on my Craftsman and that will be one of the stops on my errands today. I need to suck up all of the shavings from drilling the holes for the tec screws holding down the deck on the mezzanine. I guess I COULD leave them as that whole thing will be covered with plywood but I just can't bring myself to do that. When I tried sucking up the concrete dust from the anchor bolt holes I got a face full as a result of not having the cloth filter and I certainly don't want a face full of metal filings.

Dan

Comment

My old boss told me about it and it was absolutely true. Cloth Samples bags are PERFECT shop vac filters. I should take a picture of one when I get home. I have them on at least two of the three shop vac's =P
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                My old boss told me about it and it was absolutely true. Cloth Samples bags are PERFECT shop vac filters. I should take a picture of one when I get home. I have them on at least two of the three shop vac's =P
                nylons are better,, ask the women for theirs after they get a run in them, and watch for the looks you'll get..

Comment

Hold on to your wallet when you get that new shop vac filter Dan - they aren't cheap - but it's like solvent in the parts washer or abrasives in the blast cabinet - it's part of the consumables cost of having the machine.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

No possible way they are better. Larger pore size and way more suseptible to tearing. I just rinse the cloth bag out by sticking the garden hose in it, filling it up and reverse circulating it. Wring it out and re-use. Very rugged too since they are designed to carry rock and dirt.

Dan, I could bring you a couple bags to Bonneville.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 26, 2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

That would be great, Randal! I'll take all the freebies I can get. I guess they'll fit in luggage and get thru TSA, no?

Dan

Comment

Not a repair story...
                        Last Christmas we attended a Party where there was the "Cut Throat Gift Exchange" I brought a shop Vac, people were fighting over it! The alternatives were scented candles etc. We went home with a snuggly which I have used to drive to work in the No Heater Suburban...I actually love the snuggly, but was very proud when my gift was being fought over!
                        ~Gail
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          That would be great, Randal! I'll take all the freebies I can get. I guess they'll fit in luggage and get thru TSA, no?

Dan
                          They're just cotton bags that fold flat. You could fit one into each back pocket of your pants even.

Comment

If you would've given this 'handy' backpocket advice to a female, the inevitable next question would ofcourse be "wouldn't those bags make me look fat?"...

NOW what you're gonna say SilverBuick then?!
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

"Baby got back"
                              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 26, 2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X