Car Stereos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car Stereos

I've got a long commute stuck in traffic, so I've got to have my music. The Bose stereo in my Corvette died, so I replaced it with a cheap CD player and some Sony speakers. Been thinking about putting in a sub or two when I have the money to spare but nothing too crazy.

Comment

Well - my professional life is pretty much all about music, and I have to have it around me where-ever I am, so I have a simple system made up of four speakers and a 12" sub for the Demon. I had the assistance of the pro-audio shop I work with in designing the rig so the drivers are all JBL, and the head unit is from Kenwood. (There is also a a Clarion parametric equaliser/Pre-amp with aux in jacks.)

The system was designed for fidelity rather than the loud low frequency noise so popular with the rap/ricer crowd, so I was fortunate to have some old Proton power amplifiers available, which are more "hi-fi" than they are raw power. They offer lots of headroom so rig still goes plenty loud, but sonically, it rivals many home stereos when CDs are played on it. It loses a lot of sound quality when I'm using the MP3 player due to the crappy nature of that format, but that's not so noticeable over the exhaust noise when drivng...

Comment

Sirrius sat., Ipod hook up, and AM/FM with 4 decent speakers is all I want.

Comment

when I rebuilt my 429 for the Torino, out went the timing chain, in went the pete jackson gear drive.

who needs a stereo?

Comment

I'd rather hear the road music and the car ...

;D

Comment

Out of all the cars I own, only my DD Saab has a radio. I don't even listen to that. There are radios in my some of my old cars, those that don't have delete plates, but they don't work, and I don't care, they're pretty much there to take up space and make the dash look complete.

If I was going to do it, I would take the minimalist route and go with some high end stuff, hidden away out of sight. A decent head unit and 4 or 6 speakers and maybe an amp. No bass, just clarity, but enough power to turn it up once in a while.

Comment

i take my truck to ga every year for hunting season. this is about an 8 hour drive for me so i have a very nice sound system installed by my self. i have infinity kappa componets in the front doors, kappa componets in the rear sides and 1 jl 10w3v3 10" sub installed in a custom made center console that i made so it wouldnt take up any useable space in the truck. all this is running off 2 amps, a rockford fosgate 500x 4 ch and an older ppi art 600a2. this is not a "i can here you 3 blocks away" system, rather a really good sound quality system. now the wifes car is a diffrent story, 2500 watt rms- 139 db and it can be herd 3 blocks away plus it has excellent sound quality as well.

Comment

I think it has to rattle the contents of the trunk and the license plate to be really "good". At least, that's what the kids in my old neighborhood in MI seemed to think. Interestingly, I don't hear that much here in NC. I thought maybe the fad was dead, but maybe it's just not popular here.

In my cars - just give me a decent factory system and I'm happy. The new factory stuff is generally pretty good. The Dakota came with some sort of aftermarket head and it took me a year (literally) to find out how to shut the damn thing off. The amp has died and I never looked at it to fix it - it caused stuff to rattle inside the car and drove me nutz. The radio alone gives good sound w/o vibrations.

Later
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    I think it has to rattle the contents of the trunk and the license plate to be really "good". At least, that's what the kids in my old neighborhood in MI seemed to think. Interestingly, I don't hear that much here in NC. I thought maybe the fad was dead, but maybe it's just not popular here.

In my cars - just give me a decent factory system and I'm happy. The new factory stuff is generally pretty good. The Dakota came with some sort of aftermarket head and it took me a year (literally) to find out how to shut the damn thing off. The amp has died and I never looked at it to fix it - it caused stuff to rattle inside the car and drove me nutz. The radio alone gives good sound w/o vibrations.

Later
                    Dan
                    My wife's 2007 Focus has about the perfect factory stereo. Its not the top end one either, just the single CD and speakers at the 4 corners. Very clean, and its really good at 70 mph, it like you are in the house on the couch. I've heard some of those cars that the hatch rattles on, how can you enjoy that?

Comment

Working...
                    X