Bang Shift Approved Economy Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bang Shift Approved Economy Car?

Is there such a thing as a cool economy car? I have a 100/day commute as gas gets closer to $4 a gallon it has me thinking, I can keep driving my V8 mustang or sell my sole (not the car) and buy an eco crap box that gets 50-100% better gas mileage and maybe free up some money to work on project cars.

One of my biggest hang ups is I am fundamentally opposed to FWD.

What is the coolest economy car that you can think of, and why?
    Yes
    84.62%
    No
    15.38%
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

2.3 fox mustangs knock down some pretty good fuel economy...
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I had the same issue. My wife drives 80 miles a day, and was doing it in her Hemi Grand Cherokee 4x4.

I got her a Civic. At 34 mpg it more than pays for itself. We were very skeptical, we took it on a trip this weekend and it surprised me..........It's not cool, but it is money in the pocket.

good luck in your quest
      Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; April 27, 2011, 05:50 AM.
      A.K.A. Brian
      Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

i had a corrolla when i drove 140 mile round trip to work. hated the @!#$! car, but it got me back and forth and got 40 mpg. I was already married so the chick factor did not matter to me.

When i started working from home traded it in on my 09 F150
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

But that's just me.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1989xfiaerocar-trimmed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	854627
          Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Fun cars that knock down 30 mpg ARE out there.

We have two My daily driver is a Neon SRT4, it gets about 30mpg (If I drive like a normal person) and ran a 14.2 in the quarter mile.

My wife drives an ’06 Audi A4 Quatro with a turbo 2.0L. This has the added benefit of being AWD for our beautiful winters, and a 6-speed manual. That also gets about 30 mpg. It’s also a very nice car, the neon is a little ‘cheap’ by comparison, LOL.
            I just saw a car commercial about the new V6 Mustang, 31 MPG, 305-HP V6. That sounds way cool!
            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; April 27, 2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

VW TDI Jetta, circa 2000-2003

Crazy good MPG, fun enough to drive and it's German so it'll keep you busy with minor repairs :-)
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I would say one of the coolest would be a Chevette. I guy I work with has one he drives to work on a decent round trip and he swears it gets 30 mpg and its rwd and has air.

Comment

Thank for the ideas I would not mind having a 2.3 turbo mustang, I really don't want a civic or a corrolla. I agree the SRT4 and the TDI are cool but I can buy alot of gas for 5-10k.

Assuming I can get over the wrong wheel drive... I saw an ad on CL for a 1990 Toyota Celica with a 5 speed anybody know anything about them?

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

reardrive
                    monzas/and clones with the 151 iron duke and a stick.. they are mini 3rd gen f bodys
                    good mph look good (3 doors) and can be fast and made to handle on rails

Comment

Originally posted by low-psi View Post
                      I would say one of the coolest would be a Chevette. I guy I work with has one he drives to work on a decent round trip and he swears it gets 30 mpg and its rwd and has air.
                      I don't see many of those for sale anymore. How hard do you think it would be to put an ecotech in one?

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Buying and building are two different things.
                        I would love to see a pro-build of something that gets over 30 MPG AND is very quick.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post

Crazy good MPG, fun enough to drive and it's German so it'll keep you busy with minor repairs :-)
                          only thing german, is the blueprint paper ..

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            I don't see many of those for sale anymore. How hard do you think it would be to put an ecotech in one?
                            not hard they make a reardrive block

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post

x2

The best part about a Jetta (beside they handle like they're on rails) is the money you save to build your project car
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X