Recommendations for San Diego ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for San Diego ....

I want to take the wife for a 3 or 4 day weekend to SD. Need some recommendations for hotels/BnB's etc that are close to if not on the beach. Had a place in the Mission Bay area we used to go to, but the guy sold it and now it's an apt building.

We really like the La Jolla area but want something somewhat off the beaten path, close to the beach and has restaurants and bars within walking distance......

Throw some ideas out there guys. I know Loren's Wife will have some thoughts, especially from a lady's perspective!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

When is your trip? I am soooo busy today but do have a bunch of suggestions...
    ~gail
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Not a B&G, but about the best part of our trip to SD last fall was visiting the USS Midway. It was super cool.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
        Not a B&G, but about the best part of our trip to SD last fall was visiting the USS Midway. It was super cool.
        I did that a couple weekends ago. It was way awesome, but I didn't get hardly any pictures at all because I brought my Dad who was just on the go the whole time we were there (4 hours) as he served on three air craft carriers during Vietnam. I plan on going back some time though to do their tour
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If you want peace and quiet go check out the Presidio. Beautiful place. Otherwise, I just roamed roads near the beach.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Bamfster, Hotel Del Coronado.

It isn't a cheap joint for sure, but it is bad assed. The girl will worship you and they have great food, drinks, and a killer beach. You can walk all around Coronado from the hotel. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Always a good call, because it's really a beautiful building and location.

They do have packages for weekends and stuff too.

http://www.hoteldel.com
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

coarse theres balboa park with the museums and the zoo if thats your flavor. Mission Beach has all kinds of bars and restaurants and places to rent. Gas Lamp district is a good place for night time entertainment
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

WOO HOO Vacation in SD! Sorry it took a while to reply, Loren and I are soooo busy right now.

First, let me say Chad is absolutely right about the HOTEL DEL CORONADO it is truly our crown jewel and right on the sand...tons of history, it was once the playground to the stars...haunted rooms, great restuarants, very romantic.

The MIDWAY is really awesome, not all women go for that military stuff but I sure love it and it is really an intimate way to see an Aircraft Carrier, they let you go everywhere and the Docents are amazing with great stories and facts...Near the Midway there are opportunities for other boat related fun, there is a 3 masted sailing ship musem, very nice Dinner Cruises, and some fair Fish Restuarants. My Favorite Fish place is a hole in the wall called BLUE WATER, you can't beat them for the price and the amazing quality of their fish, always prepared beyond perfect!

If your wife likes the shopping, antique, craft scene we have an extraordinary back country area that is rarely considered when travelling to San Diego. A day trip to the town of JULIAN is the kind of thing San Diegans do to get out of town for a day. A trip to Julian takes you through winding oak strewn rolling hills, past egg farms, winerys, my Sister's camel dairy where I could arrange a private tour...(seems wierd but actually really cool) they have a bunch of babies right now, cute meter overload. Julian has the Old Julian Hotel which is a fully restored mining era inn with B and B. The town itself is famous for Apple Pie, I love to take a drive up there once in a while on a Saturday or Sunday and bring home a pie, many antique stores, crafts, jewelry etc.
                The areas called Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach while right on the Beach mainly cater to the hard partying college set and all have the boardwalk crossing right in front of the condos so this is a little crowded and noisy for me...
                Downtown there is the GASLAMP DISTRICT, this is old San Diego. This area is filled with very trendy restaurants, night clubs and some shopping $$$. The buildings have the georgeous turn of the century old architecture, many have been painstakingly restored to their original grandeur. The US GRANT HOTEL interior can take your breath away with exquisite crystal chandeliers and wall to wall marble, plus a great international staff.
                Of course Tijuana is a heartbeat away and has some fun shopping, I know people are terribly afraid of TJ, but I have never had a problem there...I drive, park, shop and eat, slip someone a few $ to watch the car if I feel stange that day but otherwise not that scarey, of course now you need a passport.
                If you like Zoos the SAN DIEGO ZOO is world famous and the SAFARI PARK , formerly known as the WILD ANIMAL PARK while zoolike is a little more user friendly as far as how much walking is invloved as the tours are conducted via a tram.
                We have an amazingly beautiful desert area about an hour away called Anza Borrego there are some very cool 1950s era motels and restuarants out there and georgeous scenery accompanied by all the usual Parks Department educational detritus.
                The museums and Balboa Park are great, there are always fun weekend things going on there, art shows, concerts it has ancient landscaping and beatuiful Spanish Arcitecture, Hiking Trails, Japanese Gardens, Arboretum, and Koi Ponds. This area also includes a wonderful Automotive and Aerospace Museum as well.

You will not be forgiven if you do not call us when you get to town! It would be great to get that Impala out and take you guys for a ride!!! Let me know when you plan your trip.

~Gail
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone. We are going to be there 6/10 and heading home 6/13 .... this is her Mother's Day present and she has been known to troll here so hopefully she won't see this ... LOL

We've stayed in Mission Bay before, a little busy for us. We really like the La Jolla / Torrey Pines area and I found a place called Bahia Hotel Resort in La Jolla that looks good and the reviews support that. It's 4 blocks from the beach, and that's mainly what we want to do .... lay on the beach! The Midway is on the itinerary as well since we both love the military stuff, plus it's a lot cheaper than the zoo/seaworld/etc.

So has anyone heard of the Bahai Hotel Resort? Need some good ideas for dinner (mexican food) too .....

Comment

holy crap - the bahai, oh man do i have stories bout that place, all good and most of them are of me and my friends then being asked to leave cause the cops of been called, oh man, just great times ....

btw Gail have you ever eaten at Kings Fish House, thats my favorite place to hit when there. I go to the one in Mission Valley
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

We really like Anthony's Fish Grotto ... if it's still there

Comment

golf
                        usmc activities

Comment

Anthony's is definately still there...
                          thanks for narrowing down what you were looking for...

There are the most beautiful places right near La Jolla for beach sitting...

Sunset Cliffs is a favorite for romantic couples stuff, it is stunning! a girl I work with got suprise engaged there last weekend...
                          here are some pix of that,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20110126112125_sea-cave-ocean-tunnel[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	854710

Name:	P8310610[1].jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	854711

Black's Beach is one of the few nude beaches left in this country. Also has great surf.
                          due to the Nude Beach status it is relatively un-crowded which makes it Great!

Name:	blacks[1].jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	854712

Name:	23-L-011542[1].jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	854713

Torrey Pines not to be outdone, Hanggliders regularly use the cliffs above as their jumping off point, and if you like Golf, the Golf course at Torrey Pines is world class...

Name:	3314611913_c8e89bf6b9_b[1].jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	854714

Name:	3839603171_1fd5b3057b_z[1].jpg
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	854715

and the golf course:

Name:	torrey-pines-golf-course-aerial-photograph-22375-638323[1].jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	854716
                          La Jolla itself has unsurpassed coastline:
                          although a little more crowded and touristy than the other two but well worth a laid back afternoon...and most areas are easy access...

Name:	la-jolla-cove-ocean-beach-sand-waves[1].jpg
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	854717
                          Wave breaking at the "Children's Pool":

Name:	waves_lajollachildrenspool[1].jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	854718

Seals at La Jolla Cove Children's pool...

Name:	seals-at-la-jolla[1].jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	854719
                          While this used to be a children's beach area due to the sheltered safe swimming conditions, Seals are not stupid and have moved in, because this is California, the cove has now been set aside for Seals. Seals provide food for Sharks so now sharks have become a problem for surfers occassionally...ah the food chain!

San Diego recently passed a law "No Drinking" on the beach, thank you out-of-control college kids! It is perfectly acceptable and not against the law however to get on a raft out in the water and drink, called a floatilla. I am not sure how you feel about drinking but I think a glass of wine or a couple beers is ok and occassionaly would disguise an alocohol beverage...

Of course since you have been to La Jolla you are familiar with the shopping etc, so I won't get into that.

George's at the Cove is a pretty amazing place, suring storms the waves actually crash against the windows pretty spectacular...
                          Experience award-winning dining with stunning ocean views at George's at the Cove in La Jolla. Locally sourced ingredients, extensive wine list, and an ocean view event space. Book your table today!

What would a trip to SD be without a little Mexican retreat, great food, fun shopping, Margaritas and Mariachis...

Name:	Colorful%20pots%20at%20Old%20Town%20SD[1].jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	854721

Name:	Old town San Diego, CA 041[1].jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	854722
                          I hope you have a wonderful vacation here and if you need anything give us a call while you are in town.

~Gail
                          Last edited by LORENSWIFE; May 3, 2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                            holy crap - the bahai, oh man do i have stories bout that place, all good and most of them are of me and my friends then being asked to leave cause the cops of been called, oh man, just great times ....

btw Gail have you ever eaten at Kings Fish House, thats my favorite place to hit when there. I go to the one in Mission Valley
                            I have never had the pleasure, seafood is my absolute favorite so I will definately check this place out...Please consider Blue Water when travelling here. The outside looks like a liqour store but it is truly heavenly, they even have a seafood counter where you can get local fresh caught fish...whatever is coming in off the boats , Sushimi grade tuna for $20 a pound...I would be afraid to ruin it so I just go and let them cook for me...
                            ~Gail

Comment

Thanks Gail .... I'm sure we will, we always do. This is just a gettin' away from from the kids layin' on the beach hangin' out together vacation. I was able to get discount tix for the Midway tour, so that'll be about it for sight seeing.

Comment

Working...
                              X