Engine SHIPPING question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine SHIPPING question

SoCal guys...how would you get an engine from San Fernando Valley to a shipper in Orange for one of our Australian brothers. Be SPECIFIC. Pallet? (has to be on one I think). Where will I get one? What company do you deal with? etc. If you say in the back of a truck your dick will fall off
    STUGOTS

you can get a pallet from any supermarket or homedepot..
    just ask.
    then make(add) the braces , most crate engines sit the engine on 2"by 10/12" at the pan rail
    then crate it up.. 2by3 and plywood

Comment

We use pallets here at work on a daily basis. We have stacks of them. Come on by and I will give you one.

I would slather the engine in WD-40 prior to wrapping it in a heavy guage plastic bag. Then, I would secure it to the pallet with steel banding straps. (We have one of these you can use if you want.)

The plastic bag will need some insulation from the sharp edges of the banding strap and a piece of corrugated cardboard will work nicely where the bands cinch down over the engine.

The WD40 and plastic are to minimize the effects of the salt air (this thing is going by boat, right?) on the engine. The steel banding straps will keep the engine secured to the pallet.

If you don't feel like coming to Topeka for a pallet and banding, give your local FedEx Freight, YRC or Con-Way freight terminal a call and see if they would be willing to help you out. These guys are generally pretty knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and they have the tools and pallets at the terminal to make it happen.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Pallets are easy to find, and either build a stand like Ron said, or go buy a cheap set of engine feet. Then you just bolt the engine feet to the engine and then down to the pallet. Super easy. Wrapping it in plastic with WD is a good idea if it is going on a boat, and also do some cardboard and staps across the top just to help.

One other thing you can do. Go to Uline.com and find a local dealer. You can buy big desiccant bags from them for like $15 that will keep that engine super dry if it's wrapped in a plastic bag and has the desiccant bag inside with it.

FYI, these bags of desiccant are also good to use for a car that is sitting in a high humidity area. One inside the car, one inside the air cleaner, and one inside each header collector works like a champ to keep the wet away from all the good stuff.
        Last edited by BangShiftChad; April 28, 2011, 02:42 PM.
        "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Call around to some parts stores and see if any of them have an engine in stock. I know the Autozone I worked at for 3 years almost always had one squirrelled away in the back and ask if you could see it to check out how it's palleted. Basically they used good wood bracing screwed together (and to the pallet) to hold the plastic wrapped engine upright, then banded the engine to the pallet. Then put a heavy duty cardboard box over the top, for shipping you could probably go with some plywood and 2x4 framing for a box.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

In the back of a truck.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

You guys aren't addressing the whole request.
              STUGOTS

Comment

In the back of a truck.

(I can only address the part of the question I may know something about)
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                  SoCal guys...how would you get an engine from San Fernando Valley to a shipper in Orange for one of our Australian brothers. Be SPECIFIC. Pallet? (has to be on one I think). Where will I get one? What company do you deal with? etc. If you say in the back of a truck your dick will fall off
                  I ship motors/trannys everywhere for the junkyard...
                  If a motor is being shipping in the states it gets:
                  Strapped to a used pallet with seatbelts & drywall screws & I shrink wrap the piss out of it.
                  Then I create a bill of lading & the freight company picks it up & takes it to the terminal.

If a motor is going out of the country it's a whole different game...
                  Motors going out of the country get a thorough cleaning/WD-40 bath. We build a crate/pallet with an oil mat. The motor is secured at the motor mounts & bellhousing & shrink wrapped. Then the lid goes on...

You have to fill out declaration forms for customs stating the items declared value, insured value, description, *business or personal(*dependent on import/export & tax laws of country item is being shipped to) Once all the paperwork is done you ship it out. Depending on the freight company you use the item will be picked up at your location or you drop it off at the terminal IN A TRUCK!!!
                  After that it sits in customs (for longer than it takes to ship it), usually 2-8 weeks depending on the country. Countries like UK require you to deposit money into an escrow account for tranactions exceeding $5000 which is refunded once the item clears customs(my UK friend just dealt with this)

If you need more 'specific' answers contact an international freight company & ask them. That's what we did...

Comment

If it going onwards to Australia it must be on a compliant ISPM-15 pallet -
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Give Jeff a shout. That's what he does for a living (import/export car stuff to Australia).

[email protected]

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

The other question to ask is timing, air freight or by boat. I used Forward Air in Hawthorne, CA. I built my own pallet from mostly scrap materials and a sheet of plywood along with a home made angle iron stand. I also made a full enclosure as people don't need to be tempted by shiny go fast parts or rare parts. Make the pallet box compact as you pay mostly for weight but also size. I bolted accessories to the stand under the heads. The freight forwarder you select can tell you the requirements include haz-mat issues. Do not have the pan full of oil or any such thing. Talking to people who actually ship to OZ routinely is a great idea, you may get a better rate through someone who already has a forwarding account.

I put the pallet in the truck with my engine hoist and then added the box with dry wall screws. The friegt co. will use a fork truck to get it out of your p/u. Label the points where an inspector can open the box. I used basic lag bolts on the top for that. I made a carb mount lift plate and sent it that way as I wanted to be sure it was unloaded by the buyer in one piece at the other end.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                          I ship motors/trannys everywhere for the junkyard...
                          If a motor is being shipping in the states it gets:
                          Strapped to a used pallet with seatbelts & drywall screws & I shrink wrap the piss out of it.
                          Then I create a bill of lading & the freight company picks it up & takes it to the terminal.

If a motor is going out of the country it's a whole different game...
                          Motors going out of the country get a thorough cleaning/WD-40 bath. We build a crate/pallet with an oil mat. The motor is secured at the motor mounts & bellhousing & shrink wrapped. Then the lid goes on...

You have to fill out declaration forms for customs stating the items declared value, insured value, description, *business or personal(*dependent on import/export & tax laws of country item is being shipped to) Once all the paperwork is done you ship it out. Depending on the freight company you use the item will be picked up at your location or you drop it off at the terminal IN A TRUCK!!!
                          After that it sits in customs (for longer than it takes to ship it), usually 2-8 weeks depending on the country. Countries like UK require you to deposit money into an escrow account for tranactions exceeding $5000 which is refunded once the item clears customs(my UK friend just dealt with this)

If you need more 'specific' answers contact an international freight company & ask them. That's what we did...
                          I ship internationally. Not only does the crate have to be ISPM-15 certified if you use plywood/osb it has to be certified also.
                          Australia does not allow uncertified plywood/osb(ask me how I know). For international OCEAN shiping google iqglobal.com
                          you can get online rates etc from them.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                          X