X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving your hot rod in the rain

Do you? if not, why not?
    I don't.

I'll go first - I don't drive my Buick in the rain for two reasons.... most important first - there is a leak just above the driver that lands in my lap.
    the wipers don't work.... dunno why, they worked when I bought the car but after I painted it, they didn't.
    3.73 gears, tons of torque, wide tires make driving the car a handful in anything but dry.
    that said it did get driven in the rain once, - rainx is good stuff.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

'54 has a windshield leak that killed my aftermarket stereo sitting in the glove box.
    ranger - don't care much about that one - if I finally get it all one color - that color will probably be expoxy primer green for quite some time.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I drive mine no matter what the weather is doing .... yes, even a few times in the snow (as long as the streets aren't snow covered/packed). Rain doesn't bother me one bit and the Hoosier DOTs actually drive ok in it, just can't hammer the throttle ....
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I drove Goliath last weekend in the rain, and learned a couple things.

The rear brakes lock up really easy on wet pavement, like REALLY easy. They also take a second to release when the pedal is released, due to the Rube Goldberg air/hydraulic brakes. Gotta be ginger with the pedal. I got dialed in after a couple miles of starts and stops on the way to the office. There was a situation where a mini-van was looking like it was going to be victimized by the truck, but I got it hauled down in time.

It steers fine, and does awesome at blasting through big puddles.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I have no choice. They are all I own and all three leak somewhere. The Impala is the worst. Both top and bottom leak. Its next on the getting fixed list. Fifteen years is too long to deal with it.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I don't deliberately drive the 'Stang in the rain (assuming I dig it out of the shop and get to driving it this year) but I don't get all freaky if I get caught in it, either. I drive it a LOT with the top down so it's a bit of a PITA to stop and run the top up but I've done it often. Especially when we lived in MI where rain could happen at a moment's notice. Takes a light throttle foot in the rain, for sure.

Dan

Comment

I have driven all my cars year round. Rain I doesn't bother me in any of them. I've been way more conservative with the snow driving the last couple years and let the jeep take the brunt of it. Between Bonneville and winter driving the Skylark is showing early signs of salt rusting (more rust put on the car in the last two/three years than the previous 30) so I'm being a ton more cautious and wash it more.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

rain yes, snow no

Comment

cougar yes, usually DD in the summer.
                  Mustang, plan is taking it to Drag week so I am sure it will get rained on...
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    I have driven all my cars year round. Rain I doesn't bother me in any of them. I've been way more conservative with the snow driving the last couple years and let the jeep take the brunt of it. Between Bonneville and winter driving the Skylark is showing early signs of salt rusting (more rust put on the car in the last two/three years than the previous 30) so I'm being a ton more cautious and wash it more.

Randal, have you thought about one of those corrosion resistance kits that you wire to the car. I really don't know much about them or what they are actually called, but it's a deal that attaches to the frame and is some how wired in and it is supposed to abate the salt corrosion and such.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I haven't looked much into it. Right now it's all just surface rust that mostly brushes off with my finger. But bolts that have been on the car and looked as good as new for decades now have a coating of rust. I'll clean a bunch of it up when I do some body work to it and paint it. Then I'll be much more watchful afterwards.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I never leave with it when its raining, but I've come home in the rain a BUNCH of times!!

Best with a passenger.

I do have a top to put up, but its tricky to drive with it installed.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

No. Mainly because we are still trying to remember what rain is.

If it EVER rains here, I probably won't get the Mustang out in it because I'm fairly sure the t-tops will leak.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I pretty much just get to drive the shoebox on weekends and
                            have driven in the rain but my wipers aren't the best....actually
                            suck and stopping ability isn't the greatest.

I'm not going to put at risk other drivers.

Right now I don't venture out at all.......you can get into
                            a frog choking rain pretty quick...plus add in the threat of
                            hail.
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I try not to drive the 68 in the rain, b/c I don't want it to get dirty, b/c I don't want to wash it, b/c I am rather wash some thing that gets driven hundreds of miles a week instead of hundreds of miles a year. It can stay under the cover durring the rain and come out on the sunny days None of my cars do well in the snow so I try to drive my F150 when the roads are white
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X