Outside Paint Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Paint Help

Anybody have any recommendations for outside paint that can be used on a deck? The last paint I used, called Sikkeos Rubbol Siding Finish, is literally peeling off in large sheets off of the wood AND the primer/old paint. I need something that'll last more than a year.
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

I haven't done a lot of decks, but the few that I have done we've used Behr deck paint. Prep is the key, make sure all of the old loose paint is scraped good and do a good pressure wash if possible. That will open the wood up so the new paint will adhere better.. That's about all I got ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70 View Post
      Anybody have any recommendations for outside paint that can be used on a deck? The last paint I used, called Sikkeos Rubbol Siding Finish, is literally peeling off in large sheets off of the wood AND the primer/old paint. I need something that'll last more than a year.
      if it's peeling off in large sheets, I don't think it was a product failure..
      prep was , or still wet wood

Comment

No, I've painted these decks so many times I know the drill...clean, scrape, dry, prime, paint. Last time I even did use the pressure washer, but F'd up the lattice in the gazebo area because I didn't know it was redwood. Now that I know Behr makes deck paint, though, I'll definitely be looking into that. I'd love to see all of it replaced with that composite stuff, but between the 3 decks there's a perimeter of almost 225ft. that have rails and it isn't cheap.
        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70 View Post
          No, I've painted these decks so many times I know the drill...clean, scrape, dry, prime, paint. Last time I even did use the pressure washer, but F'd up the lattice in the gazebo area because I didn't know it was redwood. Now that I know Behr makes deck paint, though, I'll definitely be looking into that. I'd love to see all of it replaced with that composite stuff, but between the 3 decks there's a perimeter of almost 225ft. that have rails and it isn't cheap.
          how long u let the wood dry after pushing water into it with that pressure washer?
          if you can rent a hardwood floor sander I'd take the boards down to wood on the board face and use color stain..
          wood expands and paint does to but at different rates.. and when the wood shrinks. the paint might not enough..
          and then fails..
          good luck.. colored stain then tomsons water seal..

Comment

I gave up two years ago and installed a product called Geo Deck
            a tongue grove composite decking and white vinyl railing.
            I just got tired of staining every few years the cedar.

As far as a wood deck......on the horizontal surfaces you pretty
            much need to use a semi transparent as a solid doesn't hold up well
            to traffic.
            A solid stain will do ok on hand rails and pickets.

You need to use lots of care when power washing......it will splinter the wood and
            drives lots of moisture into it.
            Let it dry for several days.

I always squeege off any excess moisture....as opposed
            to a broom as it drives the moisture into the wood.

We sell several products for decking........Cabot Stain is one and
            does well....Thompson's & Olympic makes a product as well.. The Sikkens you mentioned is a high end product used by
            lots of folks who live on water.

Use a good bristle brush on horizontal surface when applying as this
            will get the product worked well into the wood.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Usually it's a few weeks from the time they're cleaned till I get time to paint them. A sander wouldn't work because it's the rails I have to paint. The horizontal boards get stained, but that's not my problem to deal with, thankfully. Sikkens makes more sense than Sikkeos lol. There was paint on the can and I couldn't tell what it was. I'm just gonna try to strip as much paint as possible before I do anything so most of it will go straight on the wood and not old paint. My parents might have to give in and get composite after I'm not around to do all this for them.

Comment

If paint peels, it's usually because there was moisture behind it...

I do a lot of painting. I don't know much about the products they sell at Lowes and Home Depot, but the people behind the counter don't do it for me. Can't match colors very well, don't know how to tint certain primers, etc.
                The people at Sherwin Williams know their products and know how to use them, they offer sound advice. Not cheap, but worth it. (look for coupons or ask for discounts) They have a product called "deck scapes" solid color stain. That's what I use on decks. If it will hold up under foot traffic, it'll work for hand rails.

Comment

Working...
                X