odd request, sun screen qustion for chrome domes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd request, sun screen qustion for chrome domes

Hello, the time has come that my thinning hair is an issue while out in the sun, and tho, not bald, it's thin enough that I'm getting a nice burn already..
    I can wear a hat while out and about but when working on the truck or the chevelle, it gets in the way..
    is there a sun screen that doesn't make your hair look like a 50's greaser..

only other thing I could think of was those winter hats, that hip hop has made a year round hat,, if I could find a light colored one(white/tan) that wasn't winter thick.. I'd try that as it also keep the sweat out of my eyes..
    and keep the hair clean..
    any other ideas

Time for a do-rag and a hoopty.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      Time for a do-rag and a hoopty.
      not down with the lingo mang..
      what

Comment

bicyclists use a "scrub hat" that is breathable yet keeps the burn away... http://www.etsy.com/listing/69848210...lore-scrub-cap
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Another similar hat the weldors wear to keep sparks off their heads - most of them I've seen tie on sort of like a "dew rag" or bandana.
          check out the selections here:
          See why Weldfabulous is one of the top online welding supply stores with deeply discounted welding supplies and equipment. Huge selection from top brands including Miller Electric, Lincoln Electric, C-K, Tillman, and more. Free standard U.S. shipping.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Having the occaisional run in with the trimmers while intoxicated and being fair skinned, I'm sympathetic. I use the "sports" , ie, waterproof SPF 50 or more and don't worry about it all that much. Any linen hat makes you sweat and any hat at all will cause continued traction hair loss. Pick your poison.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

welders cap or bandana work for me...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Hair Club?
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Gail, I've tried clubbing mine but it still won't behave.

Not all hats are a high SPF - that's right, the sun can come thru some of 'em, and do-rags, too. They should have an SPF rating if they are so constructed. You could PM NARIDER (Todd Dross) and ask what he uses as it seems to work OK. He spends a LOT of time at Maxton and Bonneville so I'd take his recommendation. He's bald as a billiard ball.

Dan

Comment

My hair is sparse to negligible and getting worse. I always wear a hat. Usually it is baseball style hat. If the bill gets in the way, I simply turn it around. I don't get a sunburned head ever. I usually wear a khaki colored one as they are cooler than a dark colored one. At Maxton I sometimes wear a hat with a flap that hangs down to protect my neck, that seems to work pretty well. I have found that hats with air holes or woven straw ones can very easily leave dots or a mesh sunburn on the old hairless head. As far as sunscreen for the head, I don't see why the same sunscreen you put elsewhere won't work on the head, but as you stated it gives you the distinctively grease ball look.
                    Last edited by JRoberts; May 2, 2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

thanks it'll give me ideas..
                      I used coppertone the other day and the hair was greasy, maybe I'll try a higher # screen and less of it..

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                        Hello, the time has come that my thinning hair is an issue while out in the sun, and tho, not bald, it's thin enough that I'm getting a nice burn already..
                        I can wear a hat while out and about but when working on the truck or the chevelle, it gets in the way..
                        is there a sun screen that doesn't make your hair look like a 50's greaser..

only other thing I could think of was those winter hats, that hip hop has made a year round hat,, if I could find a light colored one(white/tan) that wasn't winter thick.. I'd try that as it also keep the sweat out of my eyes..
                        and keep the hair clean..
                        any other ideas
                        I'm full on chrome dome and I usually use the Coppertone spray stuff. I find that, for the most part, it isn't too greasy and it doesn't run into my eyes as much as the other products out there.

I usually use an SPF30 or so. Nothing crazy like a 50. And I'm a ginger kid.

Last edited by daved931; May 2, 2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

How long did it take to land that monster Dave ? Still better than a good day at work though right ?
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Bullfrog is the best stuff I've ever used and I've tried it all,get the spray on stuff. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CE0Q8wIwBQ#

Comment

thanks I'll give it a go

Comment

Working...
                              X