Squealing Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing Belts

OK, every belt is BRAND NEW, less than 2 months old, and they have squealed ever since I put them in, I've tried countless adjustments, and even belt dressing, which only seemed to make it worse
    Seriously, when I have the wheel cranked all the way, and I even think about throttle, it's an extremely loud squeal,
    I find this to be very embarassing
    When I'm trying to go faster, and the RPMs are high, there is also a quiet squeal
    It's driving me nuts!

I don't want to go out and buy new belts, but think that could help?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

What are you using to check the belt tension when you adjust them? I use a tension gauge, it's surprising how tight they have to be.
    Attached Files
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I had this problem on the Mustang. A little bit of brake fluid on the belt made it stop for a period of time. I ended up crawling under it one day and found out one of the mounts on my alternator was cracked. A little bit of welding and grinding fixed the problem
      Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

yup after you get them tight enough, you'll want to check the alignment, and the condition of the pulleys. Also don't confuse belt squeal with bearing noise, if there are any idlers they could be making noise, as well as the alternator,, water pump, smog pump, or ac compressor. And I think that some Ramblers used those noisy Ford power steering pumps.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I had a serpentine setup that squealed with a new belt that I _thought_ was clean. I took it off and washed it thoroughly with Dawn, washed all the pulleys with Dawn and scotch brite, rinsed completely, and dried everything with air and brake cleaner on the pulleys. Fixed.

I think it got some antifreeze on it. Another trick is talcum powder on the pulleys... if it quiets down, I'd go ahead and clean everything.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I had a 1950 Stude truck whose belt squealed a lot. Tension and alignment was okay. I kept a bar of soap in the glove box. When the sqealing started I put her in neutral and with engine at idle I let the belt run over the soap. It worked every time. The cure lasted for quite a while.
            Last edited by JRoberts; May 4, 2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              yup after you get them tight enough, you'll want to check the alignment, and the condition of the pulleys. Also don't confuse belt squeal with bearing noise, if there are any idlers they could be making noise, as well as the alternator,, water pump, smog pump, or ac compressor. And I think that some Ramblers used those noisy Ford power steering pumps.
              If you know how to listen to the above mentioned items, use a long screwdriver and listen.
              OH YEAH
              Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Working...
              X