Do these LED tailights need a relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these LED tailights need a relay?

Or do you just plug em in? They're for a customer, so keep your comments to yourself. Thank you

STUGOTS

Should not need a relay. LEDs put out more light per amp than bulbs do. The most common problem is that they do not draw enough current, so the flasher can doesn't work. If that's the case you might need an electronic flasher module.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

normally you just plug them in.... however, if you're asking the question - what makes you think you might?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Probably just the normal weak understanding of electronics that most car guys have.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
          normally you just plug them in.... however, if you're asking the question - what makes you think you might?
          First and foremost.."better safe than sorry". Second-as complex as the circuitry appears, one might suspect it'd need more current to operate than the simple bulb it replaces (see #1)
          Last edited by groucho; May 4, 2011, 09:38 AM.
          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Should not need a relay. LEDs put out more light per amp than bulbs do. The most common problem is that they do not draw enough current, so the flasher can doesn't work. If that's the case you might need an electronic flasher module.
            Cool, I have that flasher. Thanks
            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
              Or do you just plug em in? They're for a customer, so keep your comments to yourself. Thank you

see the bulb socket end it just goes in like a bulb would,, but the FLASHER YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE, as the led's don't draw enough to flash

Comment

I would bet the little black piece is a resistor. If so, they should work just fine even with the original flasher.
                If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

The little black piece is a diode, the little tan pieces are resistors. LEDs need resistors in series with them to limit current. There might or might not be some resistors in parallel to help the flasher work.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Glad you posted this up.......always wondered how these units
                    worked.

They for a '57 Chevy?
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      Glad you posted this up.......always wondered how these units
                      worked.

They for a '57 Chevy?
                      Yes. BTW-apparently the front bulbs need to be LED's as well. The directionals now don't work.

OK, the directionals now work after reinstalling the stock flasher (LED rear/stock bulbs front)
                      Last edited by groucho; May 4, 2011, 03:12 PM.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

there is a scenario that needs a relay. I get it mixed up.

it may be blinkers... brakes do not need? That is where I left off with them. I chose to use LED as lights that don't blink.
                        check on your model of truck/car, get a real answer.

the fade of incandescent is much more pleasant anyway...
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 4, 2011, 02:09 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The little black piece is a diode, the little tan pieces are resistors. LEDs need resistors in series with them to limit current. There might or might not be some resistors in parallel to help the flasher work.
                          You sure Jim? Hard to tell by the pic, but LED = Light Emitting DIODE can't think why it would need another

DOH! Brain fart, never mind, I'll go sit back in the corner
                          Last edited by Vegaman; May 4, 2011, 06:05 PM.
                          "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                            there is a scenario that needs a relay. I get it mixed up.

it may be blinkers... brakes do not need? That is where I left off with them. I chose to use LED as lights that don't blink.
                            check on your model of truck/car, get a real answer.

the fade of incandescent is much more pleasant anyway...
                            When we re wired the shoebox......the horn came with a relay
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                              Yes. BTW-apparently the front bulbs need to be LED's as well. The directionals now don't work.

OK, the directionals now work after reinstalling the stock flasher (LED rear/stock bulbs front)
                              Odd. In my Blazer, I used the LED 1157 bulbs in the rear, standard incandescant bulbs everywhere else. The stock flasher wouldn't flash - had to use an electronic flasher.
                              Apparently different setups require different parts to work properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X