Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ford" starter solenoid brands

Howdy,

I'm putting my battery in the trunk and putting the starter solenoid in the trunk aswell since the battery and the starter on the same side of the car as the fuel lines and I don't want to have the primary link between the front and the back running next to the fuel lines. I'm following the MAD "new system" with the trunk mounted starter solenoid but I don't want to buy a parts store solenoid if its crap and there is a better one out there. A quick browse through the Summit catelog tells me there really isn't much difference since no big names seem to make one. What's the deal? Just get a parts store unit or is there one out there that's more expensive but definatively better.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: "Ford" starter solenoid brands

i have been using auto zones "gold" solenoids for a while. the one in my bronco has handled my hi tq starter now for about 5 years with no problems. ha ha, i even put one on my riding lawn mower about a year ago. i havent realy tried any others due to the fact that these have lasted good for me.
    -vic

Comment

I use the original Ford solenoids, but I get them at cost. They retail at about $37.00. There are some others out there that would be just fine and probably less money. There's not much to them, so not much to go wrong.

Comment

Parts store units in the back of both race cars here. Going on 6 years without problems.

Comment

Peterbilt. No kidding.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

You find a old Starter "Relay" off a jeep has a button on the bottom works good for lashing valves
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by thevic24
              i have been using auto zones "gold" solenoids for a while. I havent realy tried any others due to the fact that these have lasted good for me.
              -vic
              X2. I've used them in all of my Fords that I've had over the years, and I use them when I retrofit a solenoid into a GM brand car. never had a problem out of them and they're cheaper than the ones from Ford.

Comment

When I was a body man I had done a few front clips, on a taurus, had a sable, and a mustang {rental car work} and I saved the OEM started solenoid of these mid-90's stuff. Had used one in my '84 f150, and no problem for 7+ years with it. After that, any time I could, I would snag them from the you-pull-it places, but after 20-25 of them sitting in a shed, I'm covered for a while now. I figured the EFI stuff, like early explorers with the gear reduction starters were perfect canidates as well.
                Andrew
                1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                X