Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help that is not car realted LOL (robotics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help that is not car realted LOL (robotics)

ok some of you older bangshifters remember a couple years back when i got into costume prop making as a hobby and now im looking for some help in making a iron man helmet flip open by the push of a button. i know someone here plays with robotics as a hobby.....

currently the way i make them swing open is by placing a hinge on each side. it still has to be wearable as this is part of a costume. eventually i would like to make the whole suit have specific moving parts like the movie.

Last edited by shaun callaway; May 9, 2011, 11:15 AM.

Calling Mr. Squirrel, Mr. Squirrel to the answering room please
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

AHHHHH yes it was squirrel .... im sure he will chime in soon hopefully lol

Comment

I got nothing to add other than your Halo costume looked bad-ass.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks bro

heres a refresher picture for those of you who are wondering what silver is talking about ... all is hand made

Last edited by shaun callaway; May 9, 2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

The pool cue looks like it was made by machine.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

ahahahaha yes it was as its not part of the costume hahahahaha

Comment

WHOA, that's freakin awesome!
                Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

lol thanks bro....

Comment

squirrel where are you? hahaha

Comment

Was it this week or last week he was traveling to a - yep - robot show ?
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

For concealment, maybe the helmet lid needs to be cable operated? Kinda like a shifter cable. The actuator could be concealed somewhere, like along your back? idk, just brainstorming.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

You're looking for some type of actuator for it, right? Hard to tell from the pics how the hinges work.

Any type of motorized actuator (such as a servo) is going to be rather bulky. You might be able to use a pneumatic system, with a small cylinder or two on the helmet, and a remotely mounted compressed air or CO2 storage container and valve. The cable idea might work too, not sure how it would be actuated, possibly a servo or small power window motor. Anything electric will require a battery too.

I like watching movies about robots, because since it's art, the robot don't really need to work. When I first saw Wall-e I said "where are the actuators?" Being an artist frees you from the real world problems of making things that actually work. So this is not going to be an easy project!
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

look at catt tape player doors that opened slowly for ideas..
                            they have to hinges like your helmet/mask and where spring loaded, with a gear/clutch that was small/cheap and slowed the door movement..

Comment

I coach a robotics team that goes to national competitions. What squirrel said is right on. I also teach the KISS method. I'd suggest you have type of spring loaded design on that hinge and have the mask stay shut with a latch or button. We use futaba servos mainly, but you'll also need a power supply and some type of processor and controller. Vex has some interesting and affordable things for hobbiest. Good luck.
                              Powertour off/on since 2002
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X