Stop for School Buses!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
    He thinks we are going to think he's actually a popular guy, when all he's really doing is asking his wife "whats for dinner"
    hahaha
    when I'm texting at a light it is my wife..
    hahahha..
    soory when I'm on the road, most are in bed

Comment

My mom was rearended because the guy in front of her was looking at a hottie and stopped, trapping her behind him on a no stopping street, no texting involved this was years ago. A guy at work just got rearended and the girl that hit him was texting, his car is totalled but he is ok.
      When work first made me have a cell phone and before all the warnings and accidents I tried talking on it while driving and watched my speed decrease drastically, I found it very distracting and it is definately different than talking to someone in the car with you or swearing into the air while alone, or singing with the radio. I felt like my attention was pulled into some kind of tech wormhole and it took effort to concentrate on the call, effort that should have been directed toward driving. After a few tries I totally gave up on it and just pull over somewhere...I can't imagine trying to text while driving, if the phone rings I pass it to Loren or my daughter or just let it go...I won't be able to find it anyway! It lights up, vibrates and makes noise and I still can't find it! I would have an accident just looking for the stupid phone!

~Gail

note 1) Like the chicken recipe Peewee
      note 2) Walt you are an elequent young man
      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; May 12, 2011, 08:25 AM.
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        For someone who doesn't text while driving (although technically you are still driving, even if you are just sitting at a light with your foot on the brake, but I digress), you sure have a defensive thing about it. I mean, I don't smoke dope, but I don't get defensive about others doing it.....what gives?

what gives is I can't text my wife on the road because texting is banned , because it's become the scapgoat for everything..

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
          what gives is I can't text my wife on the road because texting is banned , because it's become the scapgoat for everything..
          I've long believed that any kind of communication, other than face-to-face or in person, requires a pretty significant amount of extra attention. I've been lucky enough to be able to work from home for for a while and one thing I know is true, is that I spend far less time apologising to the wife for inadvertent comments via email or text that pissed her off, since she can come see me whenever we need to talk. I also spend far MORE time making sure that co-workers and bosses don't misunderstand a simple response as being motivated by anything other than a lack of time to write down fully what I mean. It's what forks people up on Twitter so often. Why do you think some dope invented those smiley things?

I also spent the better part of 5 years with a motorcycle as my only means of transportation. If there is anything that teaches you the importance of eye-to-eye contact with other drivers to figure out what people are intending, I haven't seen it. There is no way that any kind of phoning or texting or emailing can be done without a huge impact on your ability to deal with an emergency. If I have people in my car, they're largely seeing the same thing I am, and know that when I stop talking, it's because of something I'm dealing with behind the wheel. They can also be helpful in pointing out when I'm being less than attentive (for all of the married folks ).

Do I talk on the phone while I'm in the car? My job often demands it.

Have I ever responded to a text or email while driving? I'm sorry to say that I have, and more than a few times.

Will I ever again? Probably, but I've had a recent reminder that should be strong enough to keep me from doing it.

I know the law of averages is a fallacy, but for every trip I take without distraction I firmly believe I will be less likely to screw it up.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

It's about being sensible about it, and far too many people lack that ability, and most often don't even realize they lack that ability.

I drive the definition of wide open empty straight roads. I text and such from time to time driving them, the only thing that will happen is A) Me driving off the road or B) Taking out an animal I "may" of seen otherwise. I'm all eyes on the road when another driver is approaching from the other direction because even in broad daylight middle of no where I've had others cross the line right as they get near me, so I watch them for myself. Now, when I get into town, no texting while driving, and as a general rule same when out of town and in places like Las Vegas and other well populated areas with crazy drivers.

As for talking on the phone, like PatricksDad, driving is priority one, I have no issue going silent or asking someone to repeat something because my full attention reverted back to the road because a car was doing something funny or an intersection was coming up. I don't slow down one bit on the phone, and I definately maintain my position in traffic relative to the cars around me, if anything it puts me in a heighten sense of awareness because I know I have to focus harder. But each is different, I like Turk's opinion, lol. I too ride motorcycles, and like PatricksDad, and if you want to continue riding for any length of time and distance you have to pay attention to a lot more of your surroundings than you might in a car, as you are not seen as well, as well as your own well being is threatened more.

Going around a school bus is just negligence. As mentioned, the damn thing is ALWAYS yellow, then red flashing lights pop up from time to time. As soon as you see the yellow that should key ANY driver into more caution, even a mile or more off.

Stitch is waiting to mow down a midnight jay-walker. Don't worry, it'll be the jay-walkers fault.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              Stitch is waiting to mow down a midnight jay-walker. Don't worry, it'll be the jay-walkers fault.
              how pray tell would one do that at a red light, car stopped? as seen as jay-walkers don't cross at lights..
              ;)
              Last edited by Stich496; May 12, 2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                how pray tell would one do that at a red light, car stopped? as seen as jay-walkers don't cross at lights..
                ;)
                all true, but that guy laying on his horn behind you when the light turns green and you're still typing to your BFF is me. Or you're so busy texting you don't notice the ambulance trying to get around stopped traffic.... next example?
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 12, 2011, 10:53 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                  all true, but that guy laying on his horn behind you when the light turns green and you're still typing to your BFF is me. Or you're so busy texting you don't notice the ambulance trying to get around stopped traffic.... next example?
                  yup texting makes you deaf now too,
                  as far as the lights, most know about what amount of time you have from red to green,
                  I can tell you the ones that you'll sit for over 90 seconds

Comment

Working...
                  X