No announcement yet.

48 Hour Camaro Build is LIVE Monday!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Hour Camaro Build is LIVE Monday!!!

Yes boys and girls, it is finally here. Spread the word, it is free to watch, and will be live for 48 and a half hours over 3 days. Plus you can join us for the cruise of the new car from Ridetech in Jasper Indiana, to the Goodguys Show in Nashville on Thursday.

Watch the live broadcast here.

The companies involved, the thrash, and all the action will be live. No behind the scenes crap. All live, and I'm hosting the damn thing? Plus you'll be able to interact with us via live chat. Ask questions, make comments, tell us what to do. We'll be live for 48 hours and it's all about showing you what REALLY goes into building a bitchin muscle car.
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Below are the last few days thoughts and information from Bret Voelkel at Ridetech. The car that we are building belongs to him, and he's super excited about it. Check it out below.

As the start time for the 48 Hour Camaro gets closer, activity is starting to pick up. I haven’t posted much about all this yet because most of it was boring preparation stuff. Now that there is some tangible progress, here are some highlights:

• Lingenfelter engine – LS3 that will make about 580 hp. You will see a full-on tech video of the build and the dyno session that we’ll put up after the actual live build. In a 3400 lb Camaro, this thing should rock!
    • Autogear Muncie 4 speed – Why? So I can shift it under power and so it will fit in the stock trans tunnel.
    • Gear Vendors overdrive unit – I LOVE these things…22% overdrive…bolt-on installation…strong as a bull moose…likely the most durable piece on the car. The REALLY cool thing is that on an autocross you can split the gears without the clutch…1st gear…1st and a half…2nd gear…this really means a lot on a short course.
    • Moser rearend – Its really the only thing I would use. They are right here in Indiana, they make a bulletproof rearend [important the way I like to drive], they ALWAYS deliver when promised, and the product is ALWAYS correct. How do you improve on that?
    • Baer Brakes – I’ve use all kinds of brakes…they all work well. I love the Baer stuff because they go the extra step to figure out exactly what you are doing with the car and then recommend the appropriate components. There is not much that Todd, Bill, and the rest of the Baer guys have not seen, heard, raced, or fixed.
    • Forgeline wheels – light, strong, and gorgeous…everything a wheel should be. Oh, yeah…they delivered exactly when they said they would , too. ☺
    • BFG tires – I’ve been running BFG tires for the last 5-6 years…just couldn’t see trying to learn a new tire. They are predictable and fast…and when not being abused on the racetrack, they ride nicely and wear good too!
    There’s more…MUCH more. I’ll be making regular posts on this thread, some with pictures, but most with links to the www.48hour.com website. More soon!

More cool 48 hour Camaro stuff…
    About a week before we start the build and more stuff rolling through the door. It’s starting to look like Christmas!
    • Ididit steering column – Always fits, tilt mechanism doesn’t bind anywhere in the travel, excellent delivery, and EVERYTHING you need come with it. Ken and Jane Callison and their crew are always quite knowledgeable on the best and easiest ways to install their product…a true joy to work with.
    • Ricks Stainless Tanks – If you have ever tried to build a tank yourself…one that will deliver fuel through the corners, fits that car, and doesn’t leak… you will certainly appreciate this piece!
    • Earl’s hose and fittings – I personally like the Ultraflex 650 series. It’s expensive, but really easy to work with and looks great to boot. We invested in a crimping machine a couple of cars ago…I remember too painfully trying to get the stainless hose assembled with greasy hands. It’s also light, strong, and will accommodate a very tight bend radius without kinking.
    • Anvil carbon gauge and dash panels – I’ve made these before…that’s why I bought them this time. Plus, carbon fiber is just…cool.
    • American Autowire – These guys make everyone’s most unfavorite job a lot easier. You need to see the LARGE color wiring diagrams!
    • Autometer – Their Pro Comp Stack dash is F1 cool, has a host of configurable sensor readings…AND has an analog looking sweep tach [for us old school guys].
    • Holley EFI, oil pan, and engine mounts – This stuff went directly to Lingenfelter so I won’t see it til the engine gets here ☹. The Lingenfelter guys are stoked up on it though…they tell me I’ll love it!
    Can’t wait until Monday’s Fedex deliveries!

I’ve been asked a few times why the “bum rush” on getting a car done in 48 hours. Well, the goal isn’t really to set a world’s record for the quickest built car. The goal is to demonstrate how the combination of good planning and good parts can make a successful project. Most of you know a lot of time and expense is tied up with the wrong selection of parts, changing your mind on the projects direction, or delivery delays. Hopefully, proper research and planning can eliminate the wrong selection of parts and incompatible parts. The compressed build time will definitely eliminate any change in direction! Delivery delays…well, were ever hopeful.
    With the availability of tech info through manufacturer’s websites and internet forums, much of the pre planning can be done before the first bolt is turned…even before the car is bought. That was the gameplan here. I built several cars before, but still spent a huge amount of time looking at web info and lurking on the various forums to determine what equipment I wanted to use. If you look over the list of suppliers for this project you will find companies that not only build a great product, but support it with superior tech info and a reliable delivery time. I place a lot of stock in reliable delivery…the best parts in the world don’t do much good if you can’t get them! This group of manufacturers is not a list of who would give away parts for free…they build and deliver some of the finest products and service in the country. Most of them we have used successfully before…that is why we are using them again. They just flat work.

It’s now only a few days before we start building the 48 Hour Camaro. Some of the smaller details are starting to rear their ugly little heads…battery hold down…pedal pads…lugnuts…air cleaner…you know, stuff like that. Normally, this is stuff that you just order or pick up the next time you get a chance. For this project, we don’t get a second chance!
    Today the Autometer Stack panel arrived, as did the Dynamat kit, the clutch and bellhousing system from American Powertrain, and the Kicker stero stuff.
    Then there is all the other logistical stuff like food, drinks, rooms, tools, lights, creepers. You tend to take that stuff for granted…until the camera gets turned on!
    Last edited by BangShiftChad; May 12, 2011, 10:30 AM.
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

48 hour build RAW update from Chad

Comment

Update 2! Raw

Chad with update 2

Comment

update 3! Raw

Comment

Update 4! Raw

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

Update 5! RAW

Comment

It's pass midnight and you got 150 viewers on a blank screen-lol That's cool. See you tomorrow and thanks for the youtube updates. I had to take off and just got back and I can see what I missed, that's great.
                Last edited by ethelkilledfred; May 17, 2011, 12:28 AM.

Comment

No updates today?
                  Tim
                  Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

RideTech garage tour during the build

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

It has degenerated to this:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Route2; May 17, 2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

They could a least leave the sound on so we can hear them snoring-LOL

Comment

Where is Groucho, they got a cool Gasser on the live feed

Comment

Working...
                              X