Who doesn't love WD-40!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who doesn't love WD-40!

San Diego is not only the home of many branches of the military it is also the home of WD-40! NBC San Diego recently saluted WD-40 for raising money for better health care for veterans by launching the Military Collectible Can Series. WD-40 is a local company here formerly known as the Rocket Chemical Company.

We salute local company WD-40 and their launch of a collectable series of cans recognizing all branches of the military.

A team of inventors back in 1953 were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry. Norm Larsen while attempting a formula to prevent corrosion by displacing water was successful on his 40th attempt, thus the name WD-40: Water Displacement 40th attempt.

The uses of WD-40 have far overreached its original purpose and it has been used successfully to remove pythons from buses, extricate burglars stuck in air conditioner vents, removal of stickers and as an ant killer.
    It protects silver from tarnishing
    Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
    Rremoves oil spots off concrete
    Keeps flies off cows
    Restores and cleans chalkboards
    Removes lipstick stains
    Loosens zippers
    keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
    Gives floors that just-waxed sheen without being slippery
    Removes tomato stains from clothing
    Can make a kids slide super fast
    Keeps bathroom mirrors from fogging
    Discourages Pigeons as they hate the smell
    People have even used it on their bodies to relieve arthritis pain...

If you want to show em some love here is the fan club:

Have a great day!
    ~Gail
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

I have used it (**insert product safety disclaimer here**) with a match to combat wasps. It seems the ensuing fireball burns their wings off and then they are easy targets once they hit the ground. The nests go up in flames nicely with a little WD-40 accelerant as well.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

hhhmmmm loosens zippers, I will have to remember that next time the SO wears pants with zippers.

I also found it works great to get the brake dust off the aluminum WS6 wheels on my 98 Formula.

Comment

BBR - that must have been an old can- the new stuff isn't flammable!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

While WD40 is good stuff with many uses, Keith Turk turned me on to an important issue with it - WD40 does not leave a layer of slippery stuff behind once it's done it's job. So it's great for loostening up a padlock, for example, but will not protect it from further weathering. Hence the myriad of other products like Sea Foam. Each has it's place.

Dan

Comment

I've got a list of stuff a mile long on my website. And there's also a video where a guy uses WD-40 to inflate a tire hanging on the rim. Spray vigorously inside the tire, add fire, then WHUMMMMP! The tire is inflated.

I didn't believe it at all, another fake video. But my rocket scientist buddy in Florida declared it's possible, and there's more than one video on the net showing it being done. I still don't believe it, at least I can't figure it out, the physics of it...so, what's inside the tire now that it's inflated? I can't figure that one out.

But I can't follow the plot to Gilligan's Island, either.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              I've got a list of stuff a mile long on my website. And there's also a video where a guy uses WD-40 to inflate a tire hanging on the rim. Spray vigorously inside the tire, add fire, then WHUMMMMP! The tire is inflated.

I didn't believe it at all, another fake video. But my rocket scientist buddy in Florida declared it's possible, and there's more than one video on the net showing it being done. I still don't believe it, at least I can't figure it out, the physics of it...so, what's inside the tire now that it's inflated? I can't figure that one out.

But I can't follow the plot to Gilligan's Island, either.

I've used ether to seat the beat on tires. Makes a bad smell when you light it, but it pops the tire right out.

Comment

It's fish oil I say, fish oil!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  It's fish oil I say, fish oil!!!!!!!!

I sure is. If you spray it on a rubber worm, it makes the bass bite on it like crazy. Makes kind of a sheen when you cast it and it hits the water, though, don't want to fish that way around the naturalists.

Comment

I find new uses for the stuff every time I pick up a can !!!

Comment

It's been said over and over. way before the internet, and so many times since then,

"If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40."

That's an easy-enough formula for me to remember and go by. I live by it, that formula.

WD-40 powers our beer can smasher for recycle, which by the way, is about worn out. Zillions of cans returned to the system, rather than to the dump. No, we're not green, but we're actually saving on trash bags. At a 5:1 reduction ratio, a bag of smashed cans is a LOT of cans, and a lot of volume taken away from the dump.

Sorry, back to WD-40. That stuff lubricates the can smasher.
                      Last edited by pdub; May 19, 2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Junk
                        use super lube

Comment

My dad had tennnis elbow and he swears it makes it feel better... I'm sure the Tin Man would have liked one of those little pen applicators for his pocket.

WD-40 works great for removing the duct tape used to "repair" something. I buy the junk by the gallon.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I use it to get grease stains out of jeans before I wash them. Works pretty good as a quick handcleaner too.

Comment

I think I may start getting it by the gallon and using a spray pump bottle to apply it - I think aerosol cans of stuff like that are designed to waste as much liquid as possible so you have to buy more.

I like KROIL for loosening rusty bolts - WD40 is good for lots of stuff - but it's not KROIL.

PDUB - ETHER to inflate big tires that are off the bead - wd40 is no longer flammable.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X