guess the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let me clarify a little.

From a power-to-weight and power-to-size viewpoint these engines are AMAZING. Many people have used them as aircraft engines in Experimental planes with great success. In fact most of the later Apex Seal improvements have come from the aircraft community - they have them lasting 1000+ hours before overhaul (which is cheap and simple to do).

From a power-per-fuel-consumed perspective, they are awful engines!! they get horrible economy even for the power they can make.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

If you watch one side of the rotor as it travels around the housing, you'll see the four distinct cycles: intake, compression, power, exhaust. The "cylinder" contracts and expands twice per cycle. I'm defining "cylinder" as the variable volume adjacent to one side of the rotor.

A two stroke engine gets everything done with a single expansion/contraction of the "cylinder". The rotary doesn't work like that.

in terms of cycles/revolution, I'd think of it as a 1.5 stroke engine.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

man I would've got it, if you added what engine uses more oil than gas

Comment

I met a guy back in AZ who builds some evil rotary engines, I met him at a local cruise and he was showing it mazda pickup with a rotary engine in it and saw a motorcycle at his house with a rotary engine

link to his website, it has lots of pics and info http://www.azrotaryrockets.com/
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

My sister-in-law has one in a second-gen convert. It was OK 'till about 120K mi or so. It got REAL hard to start and made crappy power. They had an internet-sourced rebuild installed and all is happy now. Not a rocket ship (it's stock) but it'll get your attention. I'm guessing it would be sprightlier if it had a stick but alas, it's an auto.

Dan

Comment

I had an 89 rotory RX7 - they do make awesome power, high-reving hp.... not terribly fuel efficient (15 mpg was the norm). Its apex seal died.... that was the end of that car. I sold it to a guy who has a field of dreams much like others have posted on here (carsinbarns)
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                WINNER!
                They actually inject some of the lubricating oil into the combustion chamber to keep Apex seals lubricated. One of the first thing the guys building them do, is ditch the oil injection and simply mix 50:1 two stroke oil directly in the tank!!
                Those oil injection lines break & cause fires!!!
                My friend Cam knows all about it, he almost lost his RX7 because of it.

Comment

Working...
                X