Weather Radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Radio?

Viewing those photos of Joplin...oh my gosh. My heart and soul pours out to the folks affected by ALL of the storms that are ravaging a great part of our homeland this season, and it's early yet. Most homes in our local area don't have basements. And I'm not real sure if a basement is a decent haven if a mile-wide EF-4 runs over your property. If that by slim chance happens, you're pretty close to toast. A miracle alone will keep you living if you're in the way. It's scary as hell, the prospect of it.

A thing I read today said this general weather pattern will continue for the next few weeks or months, into summer. So more worries for most of us, and more misery for the folks already hit.

After the F-4 splintered the south side or our city a couple or few weeks ago, I felt compelled to go and buy a weather radio. We have one, and I studied the book today and went onlie and got the codes and programmed it for our county.

All of the weather talkers locally say the weather radio can give you enough warning to save your life. Talking it up BIG. And I don't doubt it IF....

We have the computer and the TV. I'm a weather wimp so I'm glued to them both when things are lookig bad. And the weather radio works to give some warning if you don't already know what's going on. Naturally the power will go off during a disaster so the battery backup will continue to give you info, like, "You just got run over and destroyed."

And the weather radio works. It just now went off, a severe thunderstorm warning for our county.

So.....in our case.....okay. So.... we're now aware we have nowhere sturdy or underground to go and hide.

Just some thoughts. This has got to be stressing everybody in in the affected areas of our nation, ....

Weather radio. It doesn't do much for us after we already got it, but I reckon it really helps and saves people in rural areas who have no internet or TV? And in those cases, I wonder if they can pick up the NWS broadcasts, as they only cover a 50-mile radius, typically.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I live in an extremely rural area and I get 3 different WX channels. They're usually broadcast on the same towers as local public television which generally covers rural areas very well.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Well, I think the bigger thing besides the weather radio is, how much information do "we" need?

I'm just doubting the purchase of the weather radio. I have it set to screech when there's a warning that affects our county.

We've got a stick-built house, it's plenty nice. It's not a trailer, but it's got plastic siding on top of particle board. If you launch a Jeep Cherokee at it maybe 200 mph, it goes slam through our house and doesn't slow down, as well as 2x4's and refrigerators from the other houses that are being destroyed.

I hate tornadoes. I hate this tornado season, in particular. It's Mother Nature's form of terrorism. It doesn't hit everybody. But whoever it hits, it destroys. I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it. Did I say I hate it?
      Last edited by pdub; May 26, 2011, 01:04 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

weather radio's are great..

Comment

there's quite a list of things you should have in case of emergency, contact your American Red Cross for information and how you can help.

Really.

I spend a bit of time organizing training for 1st responders - and sometimes I wonder at how many lives are saved because people take the courses "just in case"... it's kind of humorous how apologetic some people are who are taking it "just in case" - they think they're taking space from people who need it more than them.... my opinion is those are exactly the best people to take it (the ones who are taking it just in case.)
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
          X