X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pikes Peak

Originally posted by CJTORINO
    Originally posted by Remy-Z
    I've seen some of those roads, esp. coming back from Royal Gorge and Cripple Creek. Scary?
    Phantom Canyon (the road your thinking of) is an old rail grade.
    that road is pretty tame. very beautiful though.
    That is a butt pucker ride alright. Pkes peak is about 40 miles from where I live and so is Phathom Canyon. Another road and this one is paved is the million dollar highway from Silverton to Ouray.
    HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

I have never been there, but I am determined to make the trip. I really hope they don't pave it as it would take away a good part of the mystique of the mountain. The people who race there have some serious skill, but even more balls. Very Cool.
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I went up a few years ago. The other guys in the car wouldn't let me drive. I don't know what their problem was. I'm an excellent driver.
        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Waaay back in 1925 my Grandparents drove up Pikes during their honeymoon. They were driving Granddad's '19 Model T Touring Sedan. Because the fuel system was gravity fed, he had to drive the entire 17 miles up in reverse in order for the fuel to flow. No pavement and no guard rails at all back then.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Joe,

Like Pikes Peak, Mt. Washington has a race up it's sinuous (how ya like that word!?) road. One crazy dude has achieved speeds of over 100mph in spots on the way up.

The thing went away in 2001 for whatever reason, but it's back this september and it's being run as a vintage race...I think I am going to attend because there should be a lot of weird old cars there.

Brian
            Yea, I knew they had a hillclimb up Mount Washington. Glad to hear that it has resumed. Some of the vintage stuff they run at events like that is phenomenal! (Oh, and "sinuous" is a great description and a great word )

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              Waaay back in 1925 my Grandparents drove up Pikes during their honeymoon. They were driving Granddad's '19 Model T Touring Sedan. Because the fuel system was gravity fed, he had to drive the entire 17 miles up in reverse in order for the fuel to flow. No pavement and no guard rails at all back then.
              That ride might well have been more scary than what the racers do! Great story, don't ya' just love old family stories like that? Especially car related.

Comment

They also drove all the way from Independence, MO. I don't think there were many paved roads anywhere back then. Definitely not your typical honeymoon of today.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

After my Mom passed in '76 (she lived in ColoSpgs) , my 3 sisters and I drove up at sunrise and scattered her ashes (per her wishes), stopping at four or five places during the ascent. Then I scared my sisters well and good on the way down. vic
                  vic NASCARland

Comment

Working...
                  X