Out of commission for a while.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of commission for a while.....

Some of you may have already heard this, but I thought I'd say something about my absence for a few days. Last Thursday I was outside helping friend look intto the transmiission from his '58 Studebaker Commander four door. We went inside to check on something on the computer and I began to feel really bad. Next thing I knew I was flat on my back looking up at by friend. He called 911 and I blacked out again when the EMT folks were there. The bottom line is hat my heart rate dropped to almost nothing.. Friday my cardiologist put a stent in, but felt that the blockage that it took care of was not enough in and of itself to cause the problem. So now I am the owner of a brand new pascemaker. I got home from the hospital today. Can't drive for at least two weeks and can't lift anything heavier than a jar of peanut butter with my left hand for several weeks. Also I am not supposed lift my left arm above being parallel to the ground for a while either (don't want to pull the wires out of the heart!) Like I said I am home and feeling pretty good. Of course taking it easy is necessary, and will be hard to do. Looks like my '65 project will go on hold for awhile. I am sure my wife will help enforce the "take it easy rule." Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and I am once again the beneficiary of that technology. Don't mean to bum anybody out --- just this part of my family know.
    Last edited by JRoberts; May 31, 2011, 05:19 PM.

Take care of yourself first and foremost! The car will wait for you (it always has right?)
    Love and prayers
    ~Gail
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; May 31, 2011, 05:11 PM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Joe, yikes!

Glad to hear your buddy reacted quickly and got you the necessary help! Also glad to hear you got into capable hands that fixed you up.

Take it slow and easy, or I'll come down there and slap you around!

Be well!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Take care of yourself Joe.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

man, lucky your friend was around...glad to hear everything turned out okay...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

any prior clue ?

Comment

So Joe... is that like a Mini Tazer??? Come on... inquiring minds want to know....

LOL... ( glad your well enough to take abuse )

Comment

just think joe, you can bump up your post count now here on the site, LOL

all kidding aside, hope you get to feelin better and glad you're still around to read this
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Scary stuff brother!

Glad you're feeling better - please listen to the docs - as most of us don't like to think of ourselves having any limits - we certainly do - and at times like these - we have to respect those limits above all.

Sure hope your recovery is quick and you're 100% soon - but don't rush it!

(yea - KT is right - is it like a tazer?)
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

you know it

Comment

What kind of pacemaker is it, Medtronics?
                      My stepdad works there as a QC Control Engineer(& he's very good at his job no worries!)

Comment

Get well soon dude.

Keep the site from getting wet for a few days, if the doc said don't shower, DON'T.

An infection there is BAD news, means the whole shebang would hafta come out.

PM sent, hit me up with any questions.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
                          So Joe... is that like a Mini Tazer??? Come on... inquiring minds want to know....

LOL... ( glad your well enough to take abuse )
                          I am perfectly aware that you better not stay around here too long if you have thin skin ;)

In reality the device is about the size of an old time silver dollar and not quite twice as thick. Mine was placed under a layer of muscle in the upper left chest. There are two wires that are run down a blood vessel to the heart. The wires have small anchors or hooks the pulled into the heart muscle. It takes a few weeks for these to become permanently attached, thus no lifting of heavy stuff or rains the arm too high. The device is really a mini computer. It senses the heart rate. If the rate is too low it sends an electric impulse to stimulate the heart, thus speed up the heart rate. The doc and technician who install the device can set the minimum rate -- mine set at 60. Pacemaker I got is a fairly new design in that it can be adjusted so it will not be affected by an MRI. I thought that was rather amazing. The batteries are good for 7 to 10 years. High tech stuff.

Oh, and not there was no warning. I have dealt with high blood pressure for a long time, but it as been under control for a long time. I had just been to my cardiologist a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine, even the EKG was very good. I guess you just never know.

Yes, my device is from Medtronic. Glad to hear I am in good hands.

Thanks folks for all of your thoughts, well wishes and prayers. I can tell you that they work.
                          Last edited by JRoberts; May 31, 2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Damn Joe, glad it's all coming together. I expect to see you if I can ever get back to Maxton, or wherever it's going to be.
                            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Are there any other limitations? A fellow I knew many years ago had to give up welding due to his pacemaker, is that still an issue with modern stuff?
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X