No announcement yet.

SPOTS SPOTS SPOTS Hard Water Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPOTS SPOTS SPOTS Hard Water Question!

Dear BS Buds

We are on a well, it is drilled to around 100 feet but the water table is only about 10 feet down. The well water is very hard, tons of calcium build up on anything you get water on. Dishes, cars etc. It wrecks coffee makers, clogs shower heads. I HATE IT!
    I am looking into the magentic things that suspend the calcium so that it moves through the system instead of sticking to the pipes, glass, paint etc. Does anyone have any experience with trying to get rid of hard Water?

Please help!
    Calcified in San Diego
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

I suppose moving away from San Diego is out of the question.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

After last winter I would be afraid to live anywhere back east, you are all braver men than I Gunga Din!
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

we have magnesium in our well water, and to get it out of the system is $40,000 installed, and about a thousand a year in maintenance .... that said, sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to get the filtration system to remove it....

the very best thing to do, is remove those stupid water-saving devices that come in all appliances (all of them reduce the flow by reducing the opening size).... take them out and you'll have less trouble with buildup. Also avoid any device which says "water saving".... (says the guy who's replacing his front loading washer because it's clogged)

good luck
        - the 40k is for the neighborhood of 8 houses on a community well -
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We pull all of that water saving crap out of faucets whenever we can. I periodically go around and scrub everything with "The Works" which is some kind of Acid actually for toilet bowls. When that stuff hits a calcium chunk it starts bubbling and fuming, soon the calcium is gone, but it is very caustic, sulfuric acid or something. Then I poke out the holes in the showerheads and the faucet screens. We have lived in this house for 20 years, there are 4 bathrooms and the ones that get used the most for showers or baths seem to have a water pressure problem now.
          It does seem with all the rain we got this year that if you leave ice cubes in a glass of water we are getting less powder in the bottom of the glass after the ice melts but that just may be because there is more water in the aquafer? maybe? There have been a few very nice horse ranches built in the past few years that are upstream from us and like their rances to look like Kentucky with lots of green grass...they pull more than their share of water out of the ground so I think that may raise the calcium count when the water table gets low...
          I want to try the magnet things, has anyone ever tried those?
          Gail

Comment

Have you looked into water softeners? We had a kinetico system in Ohio and it worked very well - it was NOT the type that required salt pellets or blocks, as I recall they were around $2500 or so for a twin tank system installed.

That was to deal with high iron - not calcium - but I imagine calcium can be dealt with in similar ways.

Look up kinetico on the interwebs and take a look - not sure if there are dealers in your area.

One great thing about living in metro detroit - excellent city water - I don't miss dealing with well and septic.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I will look that up!
              I do love the well because our water bill is so cheap, may $15 a month, we are actually on sewer so that is good.

Comment

i'd look into a water softener first.

We have sort of hard water here, it does build up white crap, but I guess we're just not so picky about how our faucets look.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

calcium flowing from underground in san diego.

don't worry about it, it will be over soon enough...after the cavern caves in and the land falls in the ocean.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Squirrel
                    I am not that picky about how it looks but it really starts clogging things up even the house pipes, then the water flow is so low it is hard to get the soap rinsed out of my luxuriously long hair!

Boxer
                    Am hoping we don't fall into the ocean! We don't live on the coast but about 2000' up in the foothills I am speculating on beach front property, we are on the wrong side of the San Andreas fault though. yikes!
                    ~Gail

Comment

We too have hard water (Well) the best thing here for it is a water softner. We have a company called Culligan that sells and
                      services them (softners) . I have seen other systems that I am sure work well too. Sears sells them as well.

Comment

I've had several water softeners over the years........couple of years
                        back installed a Water Boss.
                        Uses half the water a normal one does for recharge and happy as
                        hell with it.

I've been on wells before......water softener is a must.

Given all the new upgrades in plumbing fittings (Sharkbite) you could install
                        it yourself.
                        One note: If you're on a septic system you'll want the dis charge water
                        to go elsewhere.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

We are not on a Septic System (yay) been there done that!
                          I really want a magic bullet that will just fix the problem with no maintenance on my part, I know that is wrong but it is what I want! Abunch of you are really good at electronics and chemicals and mineral stuff...do you think this actually works?

does anyone have one of these ?
                          The system does not produce any wastewater. Using electromagnetic pulses the system puts hardness minerals into suspension, which means they are still present in the water making drinking water healthier but are no longer able to form hard brittle limescale deposits, therefore protecting your appliances.

HOW IT WORKS Using low frequency radio waves pioneered by our research and development team, the System 50 generates induction energy which alters the characteristics of the hardness salts. Instead of forming limescale the salts stay in solution and existing scale goes into suspension and is gradually removed from the system, leaving a scale free home at a cost you can afford. The limescale eliminator can be fitted onto Copper, steel and all plastic pipes.

The System 50 Uses Two coils to maximise its performance

BENEFITS Removes and prevents limescale, prolonging equipment life. Kinder to skin and hair, better lathering of soaps and shampoos. Reduced maintenance for all water fed appliances including water heaters. Low running costs, approximately $5.00 per year. Complete results for your home without using salts or chemicals of any kind. Environmentally friendly and a potable water supply. Can be easily installed by a competent DIY person

EASY DIY FITTING The system requires no plumbing skills, simply wrap the coils around your copper, steel or plastic pipe and plug into a 110volt outlet. For the best results the system should be located on the rising main so that all the water that enters the house is treated, but if necessary it can be fitted further up the system.

Click here for Commercial or Industrial systems.

SPECIFICATION Will Treat any Property, Hermetically sealed in high impact enclosure. Advanced computerised electronics. BS 3535 low voltage electrical safety. Includes 6 volt transformer with 78" lead Compliance with EMC regulations. EN 55014, EN 50081/1, EN 50082/1. 7.1" x 4.3" x 1.8"mm. Manufactured to CE standards. Warranty - Five year warranty. Conforms to BS3535

Fits upto 3/4" pipe.

*Includes $30 shipping

Quantity:

Price:

$299.00

$299.00
                          Last edited by LORENSWIFE; June 7, 2011, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Gail -
                            That thing trips my "snake oil meter" I'd proceed with caution. Jim could probably make something like that for you out of robot parts and a trip to radio shack for about $20.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              Gail -
                              That thing trips my "snake oil meter" I'd proceed with caution. Jim could probably make something like that for you out of robot parts and a trip to radio shack for about $20.
                              Ditto what Milner said

Get ya a good water softener and call it a day.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X