Drive-in movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-in movies

The first drive-in movie theater opened 78 years ago today in Pennsauken townshipt NJ
    in an era when cars symbolized opportunity (and what happened in the backseat was nobody's business). To celebrate the birthday of the drive-in, let's take a look at the best of drive-in fare, from classic B- Movies and exploitation films to contemporary blockbusters and sing-alongs.

I remember going to drive-ins with Mom and we got to wear our pajamas, play on the swingset during intermission and even go to the snack bar wearing said pajamas.

Later on it was with friends trying to sneak as many people as you can in...

And my first official date with Loren was Top Gun at the Winnetka Drive-In in the Valley
    to this day I have no idea what happens in that movie and am clueless as to what the second feature that night was...
    Aaahhhhh the magic that was Drive-ins!

~Gail
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; June 6, 2011, 04:49 PM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Too much information....
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

they shut down our drive in here....it sucks.

the one in my home town is still open and enjoys a brisk business. Many of them closed in the 80's but have been re-opened due to the interest in cruise nights and car shows and such.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Only been to one drive-in, in '91. I think the movie was Idle Hands or something like that...some cheesy-ass horror movie that bored 8-year-old me to death.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I got my drivers license in '76 and I believe I spent most of the next two years at a drive-in, I even went so far as to get a job at one for about 8 months, it's entirely possible my oldest kid was concieved there. Growing up in the 60's in California, my folks took us to the drive-in on weekends, probably couldn't find a babysitter, and I remember playing on the plyground until we got tired enough to fall asleep in the back seat.

Comment

There's a nice drive-in an hour north of us. We love it and don't go often enough.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
              The first drive-in movie theater opened 78 years ago today in Pennsauken townshipt NJ
              in an era when cars symbolized opportunity (and what happened in the backseat was nobody's business). To celebrate the birthday of the drive-in, let's take a look at the best of drive-in fare, from classic B- Movies and exploitation films to contemporary blockbusters and sing-alongs.

I remember going to drive-ins with Mom and we got to wear our pajamas, play on the swingset during intermission and even go to the snack bar wearing said pajamas.

Later on it was with friends trying to sneak as many people as you can in...

And my first official date with Loren was Top Gun at the Winnetka Drive-In in the Valley
              to this day I have no idea what happens in that movie and am clueless as to what the second feature that night was...
              Aaahhhhh the magic that was Drive-ins!

~Gail
              Gail, my first wife and I spent many a night not watching movies at Winnetka 4........
              I do remember they showed the first movie again after the feature,it may have been only the first reel but we did "enjoy" the overtime....

Comment

the drive inns in phoenix are really good, went to them all the time, load up the car with kids and a cooler and also had a full blown sound system in the car that would rival most home theatre sound systems, we made ALOT of friends at the drive in cause they would end up parking by us during the second movie after hearing what I had blairing out of the trunk ......

the drive inn on the west side of phoenix in glendale at one time was having a car show during the day then a double feature of car movies afterwards, I got to see American Graffiti and La Bamba, that was freakin great
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  There's a nice drive-in an hour north of us. We love it and don't go often enough.
                  I was just at Becky's Saturday night. It was their 65th anniversary it was a good time. Reminded me of how awesome my truck can be despite it having cancer. For those of you who don't know its Becky's Drive In in Berlinsville PA. Easy to get to, reasonably priced, and two screens.
                  Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                    I was just at Becky's Saturday night. It was their 65th anniversary it was a good time. Reminded me of how awesome my truck can be despite it having cancer. For those of you who don't know its Becky's Drive In in Berlinsville PA. Easy to get to, reasonably priced, and two screens.
                    We'll have to check it out, looks like it is about the same distance from us as the one in Gratz. Thanks for the tip!
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

pennsauken.

used to drive in a rig with my dad from boston to there as a boy.

I watched star wars at a drive in. I was a little kid.
                      a few years later some movie with gary coleman, that was 1980 or so.. went there in my dads tractor without the trailer, somewhere near florida. I was only 7....got stuck on the lumps. hard spring suspension.

we used a cooler cover to gain some traction.

never been since. all closed.

not the same anyway. imagine screaming ricers, bass kicking losers, gangsta wannabes, drugs, yelling and gunshots. it would suck today. I think that is where the one in massachussetts we used to go to left off...that was early 80s.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Used to be a mess of them here in Wichita. We even had one that had 3 screens. Now we are down to one, and it's a double screen. It is always packed, spring to fall. They show first run flicks, too!
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Man, I love drive ins, I try to go to the one in Delsea several times a year, but can't really have an "old skool" "date" as they have people who go around with flashlights to make sure you are "paying attention to the movie"
                          Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

There are a couple of them here in Phoenix, we went to one a couple of weeks ago for my kid's birthday, saw the Hangover 2.......

I'm still scared from certain parts of that movie, it just wasn't right............
                            Last edited by TC; June 6, 2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I remember going to the drive in more than a regular theatre as a kid in the '70's. When the land prices went up in Atlanta in the '80's, they all became apartment complexes and Targets.

The Starlight 6 (screens) on Moreland is still around and is packed most weekends. Labor Day is the big Drive Invasion weekend with a car show, rockabilly bands and tons of 'B' movies shown on the screens.

Welcome to the Starlight Drive In website, a multiple screen drive-in located in Atlanta, GA. See current and upcoming attractions, pictures, snack bar menu, and flea market information.

Comment

Working...
                              X