AZ fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ fires

Getting pretty bad...the one on the east side of the state is now the biggest in state history. The fire that's going about five miles south of us (Monument Fire) is moving fast, they're talking about evacuating the area that's just a mile and a half south of our place. Doesn't look good. Fortunately our 4 acres is mostly dirt, just a few trees and no tall grass or shrubs.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

thats one of the things i hated bout living in AZ was the fires, I got caught in one a few years ago between miami and superior driving back into phoenix, I was actually on 60 when they blocked off the road between the two towns and actually saw the fire jump the road in front of me, spooky stuff. Stay safe and im sure you know if they tell you to leave, best to get out
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Thanks... I haven't had too much trouble with them in general, although once when I was a kid in Tucson, we were up on Mt Lemmon and there was a fire, it was pretty scary driving back down thru it.

I put some pics on my web page

The Fantastic Informative page of Jim Forbes
      My fabulous web page

Comment

good luck, now remember loggers, the greenie say no logging we need to save the trees so the fires can burn them all.
        Last edited by Stich496; June 15, 2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Hope that fire stays away from your area Jim, it's not the vegetation you have to worry about it's the embers that fall on top of your house from the air. And if that Fire up near SpringerVille burns anymore, they can start calling the White Mountains the Black Mountains.........I can't fathom how bad it is, I thought the Rodeo fire was bad and that stretched from Forrest Lakes to Showlow and from the 260 to the 60...........
          Last edited by TC; June 15, 2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            Hope that fire stays away from your area Jim, it's not the vegetation you have to worry about it's the embers that fall on top of your house from the air. And if that Fire up near SpringerVille burns anymore, they can start calling the White Mountains the Black Mountains.........I can't fathom how bad it is, I thought the Rodeo fire was bad and that stretched from Forrest Lakes to Showlow and from the 260 to the 60...........
            whitemountains?????????????????? they are in N.H.

Comment

when I was in college, I fought forest fires (hiked into the middle of nowwhere once, then was promoted to camp cook - where some complained that I burned more than a forest fire).... houses always burn from the roof down and embers can travel (literally) miles.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hey Squirrel, are Bisbee and Tombstone still standing? Or are they toast?
                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Nothing burning over in that direction yet...although the horseshoe 2 fire is still going, a ways east of them.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                    Hey Squirrel, are Bisbee and Tombstone still standing? Or are they toast?
                    he posted pics from a car run in tombstone yesterday, so

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      .........I can't fathom how bad it is, I thought the Rodeo fire was bad and that stretched from Forrest Lakes to Showlow and from the 260 to the 60...........
                      I drove thru that area a year after the Rodeo fire going to Showlow, that was freakin erry driving thru there and all you see is black and brown
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

We did some volunteer work up there after the Rodeo/Chediski Fires...Did some clear cutting of trees on private property for the elderly...what a freaking mess....the fires up on Mt. Lemmon a few years back were pretty damn bad too...We needs some freaking rain.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Hot and windy today.... here's the latest map. We're right near the red circle at the top.
                          Attached Files
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Good luck Jim - I didn't think there was anything around you guys that could burn.

Wild fires are crazy destructive - my heart goes out to those folks affected.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The area where all the houses burned (about 40 of them) has big oak trees, etc. It's on the north side of the mountains, gets lots of rain, not a lot of sun. Beautiful area. And the trees are what makes it so nice...which means peoples houses are right in the forest, and that's why they all burned up
                              Last edited by squirrel; June 16, 2011, 12:21 PM.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X