Irvine CA area shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irvine CA area shops?

My sister lives in Irvine and needs help finding an honest repair shop. All she needs are front pads and rotors on her 2000 Grand Am and the shop wants to charge her 495.00. 152.00 each for rotors. I can't find them anywhere for more than 80 bucks each. I think they just need turned as she says they're not scored just shudder when she applies the brakes.

They also tell her that she needs head gaskets ($2100.) but says she can wait awhile but should get the system flushed now for $150 bucks. WTF?

She's had a lot of health problems (back surgeries, cancer) so she has no money now. Plus she hasn't lived there long enough to make a lot of friends so she really needs a place she can trust that'll only do what she really needs at a fair price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Irvine CA area shops?

Try calling this guy.... I had him do some work for me a couple times
    He'll come out to her place
    His name is Christian
    Cell 714 402 2170
    Home 949 581 1610

Good Luck
    MM64 8)

Comment

if she has v6 she may just need an intake gasket , most places charge 6- 8 hours
      rotors aren't cheap if you use the factory ones , around here they rust horrible , cars are way expensive if you have no money

Comment

Originally posted by mrmopar64
        Try calling this guy.... I had him do some work for me a couple times
        He'll come out to her place
        His name is Christian
        Cell 714 402 2170
        Home 949 581 1610

Good Luck
        MM64 8)
        Thanks Randy,

I'll pass it along to her. Great thing about the web and this board, no matter where you are there's somebody you can turn to for help.

Spidergears,

She had head gaskets done a couple years ago so who knows but thanks for the tip on the intake. She asked what brand rotors and they told her "a premium brand" when she pushed the issue they told her "Centrics". Ever heard of 'em?

I've worked as a mechanic and bodyman in the past so I'm familiar with both sides of the coin. Just trying to make sure she's getting a fair shake since I'm so far away.

Thanks again guys

Comment

If Randy's suggestion doesn't work out have her call Tim at American Tire & Brake, 23728 Via Fabricante, Mission Viejo - 949-830-0760

I've dealt with them for over 20 years, always a good experience, have her tell Tim I sent her!

Comment

usually just the u van goes thru head gaskets . good luck to your sister

Comment

Thanks and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by socalcarculture
                If Randy's suggestion doesn't work out have her call Tim at American Tire & Brake, 23728 Via Fabricante, Mission Viejo - 949-830-0760

I've dealt with them for over 20 years, always a good experience, have her tell Tim I sent her!

Dave, Welcome to the Carjunkie site. Noticed your name and just want to say I use Your site daily for finding out what is happening in So Cal. Thanks

Comment

Take a look at alldata.com for issues with the V6 Grand Am. It was either an intake or head issue. I cant remember which. There was some kind of problem with those cars and GM was providing warranty relief. As I recall it was a coolant leaking issue.

Rotors? check with napa or go online to ebay and check out the rotors there. I've picked up some good ones for one of the trans ams.
                  Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

the general never extended the warranty for intake leaks
                    you can try
                    not like they haven't happened before , but intakes have kept the shop open for the last 5 years

Comment

especially on an 8 year old car

Comment

Originally posted by chucks73
                        Originally posted by socalcarculture

Dave, Welcome to the Carjunkie site. Noticed your name and just want to say I use Your site daily for finding out what is happening in So Cal. Thanks
                        Thanks! - wish I had more time to post on here but there don't seem to be enough hours in the days lately!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          the general never extended the warranty for intake leaks
                          you can try
                          not like they haven't happened before , but intakes have kept the shop open for the last 5 years
                          but Toyota REALLY sucks. lol
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I worked for toyotie for 4 years , lots of heavy work , thats for sure , now I will tell about chrypar in the future

Comment

I'm afraid Spidy's right on this one. ME's Buick failed the intake at 27K miles but about 8 years of age (it was her Dad's car, which he bought at like 89 years of age). GM wouldn't do a thing on it, and I called in some insiders to try to help - I know some folks after all those years at EPA. The mechanic at the dealership in I think Nebraska (we were traveling) said he had a stack of intakes from the floor to a loft in his bay that was at least ten feet off the floor. Boss made him throw them out. So if this car has a 3800, intakes are a common failure. The new one on the Buick has a stainless steel insert to keep the passage in question from failing again.

Good Luck
                              Dan

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              especially on an 8 year old car

Comment

Working...
                              X