Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes (well quite often) I have stupid ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
    those that own a motorhome, have the means for a boat that sleeps 4
    Expound on this please!
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

So maybe this idea is not so stupid?

The really fancy motorhome, although very cool, doesn' have any deckspace...Peewee's and Grumpy's are really more what I had in mind...

To speak to the price of Motorhomes and boats ~ We actually have both, they were both used (really used) the boat just sucks money so we haven't had it out in a while, the gas is so crazy expensive. Loren and I really prefer sailing, we have 2 Hobie Cats a 14 and a 16. If you have never sailed it is amazing, especially when you get that wind scooped up just right and the rutters start to hum, you pick up speed and because we sail catamarans the hull picks up out of the water and you fly out in the trapeeze, no power boating even comes close for me. Motorhomes can be got so cheaply, we are currently re-modeling a very cool old one with a porthole window door, it will be silver and chrome yellow when finished and totally custom comfy inside. A fun project that we can both get into!
      I like the ferry boat the best, that would be the ultimate party barge!

Here is a Bangshift Article "From the Fab Shop" that Loren wrote in '09 talking about restoring Old RVs The one in the picture is NOT the thing we are working on however...

~Gail

That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

YA might be a redneck ........
        When life hands you lemons, go get a ice cream cone!

Comment

I'm betting the one you're working on is a Vogue, maybe rear engined with a 3208 Cat?
          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
            YA might be a redneck ........
            Oh totally! But with that California twist...
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
              I'm betting the one you're working on is a Vogue, maybe rear engined with a 3208 Cat?
              Jeeez so many missing braincells! I think it is a Superior with a Dodge motor in the front...the porthole window is in the entry door on the passenger side, not shown in this brochure picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r1971[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	855856

This thing is all metal, not a fiberglass body, they were built on a Truck chassis the same as they made buses. The metal construction makes it much easier to custom the inside. It had twin beds in the back but now it has one large bed and some cool stairs to the left with a nice bookcase. Loren is doing the interior in dark wood to get a nautical look. I stripped all the horrid window tint off of it YUCK! took forever! It will have granite-look countertops bath and kitchen matching probably that blue pearl looking stuff, I love that. replacing the faucets with those high arched ones and he put a magnet under the bath sink counter top and one in a very nice looking soap dispenser so it stays put, wierd I know but cool. It has wrap around windows on the passenger and driverside so the front is completely huge windows. We are going to add another porthole in the bath as there is no window in there now and we love the porthole! The grill in the front is non-existant they used what looks to be old fashioned vented computer doors, ewww. We love this thing, It runs so that is always nice! Restoration moves along and then it sits for a while. It will be driven all over the country eventually.

It is super fun working on this thing together, we have a real good time at this stage and know that it will be awesome when we can actually camp in it, regular camping, car shows etc.

~gail
              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; June 22, 2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

You say big lake, it means different things to you. It would work on some days up here, like the last few where the lake has been calm, but you sure couldnt leave a pontoon with a camper on it out there for long. It might be hard to tell but this is just a slightly above average windy day, not even a big storm. Nobody takes a pontoon out on the big lake unless they are some kind of noob/moron. Its a little different when you live next to the biggest lake. It swallows the Fitz, a pontoon would be a tasty snack.

Last edited by Thumpin455; June 22, 2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

OK, I'd forgot about the Superior's also having the round porthole windows on the door, those things were built like a Tank, they were built as well as the Bluebird Motor Homes but I think all of the Superiors were front engine MOPARs. There are actually a few salvage yards around that specialize in Motorhomes for those hard to find parts.
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I'd have to run a diesel in a motor home with today's fuel prices - save all your used motor and trans oil - filter it - and pour it in the tank with some fresh diesel - sure would make getting cross country a lot cheaper when fuel is over $4 a gallon....
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      I'd have to run a diesel in a motor home with today's fuel prices - save all your used motor and trans oil - filter it - and pour it in the tank with some fresh diesel - sure would make getting cross country a lot cheaper when fuel is over $4 a gallon....
                      AGREED!

But I always figure the cost of alternate transportation like plane rides or just driving, then renting hotel rooms and eating meals out all the time is not great either. I guess if you had a Prius and a Pup tent it would be more economical but I gottsa ta have my stuff! comfy bed, BATHROOM, groceries, BATHROOM, plenty of room for souvenirs, BATHROOM, entire fridge for food and beverages, and did I mention BATHROOM?

~gail

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                        AGREED!

But I always figure the cost of alternate transportation like plane rides or just driving, then renting hotel rooms and eating meals out all the time is not great either. I guess if you had a Prius and a Pup tent it would be more economical but I gottsa ta have my stuff! comfy bed, BATHROOM, groceries, BATHROOM, plenty of room for souvenirs, BATHROOM, entire fridge for food and beverages, and did I mention BATHROOM?

~gail
                        "A Prius and a pup tent." That brings up a vivid visual. HahHAHH!!!!!! Thanks Gail, yeah, that's it alright. Nothing at all that includes loud engines and GAWD putting plastic in the trash!!! Owls - save the owls.....

You can see a lot of this nation on a bicycle if you have the time and energy, I did it a thousand years ago. And the pup tent....no, after some experimentation I decided it was sadistic enough to ride a bicycle 100 miles per day without then sleeping on the ground with the snakes and without a decent bath, eating sardines from a can for supper. Been there, done that, and it was actually my choice, but I found didn't like it. Nope, didn't like it at all.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                        X