Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes (well quite often) I have stupid ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes (well quite often) I have stupid ideas...

Is this stupid?

Ya know the big lakes, like Lake Mead etc...they have houseboats for rent, people always seem to have a blast houseboat vacationing, they are fairly expensive but what a great get-away!

WHAT IF?
    There was a place that had pontoon type barges that you could drive your motorhome right up on and then there would be a separate wheel house to drive the boat part. You could still tow your watertoys behind the barge, either a powerboat or some jet skis or whatever. The motorhome is self contained so the place you rent the barge from would only be doing maintanance on the barge, they wouldn't need to clean the interior or worry about dumping, just boat maintanance, no interior work or prettyfying etc.
    A barge could sit out in all sorts of weather with no problems and it wouldn't really effect how it looks.

It would be cheaper for the renter as well because you would not be renting an entire floating apartment just the boat part.

Is this stupid?

~Gail
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

those that own a motorhome, have the means for a boat that sleeps 4

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
      Is this stupid?

Ya know the big lakes, like Lake Mead etc...they have houseboats for rent, people always seem to have a blast houseboat vacationing, they are fairly expensive but what a great get-away!

WHAT IF?
      There was a place that had pontoon type barges that you could drive your motorhome right up on and then there would be a separate wheel house to drive the boat part. You could still tow your watertoys behind the barge, either a powerboat or some jet skis or whatever. The motorhome is self contained so the place you rent the barge from would only be doing maintanance on the barge, they wouldn't need to clean the interior or worry about dumping, just boat maintanance, no interior work or prettyfying etc.
      A barge could sit out in all sorts of weather with no problems and it wouldn't really effect how it looks.

It would be cheaper for the renter as well because you would not be renting an entire floating apartment just the boat part.

Is this stupid?

~Gail
      Nothing stupid about that Idea and it's nteresting that you'd come up with this Idea, there was such an operation and it was called Camp-A-Float and I've done that before on Lake Quachita in Arkansas and on Lake Kissimmee in Florida and there were several other locations and one in California I believe but I'm guessing they are all gone now, probably Insurance/Liability issues. Anyway you'd drive your Motorhome (or camping Trailer) out onto a Pontoon boat and they'd secure it and lower it into the water, the boat had it's own Fresh water storage tank and Dump tank in the pontoons and an outboard motor, maybe 50 hp. and you could rent it for as long as you liked, you were limited to 12,000 lbs. I used to have a 30' Revcon FWD that came in around 11,000 lbs. and they always made me weigh it because they didn't believe it was that light
      Last edited by Grumpy; June 21, 2011, 01:16 PM.
      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Not a dumb idea. I don't know if you could make it work, legal-wise. Maybe Buickguy (oops, "Stoneshrink") will weigh in here. With the economy still on the ropes it might take a while to get off the ground.

Dan

Comment

I never really do any of this things, I am more of a "What if" kind of person...Loren just usually humors me, he has learned the hard way that to disagree will get me going, presenting all the good things about the idea, if you just humor me instead I will sooner move on to the next crazy thing...
          Gail
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Not a bad idea, except Terrawind beat you too it & made an amphibious motorhome

Prices start at $850,000 & go up to $2,000,000 for the fully loaded model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures1%20100web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	855839

Name:	Pictures1%20102web.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	855838

Comment

Would that not be the best...driving down the crowded boat ramp!

2 mil though? it better come with a chef and dancing girls!

Comment

I don't have any info on this one. Somebody sent it for the website some years ago...

Name:	redneckhouseboat.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	855840
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

turn a pontoon boat into camper.

when it sinks, swim back to the truck that hauled it and know all eggs weren't in one basket.

everything sinks. it is inevitable.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                    I don't have any info on this one. Somebody sent it for the website some years ago...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2269[/ATTACH]

That thare's one o tham hurrycane traylures
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                      those that own a motorhome, have the means for a boat that sleeps 4
                      really? I can buy a decent small motorhome (granted - old) for less than $5000......

Comment

early to mid 80s they had boats just like that on Lake Shasta in N. Cal. We and another family rented them (two of them). They work great, (drum roll) except.... imagine, for a moment, what a top-heavy boat feels like on a placid lake... then picture a windstorm (nice, big sail perpendicular to the direction of travel).... to say everyone was sea-sick would be an understatement... then next year we left the RVs at home.

they worked okay(ish) these had a treadmill that you'd park on and it'd power the drive (and also overheat the motorhome because not much air traveled through the radiator)...

great idea, though, Gail
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 21, 2011, 06:10 PM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you could always buy a ferry and then you'll also have a place for shuffleboard

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

This is a picture I took some years ago right before my Wife rammed the dock and tried to knock me off into the Gator infested Kissimmee River!

Name:	Camp-A-Float 001.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	855854
                            Last edited by Grumpy; June 21, 2011, 08:38 PM.
                            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                              This is a picture I took some years ago right before my Wife rammed the dock and tried to knock me off into the Gator infested Kissimmee River!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2285[/ATTACH]
                              I always consider it an attribute to have a wife with poor aim and a low comprehension of physics..... of course, my wife is a mechanical engineer so I just have to keep her happy (haven't tried her aim yet).
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X