Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first engine to use taper seat/peanut plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the Buick "New" big block hit the streets in '67 (I'm remembering - but I'm old) I was sent to new product school at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI. They proudly informed us that the 5/8" socket plugs were developed for the BBB because the heads/ports were designed first and there wasn't enough room to accommodate conventional plugs. Rather than compromise the ports they had AC design the little plugs. So yes, Buick wins the contest as you posted it.

Dan

Comment

thanks for that neat bit of confirmation Dan!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

68 is when the large journal 327 came out

Comment

Bet you didn't see this question coming when you learned that!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

For whatever reason aftermarket aluminum heads seem to favor the .75" reach gasket style plugs, they are on Ford's Chevy's, Pontiac's Buicks etc. Kinda handy at the track when everybody has the same plugs in their kits.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
              For whatever reason aftermarket aluminum heads seem to favor the .75" reach gasket style plugs, they are on Ford's Chevy's, Pontiac's Buicks etc. Kinda handy at the track when everybody has the same plugs in their kits.
              Is that because the gasket type protect the head from galling?
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
              X