Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you really polish a turd? I am giving it the old college try!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you really polish a turd? I am giving it the old college try!

I am trying to polish up a milk can that I had given to me. Worst case scenario, I will just paint it and pinstripe it.
    I am hoping to polish it up and have it bastardized up with pin stripping.
    Here goes nothing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1017.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	877525

Name:	DSCF1018.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	877522
    I took Paint stripper, and after a couple coats this is what I got.

Name:	DSCF1101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	877523
    Then I hit it with 60 grit. I am thinking I will have to sand blast all the little dimples to get the rest of the paint out. I am not worried about the all the little dimples, Might try to get some of the bigger ones out, but I think they give it character.

Name:	DSCF1103.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	877524

Name:	DSCF1102.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	877527
    Then I hit a little spot with 100 grit just to see if it is worth my time. I think with A LOT more TIME it will come around like I would like.

Name:	DSCF1108.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	877528

Name:	DSCF1109.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	877521
    I hit the little area I hit with some polish a couple times and this is what I have. Not the finished product, and everything is done by hand as of right now.

Name:	DSCF1111.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	877526
    All in all I like what I am seeing. Right now I would say there is about 1 hour worth off time and maybe $10 in to this project. Hopefully I can get good at polishing something like this up, so I can move on to what I really want to do, A beer keg. Don't know why, just always wanted to do one.
    Eventually I will make a seat for the top, and then use it for a stool in the garage.
    Last edited by 1trickpony; June 24, 2011, 12:01 PM.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Not too shabby.

On a related point.......as a kid in the 70's, man EVERYONE had an old milkcan with the same eagle and patriots on it. Seriously. I always thought they were cool, and still do, but what was the deal? I remember all the bicentenial celebrations, but what gives with the milkcans?

Our friends even had cast iron eagles mounted to their custom van. My mom still has a matching eagle mounted over one of her doorways. Cool times.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I forgot to mention that while sanding it I found stamping on it. It says
      Superior St. Paul
      40QTS LIQUID
      Sealed 8-6-B
      Jeff
      Follow My Build

Comment

what was wrong with the paint on it..

Comment

Looks like you're on the right track.

And yes - any Mythbusters fan knows you CAN polish a turd - Jamie did it.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; June 24, 2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I polish turds too, and cut them up and replace parts with other turd parts...

I like the idea, polishing takes FOREVER and two days... but it looks so damn nice when its done.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
              what was wrong with the paint on it..
              There was nothing really wrong with the paint on the milk can. I am just kinda doing this for some garage art. And I really wasn't feeling the theme that was on there. This is just something I can do in my spare time and I don't have to order parts for it.

Body guys... Some of the bigger dents on this I would like to pull. My question is, can I use one of those spot welder guns and a puller on this? Or do you think the metal is too thin? I have used one before just don't know if its possible?
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

Small update... I went to my Uncle's house to borrow his sand blaster.... Came home with another milk can. I think I may get tired of sanding these. Could have grabbed more of them but figured I would just start with these and see where it goes.

I think I may figure out a way to mount an old iron tractor seat to the top for a seat. He had a couple there and it doesn't look like too much work and will be just right on top of the can.
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

If you're careful you should be able to push the dents out from the inside. I'm thinking a big crowbar - use it with the curved side toward the outside of the can like a spoon so you don't make a crease as those are a SOB to get flat again. You may need to cut a block to push against so you don't bend the neck of the can. Just old body man tricks.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X