I need a new Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    That said a helmet seems to be a good place to spend a bit more money for safety, fit and comfort especially for longer events.
    Absolutely ... buy a $50 helmet if you have a $50 head. When I am instructing at track days, I will often have my helmet on for up to 5 hours out of an 8 hour event. I'm glad to have one that is comfortable and fairly lightweight. IMO hemets are like many things automotive, if makes sense in the long run to pay a bit more up front for something.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Last edited by fast Ed; June 25, 2011, 06:26 PM.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Pyrotect and Bell were not mentioned... Both have served me well over the years... Good value, especially with the Pyrotect helmets.

Comment

I've got a Bell lightweight. I'm very happy with it.

Bill, I think you are correct to look at a helmet that can have air attached. Next time out, I'm going to do the same thing. I generally won't run in July and August cause its just to damn hot up here. I'm sure a cool suit and cool dry air in the helmet would change that.
        I'm still learning

Comment

with helmets you get what you pay for.

I have a friend that is a salesmen for Arai, and he showed me a video he shot during helmet certification tests. long and short of it.. if it was made in china...junk. made in japan is worth the money. Bill if you see something you like I can get you a price.

how to fit a helmet...http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I've got a Shoei full face, replace them whenever the foam gets yucky. Probably 5 years max. My current one probably needs to be updated. Never had an issue, including the yard / curb / 100 foot slide when I discovered a Sportster is not, in fact, a sport bike. Ooops. Curb related high side and slide...on my face and shoulder - scraped the paint off the whole side of it instead of my face.

I figure my heads worth at least a couple hundred to keep it pretty for the funeral. In the case where I really needed it, I couldn't say enough about the Shoei. Did me right. One sore shoulder, one wasted helmet, on badass hangover the next morning. I'm relatively sure I would have been dead or really uglier than I am now without it.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Great looking stuff. I need a helmet that is Snell 2010/SFI/FIA to cover all the bases. I couldn't tell which of the Arai's have those certifications.

I didn't know you could spend $4400 on helmet but as they are used in F1 I should have known.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill, Ill ask him, he just hooked me up with a new open face, that he said is legal this year. so ill check that too.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Thank you for the great introduction! The last time I saw Doug, I mentioned that I needed to start posting here. At the risk of mixing personal and professional pursuits, here goes...(sorry, the 5.0 Ford-powered Volvo pictures will have to wait)

Although my business card reads "Technician", most of my work involves "Public Relations". As such, the feedback from customers is quite important, so speak up and don't be shy. I'll try to be brief with regard to some of the topics already raised.

CDMBill spoke of the deterioration of the EPS (expanded polystyrene) in his old helmet. This is the most vulnerable part of the helmet, and the primary reason for helmet replacement after five years (used every day or once a year, some deterioration still takes place, so the clock is always ticking).

With the need to limit risk, insurance companies have set more restrictive rules for sanctioning bodies with regard to helmets. Just a ferw years ago, it was not uncommon to see any of the three most current Snell certification (every five years) standards allowed, particularly in drag racing, but the new regulations have caused some groups to limit the helmet to as little as three years from manufacture date. Always check with your sanctioning body, and be aware that these requirements may change with little notice.

There is more information at the Snell Memorial Foundation website at www.smf.org about helmet construction and safety standards.

As the energy managment level may change from standard to standard, there is currently no way to recertifty helmets to the new specifications. Updating old cars is great fun, but helmets not so much...

The purpose of a helmet is to be an energy management device. That will NEVER change. The engineeing of the helmet shell, however, is very different from an automotive shell to a motorcycle helmet shell, in addition to the lining material as DanStokes has pointed out. Be certain that the helmet is designed to do the job you ask it to do.

Beagle, high sides can be nasty. Fortunately, you were wearing a good helmet. These kind of incidents do not have a reset button, unfortunately, and sometimes the price can be quite steep. A quality helmet is a fraction of the cost of what it takes to put things back in place (IF it can be done) when it goes really wrong...

Yes, the GP-6RC is expensive at $4995, but for those who want (or need) Formula 1 level technology it can be bought over the counter, which is something that until recently could not be done at any price.

Finally, we need to set Brian up for a top-level fitting before his next helmet. Perhaps it would be an interesting thread here at Bang Shift... I've got some really big tape measures and some giant aluminum calipers (not TSA friendly, much to my travelling inconvenience), and am certain we can make his behind-the-wheel time a much better place. We already know he is a Goliath-head...

Thanks for the opportunity to let me speak up!
                  Rob Lefever
                  Arai Technical Services

Comment

Working...
                  X