Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go right ahead , more junk science

Comment

Propane is pricey here, something like $2.85 to $3, half a tank running my oven and water heater only lasts me 10 months. I use wood heat because my electricity running just lights and computers, along with the shop is $200 a month, and I really dont use that much of it, it is just expensive here. Charging my car on it would kill me more than gas does.

I am into the off grid stuff, making my own heat, electricity, fuel, food, and whatever else I can do on my own so I dont have to pay through my nose for the privilege of using stuff they provide. Believe me if an EV would work here I would be building them. I have a neighbor who has an S10 he converted to EV, runs good and can get into town and back as long as he never goes above 45mph, and he is careful with driving to stores. He lives off grid, windmills and solar along with wood power his house. He cant drive it in winter due to the salt, not having defrost and heat is also a drawback on his truck, otherwise he is motoring for cheap.

The controllers are pricey even for the planes and RC cars, but for the power you get from them its worth it. I will keep making my vodka fuel so I can use less electricity to be online and weld. Welding off grid is tough to do without a standalone generator/welder.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
        go right ahead , more junk science
        I'm guessing you have a hand crank for your Cavalier?

edit...

OH ... and a manual spark retard so you don't bust your arm?

edit....

How in the * do you get the crank through the wheel? That thing's sitting sideways right?

edit...

Is it a manual? I ran one giant turd for several months with no decent battery by parking on a hill. Junk science indeed!
        Last edited by Beagle; June 27, 2011, 06:07 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

To minimize corrision and cut down your battery watering chores, use the HydroCap instead of the stock battery cell caps. These caps use a catalyic converter to convert gassing hydrogen back to water and back into the battery. This is for the off grid home, not an EV.
          Last edited by deckofficer; June 27, 2011, 07:28 PM.
          sigpic
          Bob
          516 lb/ft @ 2800
          Short shift, its fun

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
            Propane is pricey here, something like $2.85 to $3, half a tank running my oven and water heater only lasts me 10 months. I use wood heat because my electricity running just lights and computers, along with the shop is $200 a month, and I really dont use that much of it, it is just expensive here. Charging my car on it would kill me more than gas does.

I am into the off grid stuff, making my own heat, electricity, fuel, food, and whatever else I can do on my own so I dont have to pay through my nose for the privilege of using stuff they provide. Believe me if an EV would work here I would be building them. I have a neighbor who has an S10 he converted to EV, runs good and can get into town and back as long as he never goes above 45mph, and he is careful with driving to stores. He lives off grid, windmills and solar along with wood power his house. He cant drive it in winter due to the salt, not having defrost and heat is also a drawback on his truck, otherwise he is motoring for cheap.

The controllers are pricey even for the planes and RC cars, but for the power you get from them its worth it. I will keep making my vodka fuel so I can use less electricity to be online and weld. Welding off grid is tough to do without a standalone generator/welder.
            that is sort of where i am at. it would cost more to have a EV and charge it then it does in fuel. and i still get mine from the pump

a small 4cylander turbo diesel would actualy save me money more then getting a EV vehicle at this current time only becuase i live so far out
            Last edited by Mater; June 27, 2011, 07:31 PM.
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

It is hard to beat a 4 cylinder turbo diesel when comparing to other ICE. Living remotely in the winter months, a diesel car or pickup could save your life. Should you get stuck in a blizzard, a diesel will idle 3 times longer on the same amount of fuel than a gas engine for keeping you warm till help comes. They are only about 30% more efficent in getting work done per unit of fuel, but really shine at idle.
              Last edited by deckofficer; June 27, 2011, 08:24 PM.
              sigpic
              Bob
              516 lb/ft @ 2800
              Short shift, its fun

Comment

yup and that is why i have no idea why GM is using a gas engine in the volt instead of a diesel. seeing as the engine in the volt only charges the battery
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                  yup and that is why i have no idea why GM is using a gas engine in the volt instead of a diesel. seeing as the engine in the volt only charges the battery
                  The unrealalistic emissions standards on small diesels, combined with the rising MSRP as the volt was being designed, they went with a gasser. But you are correct, a diesel would have been the way to go.
                  sigpic
                  Bob
                  516 lb/ft @ 2800
                  Short shift, its fun

Comment

Ok, since I have a casual interest in this subject, I need to ask: What is ICE?

Comment

Internal Combustion Engine
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                        Internal Combustion Engine
                        *smacks head*

Comment

Don't feel bad....I was wondering the same thing.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                          X