Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaned a barn this weekend, Austin-Healy sees daylight after 8 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned a barn this weekend, Austin-Healy sees daylight after 8 years.

I couldn't stand it anymore. When we moved here I did a quick shovel-it-out cleanup job and started packing my crap in.......moving is a big job and the house was more important at the time.

So the barn was grubby to begin with. Real grubby. Then add in leaking gear oil from a 60 year old tractor, and leaking oil from VW's, and leaking oil from lawnmowers, and it was getting to be a challenge to find a dry spot to walk on! All the leakers are either long gone (or empty!) so now is a good time to get after it.

Anyways, thought you guys might like the pictures of the '54 Austin-Healey 100-4. It has spent most of its life in storage of one sort or another, I've had it for 15 years, the older gentleman blew it apart in his garage back in '65, where most of it hung on his walls until 1997 when I got it. So according to my math, it was only on the road for 11 years?

Check out those tires!

I have all of the pieces of this stashed away on shelving in my other barn. In fact, lots of extra pieces, back in the 60's or 70's the older gentleman parted another Healey out, so I have duplicates of lot of stuff. Honestly, the only thing that is missing is the cylinder head. Apparently it had a crack and got lost at the machine shop way back when, and that was a factor in the stalled project.
    Last edited by STINEY; June 27, 2011, 08:34 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

That's neat!! I really like those Healey's
    I'm still learning

Comment

VERY COOL - another project down on the farm - you're full of surprises!

I miss having a huge enough barn to keep all that kind of stuff under roof. 30x50 is just too small - especially when 1/3 of it is has a loft / stairs so no cars go over there.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

There were a few of those built, so finding a head shouldn't be too hard when you're ready. Or, does this have the MG four banger?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have always dreamed of one of those with a blown small block on a full tube chassis.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

He's already put a caddy engine in a mustang - what would keep him from putting a more modern easier to get parts for power train in this thing?

I was thinking a turbo SVO / T5 set up would be fun - I'm sure Jeremy could help with parts!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

and look at the length of the hood and cowl...you could really set the engine back bet you could get the CG damn near 50/50....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

there are times, Stiney, where I find it quite hard to like you... this moment, being a damn good example of one those times.

cool car
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

thoses are neat guy out here has one he built when he was in the air force in the 60's
                  it has a small chevy with a 4 speed in it I helped put the engine back in it a few years ago to get it in yo have to put the block int then slide the heads under the hood opening up under the fender lol engine is wider then the hood opening . very kool

Comment

These came with the Austin A90 taxi-cab/lorry engine, weight is off the chart for a 4-banger!

The older gentleman had a solution for that head issue....he swapped in a 2000cc Ford with a C-4 trans (aka pinto drivetrain). Made a new tunnel with shifter/linkage complete, new driveshaft, etc, all while retaining the original stuff. He only modified stuff from the parts car.

A fellow in Detroit whom I bought some stuff from gave me a ride in his 100-6 Healey with a SBC 700r4 setup. Mild engine but LOTS of fun on Woodward with it. I particulary like how his tailpipes were flattened on the bottoms, and it wasn't from driveway entrances. They would drag on accelleration. Neat stuff.

They built just under 15,000 of the 100-4 cars, then switched over to the 100-6. This one is right around # 5500 built, if I remember right. I've got the birth certificate somewhere. It has a few unusual features, like the hood skin being aluminum instead of steel, but it is definitely the original hood skin. The louvers are not factory style, but were nicely done. I got excited when I found a stripe under the layers of paint, the red stripe is on the original paint, at first I had hopes of some racing history, but haven't found any proof of that.

My buddy is chomping at the bit to do some bodywork on this. He is finishing up his '70 camaro - he replaced nearly every panel except the roof, he is very particular so this would be in good hands if we get to that point. We'll see......right now it just feels good to see it out again!
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

needs a small block

Comment

my dad had the all-aluminum version of that car in the early 60s (I've seen pictures) with a 267 they stroked to 283.... apparently it was a lot of fun. it makes me laugh because now that car is worth a fortune; but back then no-one gave it a second thought to chop it up and drop a SBC in it...
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You need to PM Keith Turk if he doesn't see this thread. He has one that he's owned since he was a teenager and it still looks darn good. There are pieces available. PLEASE - if you decide to repower it either use a modern 4 banger (like an Ecotech) or an aluminum Buick. No sense screwing up the car and the little Buick is narrow and light.

Dan

Comment

Bob Ida's Hemi Healey could be one of the craziest ####ing cars of all time.

Last edited by Brian Lohnes; June 27, 2011, 02:52 PM.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Local guy I see all over the place.

I R Bob
                              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X