Toy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toy Question

Most of you guys are just too young. (With the possibly exception of Dan. ;D)
    There were no Hot Wheels. I had Dinky Toys and Gorgie Toys. Lots of 'em and still have many of them somewhere including Sir Malcom Cambell's Blue Bird.
    Erector Sets galore.
    There always seemed to be a bicycle.
    The obligatory wagons whose wheels somehow found their way on some soap box derby type car.
    Soldiers that we made out of lead (You know you melted lead down and poured into molds). No they weren't made in China.
    When I was real young I used to cut out cars from magazines and play with them (This is real, I wish I still had that collection.)
    Of course when I got older the AMT models overtook my room. I'd buy one a week with money from my paper route. I don't think I ever built one that was completely stock. Sometimes I entered those in contests. I rarely won, but did place with a Chevy II underwhich I put a straight front axle from some truck model. Even then I thought the Chevy II was the replacement for the '55 Chevy!
    My brother and I seemed to always have electric trains around when we were old enough. Most them were Marx trains from Germany (Dad was in the Army).
    Then there were the early slot cars you raced down at the hobby store.
    Lots of fun was had back then.

Comment

Well, hell, a bicycle is pretty much anyone's first wheels(still have my 10-speed, only new wheels I've ever owned...LOL)

Comment

i also had the usual,
        Lego's, cheap r/c cars, erector set, slot cars. being an 80's baby, i was addicted to micro machines. my dad called em "carpet mines". he would always find them in the dark, barefoot. he especially loved finding the military ones, with missiles pointing up.

kids don't need expensive toys though. Some of the best times i had were taking apart old broken stuff my parents were going to throw away. old radio's, blenders, toasters, etc. kids today spend waaay too much time on xbox and ps3. (sub xbox with sega and now i sound like my dad) some of my most cherished memories come from working on stuff with my dad. changing a fuel pump on the family Buick was always more fun than what mattel could put out. at least more memorable.

Comment

I can remember receiving Hot Wheels as presents in 1968.
          and matchbox cars, and then Johnny Lightning cars too.
          Also built alot of model cars. still have most of that stuff,
          and still collect diecast cars today.
          I may grow old, but I dont have to grow up.

Comment

Hot Wheels & model cars.
            Now I'm re-modeling Hot Wheels.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Does it make me old that I remember my first Matchbox cars actually came in a little box? Has anyone seen collectors with the boxes anymore?
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Matchbox cars, Plastic carmodels and Modeltrains in H0-size from Fleischmann mostly.
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Mostly I played with myself

Comment

Thats sounds like me. ;D ;D

We didn't have a lot of toys growing up. Folks moved too much following work. Couldn't carry toys when the '56 Buick was loaded with clothes, dishes, bedding, your folks, you, brother and sister. We camped a lot on old Route 66 and along the west coast in the sixties. By the time the folks settled down, I was starting High School, so my toys were of the 4 wheel type powered by V8's. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      We had a Dog... and Mom would tie a steak around my neck... K
                      you lie! you was so ugly they put you in the corner and fed you with a slingshot.

Originally posted by rusty48
                      thank god i aint alone.

tonka toys, fireworks, books, books, books.

Comment

Slot cars & erector sets road master bikes and schwin bikes still have a lot of them left Bob

Comment

I played with Real Metal cars and trucks,built models even the large scale XKE Jag and Corvette.I had Cox gas engine powered Airforce plane,that never got fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by PYSCHOWard
                            I had Cox gas engine powered Airforce plane,that never got fired up.
                            what a shame. betcha you wish otherwise now...

Comment

well actually, I was a bit of a tomboy, the mothers wouldnt let me play barbies with thier daughters, because Ken use to tie barbie up, and do things to her......LMAO, hehehehe.......My Mom took my barbies away when a Mom told on me......I use to catch grass hoppers, frogs, fished, fry bugs with a magnify glass, catch mice, and snakes, then I grew up and discovered boys, and fast cars, and wrecked my daddies 1973 Dodge charger racing it....it was brand new, then I married my husband at 17 and blew his chevy two up racing it.....I also wrecked a boys car when I was 13, hit a tree with it, he should not have let me drive it, but I was cute, how could he resist, I really didnt play with toys.......that is wierd, come to think of it, Toys bored me. I roller skated, loved going fast on skates, .....but mostly would ice skate in winter, and roller skate in summer......my dad gave me my first snowmobile and motorcycle to trail ride with at 12.....

Comment

Working...
                              X