What to look for if a transmission is out of the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for if a transmission is out of the car

The transmission in my Charger went a few weeks ago, I lost drive and 2nd. I found one on craigslist for $60, supposedly worked when pulled. It's a 727 torqueflite. Is there any way to tell if a transmission will work out of a car, or anything specific I should look for, red flags, etc.?
    Getting it rebuilt is going to be $650, and if I'm pulling it out anyway, I'd like to put an overdrive in. But I'll have to see what I can find before I go getting ahead of myself as that'll probably be a little more than $650.

get it rebuilt and add a GV unit -cheaper than a conversion to an A518 , which frankly , ain't all that

Comment

Not sure what to look for...maybe Indyshiftman can chime in on this...
      but my thought is for a few bucks more that the rebuild you can get a TCI street fighter...just my 2 cents....
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2 View Post
        but my thought is for a few bucks more that the rebuild you can get a TCI street fighter...just my 2 cents....
        Ditto what Joe said.........
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

$60 is core price, which is all you should pay for a used auto trans....and don't expect it to work right, especially in a performance application.

The parts to rebuild it are far less than $650, and it's a valuable skill to learn.
          Last edited by squirrel; June 29, 2011, 05:25 PM.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

have you seen the prices of a tci tranny lately..
            a th400 is just under 1k

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              $60 is core price, which is all you should pay for a used auto trans....and don't expect it to work right, especially in a performance application.

The parts to rebuild it are far less than $650, and it's a valuable skill to learn.
              yup
              the tci kit I got for my th350 and 200r4 that has the rebuild kit, shift kit and filter kit all in one package was 281.00 each.. then a new converter.. I'd not trust the old one, not to pump crap into the new parts
              Last edited by Stich496; June 29, 2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                have you seen the prices of a tci tranny lately..
                a th400 is just under 1k
                I guess not, I looked them up and the prices have gone up a shitload since this time last year...I had found them not long ago for around 800 bucks....sign of the times I guess...
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I guess not, I looked them up and the prices have gone up a shitload since this time last year...I had found them not long ago for around 800 bucks....sign of the times I guess...
                  the th400 in my garage new never used (yet) is a tci that I bought in '94 for 399.00 street fighter with a clutch upgrade..
                  I looked at a th350 for my truck, and was like no f'n way..
                  I'm sure that the cost is more because the cores they get now need more hard parts as they might been through the ringer a few times already..
                  I've only found one th350 short tail core in junkyard,it's in my shead now, and as soon as I have an extra c note the th400 will join it.. as they are getting hard to find. that haven't been rebuilt ten times

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have got rid of those 20 transmissions last year when I was hauling away scrap
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

BB 727 or SB 727?Ive got one that has sat for a long time with a bad sprag gear that has B&M internals you can have for the cost of shipping.Im tired of tripping over it.PM me if interested.

Comment

727 is three or four hours of work, takes longer to clean it than build it. Knowing how is a VERY good skill to have, and that skill has saved me thousands over the years, and made me money for a few. It doesnt take much in the way of special tools to build most of them and only the electronic overdrives are over $300 to build.

As for what to look for if it is sitting on the ground, well no way to know if it is good or not unless you yank the valve body and do some air checks, that is the best you can do without installing it and running it. I rebuild all my cores unless I drove the vehicle prior to pulling it and know it is good.

I need to find a good dealer to get kits up here, or I can go through my bud in Charleston again.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I guess I shouldn't have got rid of those 20 transmissions last year when I was hauling away scrap
                          nope
                          th350 cores are 100.00 th400 at junkyards are 150.00(125.00 at middleboro, but everywhere else 150.00 up)
                          r.c. truck they have one th350 short tail, 300.oo but to be fair is a rebuilt unit from a known good shop, but still 3 bills for unknown miles

Comment

huh.....I've only sold a couple cores in the past 10 years or so, a couple 200-4Rs got a bill for each? maybe? One guy in town who does transmissions on the side said he wanted cores, but never came out to get any. It is a 10 mile drive, maybe that's too much trouble. He could have got them cheap. I have a couple chevy 350s, and a few 400s, probably enough to last me along time. I also have parts from several more 350s and 400s. Helped a friend swap the guts from a cracked case 350 into another case this week, that's the first 350 I've worked on in maybe 10 years. No one wants them, they're going to the overdrives.

I got rid of probably half a dozen torqueflites too, they just sat in the yard for years....
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

200r4 150.00
                              out of a monty SS/ g/n, 442 250.00

Comment

Working...
                              X