No announcement yet.

A friend crashes new drag car, and then it burns to a crisp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had to chase down my car before and start putting the fire out myself. Not really what you thought you'd be getting yourself into when you fill out the tech card and pay your fee. It makes it even worse if the track owner is a racer himself.

Stitch, have you ever driven a car close to that?
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2 View Post
      you're right, the owner had no responsibility or obligation to make sure his safety crew was prepared and available.
      how about the car owner driver.. the fool that stayed in it..
      or whatever got caught on the wall to start the fire,,
      but like everything else in America, it's someone elses fault..
      yes the safety crew was a joke.. but , thats the same type crew that drag racing started with.. a bunch of people that vol. their time..
      bet this isn't the only track run like that.. before this gets into a pissing match. maybe brian can quote wat it cost new england drayway for one day of service of a fire truck/crew and emt and ambulance.. for a day..
      my 10 munute ride in the ambulance was a 500.oo trip.. the cost for them to sit for 8 hours must be huge..
      easy for everyone to say, they should've had a better crew.. when we are not paying for it..
      that cost might be the difference between the track running or closing..
      if you haven't heard, car counts are way down..
      yes it sucks, it was a kool 57. but.. the car's bugs needed to be worked out.. and clearly the driver ,didn't know enough to let off.
      and payed the price..
      blaming the track. isn't fair.. and Brians rant is way overboard.. ex pro or not.. in this economy you do what you have to ,to keep the lights on..
      guess it be better if another track closed, right Brian... better add 70% of the outlaw tracks to that list..
      Brian surely wouldn't have liked the drags at norwood air port.. or anything from the 50-80's other that the national events..
      Last edited by Stich496; June 29, 2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
        I've had to chase down my car before and start putting the fire out myself. Not really what you thought you'd be getting yourself into when you fill out the tech card and pay your fee. It makes it even worse if the track owner is a racer himself.

Stitch, have you ever driven a car close to that?
        9 second car close enough, but it had an on board fire system, why risk hoping others bail you out if the worst happens
        Last edited by Stich496; June 29, 2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

You can't be serrious. Do you think a couple guys wearing shorts were really prepared for what happened? No one is really talking about the car knocking the wall, just the response after.
          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
            how about the car owner driver.. the fool that stayed in it..
            or whatever got caught on the wall to start the fire,,
            but like everything else in America, it's someone elses fault..
            yes the safety crew was a joke.. but , thats the same type crew that drag racing started with.. a bunch of people that vol. their time..
            bet this isn't the only track run like that.. before this gets into a pissing match. maybe brian can quote wat it cost new england drayway for one day of service of a fire truck/crew and emt and ambulance.. for a day..
            my 10 munute ride in the ambulance was a 500.oo trip.. the cost for them to sit for 8 hours must be huge..
            easy for everyone to say, they should've had a better crew.. when we are not paying for it..
            that cost might be the difference between the track running or closing..
            if you haven't heard, car counts are way down..
            yes it sucks, it was a kool 57. but.. the car's bugs needed to be worked out.. and clearly the driver ,didn't know enough to let off.
            and payed the price..
            blaming the track. isn't fair.. and Brians rant is way overboard.. ex pro or not.. in this economy you do what you have to ,to keep the lights on..
            guess it be better if another track closed, right Brian... better add 70% of the outlaw tracks to that list..
            Brian surely wouldn't have liked the drags at norwood air port.. or anything from the 50-60's other that the national events..

So, in the name of saving a buck, we risk the lives of the competitors by skimping on safety equipment...okay...gotcha.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

A 9 second car with a halon and now you're an authority on track safety. Not even close.
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

You can't be serrious. Do you think a couple guys wearing shorts were really prepared for what happened? No one is really talking about the car knocking the wall, just the response after.
                Greatly agreed. I could buy a top fuel car out of the box and put it on the line, it's only money at that point. But if I don't have a clue how to drive it, and I wadded it up, with all the safety gear on board, I'd only expect to get some help when I needed it from the sponsors of the sanctioned event, if in fact it was that at all.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I've been faster backwards than he's been forward.
                  Originally posted by TC

Comment

It sounded to me like the throttle stuck and he was not trying to pedal it. Might just be my hearing or my speakers, but it was steady state power not accelerating. Just how it looks to me. Even if the throttle didnt stick, what happened after that made me want to slap those guys, especially the guy in blue. He seemed utterly overwhelmed and panicked, "Just run around it and it will go out, thats the plan."

Those guys in shorts who were shooting at the top of the fire could have just as well gotten out the marshmallows and made smores, it would have been more effective. Apparently nobody bothers to train them how to put out a car fire, and no safety equipment other than some shorts, what the hell. Nobody shut the power down which would have shut off the fuel pumps, nobody got in the wheel well to put the fire out, and they were spraying the top of the fire as if it would trickle down. I am sure my firefighter wife could point out more stupid things they did and failed to do.

Im with Brian, that is simply unacceptable and inexcusable. What if the guy had been unconscious? What if he suffered a C-spine injury? We would be reading an obit instead of watching a car burn.

Comment

A 9 second car with a halon and now you're an authority on track safety. Not even close.
                      nope not an "authority" but I don't hope others can save my ass, didn't see the driver come out of the car, nor step back in to get a hand held fire ex.

Comment

I've been faster backwards than he's been forward.
                        good for you..

Comment

"I don't hope others can save my ass" -----Shut up dude, go back to your hole then where you can control things.
                          I've seen more people die in these things than I can count, with more safety shit than you've seen. You....don't know what you are talking about.
                          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                            good for you..
                            amature.
                            Originally posted by TC

Comment

A car wrecking at the track is nothing new and there was definitely a Major F-up on the tracks part for not being prepared for it.....

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                                A car wrecking at the track is nothing new and there was definitely a Major F-up on the tracks part for not being prepared for it.....
                                I agree, but maybe stich has his own medivac on stand-by.
                                Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                                X