Hot Wheels - Car of the Day !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod Quad
    This Mattel designed concept car features two sets of twin exposed engines, one set in back, the other in front. It also had a side-hinged canopy which opens to reveal the passenger compartment. This model was manufactured only in the United States, with no significant casting differences.

Nice Spectraflame Yellow in the Blister Pack.

A hard to find model in Spectraflame Rose.

This car is showing the opening side-hinged canopy.

Near Mint example in the Salmon Pink variation.

Close-up of showroom condition Spectraflame Yellow in Blister.

The plastic Collector's Button is worth $2 more than the metal one.

Comment

• Paddy Wagon
      This is one of several Hot Wheels cars that Mattel based on Monogram model kits that were designed by Tom Daniel. It features an exposed engine in front and a dark blue plastic removeable roof, that has "POLICE" and "3" in raised lettering on each side, trimmed in silver or gold chrome. The truck bed and seat are painted copper and the words "1912 Fuzz" is embossed across the front of the radiator. This model was manufactured in the United States through 1971 and from 1972 to 1979 in Hong Kong using the same casting.

My US version car, in carefully played with condition ...

... and is the Chrome Silver trim version.

A Gold Chrome trim version in an un-punched Blister Pack card.

The plastic Collector's Button is worth $2 more than the metal. My metal button is probably worthless ...

I loved Tom Daniel designed model kits and built almost every single one he did.
      Here is one of his Paddy Wagon models I worked on recently.

Last edited by Monster; September 9, 2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Peepin Bomb
        This convertible concept car was designed by Mattel and features adjustable headlight covers that reveal chrome headlights. It has an exposed rear engine with four long tail pipes. This model was manufactured only in the United States although some examples have been found with Hong Kong on the base (150%). Models with a white interior are rare and are 300% more.

One of only two cars I have in a Blister Pack, a Spectraflame Pink in the Hot Pink variation.

Nice Spectraflame Light Green model shows the headlight covers closed.

Spectraflame Blue car shows the chrome headlights.

A Spectraflame Purple car with an inappropriate sticker applied.

A metal Collector's Button.

Comment

• jack rabbit special

I found this in 1999 at a Hallmark store. I think its supposed to be a Christmas tree ornament, but it sits on my desk year round. You pull the keychain part up and the Jack Rabbit special in ultra miniature goes round the loop the loop about 3 times. Too bad my little brother killed all my old hotwheels...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BKBridges; September 12, 2011, 09:29 AM. Reason: sp
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

• That's pretty cool, had not seen one before.
            Miniature of the Rally Case too.

Comment

• Ive got that Hallmark ornament too! Ive also got a JR special kinda beat up though.

Comment

• Power Pad
                This Mattel designed concept car is a cross between a Jeep, a pickup truck and a camper, featuring; a front exposed engine and a white plastic removeable camper shell in the back. This model was manufactured only in the United States.

And for Cobra's viewing pleasure, a Blister Pack with a Spectraflame Pink in the Hot Pink variation.

Close-up of the mint car in the original packaging.

Nice Spectraflame Light Green model shows the Apple Green paint variant.

A Spectraflame Green model with the camper shell removed.

An Original Spectraflame Pink Power Pad body that was never "spun" to a base.

"Unspun" cars and bodies are ORIGINAL manufacturer parts that never made it to the assembly line and are usually snaped up quickly and put into collections and are rarely ever seen again. You can see that the body posts have no assembly marks.

Here are a few "unspun" parts from the collection of former Mattel Model Shop employee Victor Selotti.

Comment

• Red Baron
                  This is one of several Hot Wheels cars Mattel based on Monogram model kits that were designed by Tom Daniel. It features an exposed engine up front and a chrome helmet for a roof, which has a black Iron Cross on each side and a sharp point on top. It was produced only in Spectraflame Red and black interior, although some examples with a white interior have been found and are priced 900% higher due to their rarity.

This model was manufactured only in Hong Kong and there is a manufacturing error affecting the appearance of some models. The body was not plated or polished before being painted with Spectraflame Red on some models, causing a dark, reddish-brown variation.

My car is mint and came in a special edition Monogram model of the same Tom Daniel design.

My model kit is still unbuilt, with all parts bagged and on the trees.

Close-up of special edition Red Baron Monogram sticker.

Original Blister Pack.

Comment

• Sand Crab
                    This is another Hot Wheels car that Mattel based on a Tom Daniel designed Monogram model kit and features a clear plastic roof and a black plastic interior. This model was manufactured in both the United States and Hong Kong, but the HK variations are very had to find and are priced 300% higher. The US casting has a clear windshield and black interior, while the HK variation has a blue tinted windshield and a white interior.

My Spectraflame Lime (Antifreeze) car is in "played with hard and put up wet" condition. This model was very popular and was usually played with allot, so good examples are more difficult to get than other models.

Nice car in Spectraflame Rose.

Another good example in Spectraflame Blue.

Original Blister Pack with a Spectraflame Light Green car.

Close-up of the bottom of the Blister Pack, showing the included decal sheet with flower stickers.

The metal Collector's Button.

Comment

• Seasider
                      Mattel choose the Chevrolet Fleetside as the basis for this customized pick-up truck. It features an exposed engine up front and a plastic boat in back. The body has a contour line near the bottom on each side and the body is painted flat black below this contour. The rear fender has two cut-outs to hold the boat in place by it's outboard engines. The boat was issued with a dark orange top with a white bottom or a white top & dark orange bottom. This model was manufactured only in the United States with a black interior.

This model is in Spectraflame Yellow and has the Orange boat.

This Spectraflame Blue model has a White boat.

Nice car in Spectraflame Rose with an Orange boat.

This Spectraflame Pink car shows the boat removed.

Close-up of the two types of boats; an Orange bottom & White top or a White bottom & Orange top.

Comment

• Some Kmart keepers Cammer and I found shopping today

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	857699
                        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

• Cool find, I really like Smokey's and Waltrip's cars.

Comment

• Swingin' Wing
                            This Mattel designed concept model features twin, separate cockpits and just behind the cockpits sits a white plastic adjustable wing and at the rear of the car are twin tail pipes that conceal a slide-out rear engine. This model was manufactured in both the United States and Hong Kong, with interior colors being the only difference. The US castings used a white interior and the HK variations came with a black interior and are less common (priced 150% higher).

This model in Spectraflame Magenta is in very nice condition.

Side view of a Spectraflame Light Green model.

Close-up of a Spectraflame Magenta car, with the engine slide out.

Nice car in Spectraflame Rose in original Blister Pack.

This is a reproduction Wing for the model.

This Spectraflame Yellow car has the wing removed, showing the mounting holes.

Close-up of the canope glass piece.

Comment

• funny store going back to the Sand Crab - I was in Las Vegas 3 years ago for a diecast car convention and Hot Wheels has a vending machine, much like a candy vending maching cept the front glass is frosted over so you cant see whats inside, 10 bux gets you a single pull, you press a letter and a number and you get what you get - so I take my turn and get a Sand Crab - UGH - I really dont like the casting so im standing there holding it and this guy comes up behind me and ask " Would you like me to sign that ? " im like WTF ? The guy whos running the machine named HWC Chris a Mattel/ Hot Wheels employee was like "Holy Shit Tom Daniels" !!! - so I hand Tom the car, he signs it and now its a fixed piece in my collection of signed cars

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

• That's a cool story Charles and an even cooler piece of Americana.

Comment

Working...
                                X