Pre-emissions or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-emissions or not?

Michigan does not have any emissions testing but I might move to a state that does. I see a lot of people that are building up cars from the 80’s. Fox bodies, F-bodies, G-bodies, Pickups you name it. I am tempted to go down that path. It seems that with the high art of junkyard EFI along with DIY engine management has made the once elusive goal of emissions compliant power easier to do.

Anybody else contemplating a late model build up?

I ask because I keep coming back to the idea of an early 3rd gen. Firebird with at some point an LS engine. Not exactly original but I think the lighter weight car with the decent aerodynamics could be a fun daily driver and still get decent fuel economy.

Re: Pre-emissions or not?

I am as well. LS1Tech is a great resource for Gen 3/4 power into nearly anything. Post up if you start anything.
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I am in Cali and am wrapping up the engine build in my 89 F150. ALuminum headed 302 w/ a tiny stall and some 4.10s. I have to make sure it is completely smog legal, so it has been fun neatening up the smog equipment.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

My original plan with the Skylark was to make it CA smog legal, 455 and all. I'm still probably going to try to make it CA-smog legal though I don't have emission testing where I live. I'll have a couple catalytic converters on it, an electric smog pump going directly to the cats, and once it's EFI'ed and computer controlled a fuel/timing map for low NOx in lieu of an EGR, though admittingly I probably won't run those settings often, but just to see if I can do it and incase I move some where that does test (I should be able to get better mpg at the expense of a bit higher NOx).
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

if it only had one cat from the factory , it has to have a legal , single cat replacement . it is stupid , because it is so rare to even see pre 90 cars on the road now , less than 1 percent of the cars on the road , but emissions laws are not about cleaning the air , they are about government and how much power they have over you

Comment

What is the EPA cut off for importing vehicles these days?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

What is the EPA cut off for importing vehicles these days
              I'm not exactly sure what your asking but I can tell you that I think EPA has a rolling 25 year old exemption on emissions compliance. What this means is that if you want to import a car you must have a letter from the manufacture stating it complies or one of those EPA door jam/ under the hood compliance stickers. I can tell you that from my experience Customs does not care what is actually going on under the hood so long as you have the correct sticker/letter. If it does not comply it better be cut in half. There are separate DOT requirements also. I did this a while ago with a car from Canada so if anyone has some serious questions about it I can fill em in.

Comment

Car from India. Not US made, not even close and actually without drivetrain even.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Try importing it as scrap.

Comment

Go looking for pictures for an HM Ambassador. My fiance (soon to be wife) is from India and we think it would be cool to hot rod one. Its got about the same suspension as a 60's Mopar.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I really want to go to India. English speaking and all that. I will probably come back with a jeep.

Comment

Mahindra MaXX pickup is also on my list but an Amby is more my style.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                          Mahindra MaXX pickup is also on my list but an Amby is more my style.
                          haha - that would make an awesome project.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I'm just not seeing it.

Comment

I think you just have to know CTX-SLEEPER a little better. "Out There" is definitely his thing.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X