A Sense of Humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sense of Humor

I'm sitting here late/early in the morning/night because I'm sort of swinging shifts at Weeville. Off work, so there are no rules. Took the nap, up again, no rules. I love being off of work. I don't have to go to work in the morning.

Thinking thoughts profound, isn't a sense of humor the one best thing to have on the face of this earth? I mean, if we can't laugh....when we laugh, from the inside, for at least that one moment there's nothing wrong. Nothing is wrong. There can be nothing wrong when we are laughing. At least for that one moment. Or we wouldn't be laughing at all.

Uhhhh, I don't know where to go from there. Written myself into a corner. Got no great line to finish with. I guess that's all there I've got to say.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Let me expand on this. There's an order of things that rank important, according to all of the training things I've been exposed to. And I think it's true. It goes like this:

1. SAFETY. Run like hell if you're being chased by a wild animal that can eat you. You'll run no matter if you're hungry or naked. RUN.

2. FOOD. The buzzards gotta eat, just like the worms.

3. CLOTHING. You can't stay out in the snow without it. But if you're in it, you should probably live farther South, which is another issue entirely.

4. SHELTER. Gotta have a roof over your head if you don't want to run from the animals all day.

5. COMPANIONSHIP. Humans are supposed to have other humans around them.

Those are the supposed rules. But I would have to add humor. I think it's nearly as important as those other things. I'm sure I wouldn't want to live without it.

Comment

Funny thing about humor....

(Sorry - the ball was over the net again......)

Dan

Comment

But seriously, humor HAS been a big thing in my life. If you're gonna bumble along like I have you better be willing to laugh about it. Ever notice how what's Hilarious to one person doesn't even get a chuckle from someone else. And how some people find you humorous while the next guy just gives you a blank stare? My endrocrinologist (diabetes doc) thinks I'm an absolute stitch. I'd like to think it's because of his superior intelligence but it may be the opposite. But he IS an MD so I'd like to think he has two brain cells to rub together.

Dan

Comment

I would register "insane" on some scales. I can be sitting all by myself, doing visibly nothing, and start laughing about something I thought or something I remembered.

I have a lot more fun laughing at myself than laughing at anybody else. I can really do it and really enjoy it, laughing at myself.

It's a gene, or something, and I don't know where it came from, looking at the character of the other members of my immediate family.

And it's not new. I have (I don't know where it is) a school yearbook from the 8th grade. One of the kids autographed it with one sentence - "Become a comedian."

That didn't happen because I loathe the thought and fact of standing up in front of people and doing something scripted. I crap bricks and blood on the podium.

But there was one time when we had friends over, and they were huddled around our computer surfing the Weeville site, laughing hysterically at everything they clicked on. I was totally moved by that. There's 3 people I can see and hear doing that. Imagine all the people I CAN'T see...doing the same thing. That's my life's work right there, if I've done anything at all. With that, I can be a comedian all over the world, even while I'm asleep. And most of the material isn't even mine.

And it's a joy to be able to type on BangShift as well. You folks have made me laugh more times than Einstein could count. It's all a great lot of fun. It sure is.

Comment

Working...
          X