Not qualifying does have its advantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    No, no, it's not about the situation. It's about how you choose to THINK about it.

Sorry. I've had too much brain training over way too many years.
    I've kinda put all my eggs in one basket pewee and I think I should try and find a new career...This whole dragracing thing isn't working out for me....it's not like I'm going to stop, but I'm riding the highs and lows....I'm just having a bad day.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Got to be the weather.I could not do anything right on my car today.A few of my friends said they had shitty days as well.3 hours on a broken bolt in the block tested my patience.At least you did a burnout.Im having a beer or two myself.Tomorrow is another day.

Comment

That car usually rips the tire....I've ran 12.50's with out the bottle.
        That burn out was sad.
        A 5.60 car wount get you anywhere either...
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

what was/is wrong with it?
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
            No, no, it's not about the situation. It's about how you choose to THINK about it.

Sorry. I've had too much brain training over way too many years.
            I'm not going to give up, it's just I might not have the cash this week to fly TC up here to see what the real world is like. He will have to wait until next week now.
            I'm serrously thinking about a steady income though. I think DG did it right, and I went about it backwards. The stress of a steady income is killing me.
            Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2 View Post
              what was/is wrong with it?
              The dragster? I didn't build the engine, degree the cam, cut the floaters or disks, I only know what I was told. And as anyone knows.
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                I wish....
                I just suck! LOL
                I usually tell people "Maybe drag racing aint your thing"
                It bit me in the ass!
                Sorry to hear man, and don't let it get you down.....

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                  LOL, I was like the pool guy with a green pool, now I'm a super tuner with a suck ass car. WTF happened?
                  I think I should start a lawn mowing business, how can I screw that up, right?
                  when I was making 30k a year and thinking I had it made, the kid across the street was making 90k mowing grass and spending less time at it than I was to make the 30. He was home in time to pick the kids up from school, weekends off...
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

it does suck when bad things happen when you're doing what you love.... however, it's a whole lot worse WHEN bad things happen while you're doing things you hate.

you'd rather throw pipes in -30 degree weather than run down a track and throw back a couple beers when the day is done. Most guys on the slope deal with the boredom by throwing back just enough beers that they fall of their bar stools.... every night.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Bummer to hear.

If you love what you're doing, and you're able to put food on the table and a roof over your head, I sure wouldn't advise you to change careers. Some folks would look at what you're doing and think you're living the dream, yet they don't understand the anxiety of a career where performance is the paycheck. All they are thinking about is the boredom or outright hatred of their 9 to 5.

The semi-pro method that DG and others have adopted does have some advantage. Yet you always have only so much time, and you've got your day to day master that you have to please first. Covering your nut is great peace of mind, but not wanting to get up and go to work is a drag.

If you are just out of psychological gas (we all get there, nothing wrong with it) with what you're doing, perhaps a change of pace is in order. Just examine what it'll take to come back to the current career if you decide you want to. There is another school of thought that you just need to cut ties with the former career in order to force you to focus on the new one. I really don't think that's necessary.

Rest and relax. Then choose a path with a clear mind.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        when I was making 30k a year and thinking I had it made, the kid across the street was making 90k mowing grass and spending less time at it than I was to make the 30. He was home in time to pick the kids up from school, weekends off...
                        I can see where it would be very stressful to have your source of income come from racing a car. I mean how many times are your sponsors going to keep being your sponsors if you don't qualify?? Plus the way the economy is going right now finding sponsors may be a lot harder than it has been in the past. And then there is the fact that there is always going to be someone faster than you......There are tons of guys that try to make a living at racing, but only a few of them can really do it, so don't knock yourself if it doesn't work out. Then there is your health, not that being exposed to hazardous chemicals and gasses all the time isn't bad enough, there is the Stress of running the show......For my friend Bob that built the Indy car motors, that stress equated to a Stroke while he was driving down the highway at 80mph, basically Chevrolet was the sponsors for the 6 teams that he was building motors for, then they decided to pull out, which meant no more sponsorship money for the teams and that 6 million dollar a year income that Bob was making was out the window. He got a call in the middle of the night from the guys at Chevrolet, telling him they were done and that if any of the teams owned him money he better go get it quick.........

Just remember you have to have fun at what your doing, if that fun turns into a stressful situation that puts pressure on your family, health and pocket book, then your not living the dream anymore........

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                          it does suck when bad things happen when you're doing what you love.... however, it's a whole lot worse WHEN bad things happen while you're doing things you hate.

you'd rather throw pipes in -30 degree weather than run down a track and throw back a couple beers when the day is done. Most guys on the slope deal with the boredom by throwing back just enough beers that they fall of their bar stools.... every night.
                          After calming down, you're probably right. I still need a plan "B" though. I worked up there when I was younger and I still have friends and family that work there. They usually get by the boredom by planning a trip to Hawaii, or up-grades to their airplane.
                          My Dad always warned me about taking a hobby and trying to make a living out of it.
                          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            Just remember you have to have fun at what your doing, if that fun turns into a stressful situation that puts pressure on your family, health and pocket book, then your not living the dream anymore........
                            Shoot, I quit my job, went back to school to do something fun, and my stress level went from an 11 to... oh, only about a 10. (that's on a scale of 10)

And my family, health, and pocket book are under just as much stress if not more... and now I have student loans on top of all the other bills that are still there.

I wasn't living the dream before, and I'm definitely not now... so look before you leap.

Your brother-in-law hiring?
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I'll tell you what...some good news is coming.
                              Maybe I should just say "XXXXXXXXXXX" right now!
                              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                              X