No announcement yet.

BS'er Brian Rock wins NMRA/NMCA/NHRA Unleashed Event at California Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well picking up 3 mph is huge, looks like the added power it spun in low. In all your 9 is there
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Impossible, a full weight 4000lb GTO with a Pontiac in it running 10.0 with a 2004R trans? You need a chevy and lots of spray to do that with at least a Th400!

Seriously though, I want an IAII block with a 4.5" crank soooo bad. The problem is I dont have a car or fuel system that can hang with my E headed 467. What is the rest of your combo? Heads, cam, intake etc? I dont remember what the 421 had on it.

So the hop stop bars didnt work as good as changing the IC with the upper arms? I've been thinking of either SSM lift bars or adjustable arms like you're running now. Im picking up a 65 LeMans in the next couple weeks, so I will build either that or the hard top for my FIL and make the other one a toy for me. Either way it isnt going to be 4000lbs! Might run a Tempest grille since they are quite a bit lighter. The 70-72s I have are way too heavy, but one still might end up a sleeper.

Comment

Hope I'm not giving away any secrets

(Actually it looks like all the pictures I have of Brian's engine are on a backup drive)
        Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 15, 2011, 07:12 AM.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah, the outer carbs needed a little tweaking, but all in all the tri power is a hard piece to beat!

Comment

[QUOTE=Thumpin455;542278]
            So the hop stop bars didnt work as good as changing the IC with the upper arms? I've been thinking of either SSM lift bars or QUOTE]

The no-hop bars do reocate the rear end of the uppers to shorten the IC. That setup worked great down into the mid to high tens, but with the added power of the 496, the IC was too short and the car would over seperate in the rear. I'm now back to all stock mounting points and the upper and lower control arms are only adjustable for length so I can locate the rear and set pinion angle.
            There is a point where you need the altered IC to plant the rear end to the ground. Once you make enough power (different for every car) you no longer need to rely on altered IC to make the suspension plant.

The basic combo is KRE high port heads on the 496 (10.9:1 cr on on 91 octane pump gas), Victor intake w/1100 cfm dominator, 263/269 -.650" lift solid roller cam, 1-7/8" headers with 3" X-crossover and full length 3" exhaust system.

Comment

Nice, why such a small cam? You wanted to have some street manners or something? I've been eyeing the high ports, but also wanting some CV1s or Tigers, not that I can hook any of that power either. Your car gives me hope that mine will be in the 9s easily, and that will mean I get kicked off the track.

How far above the fenders does the Victor put the carb? Its about an inch higher than the fenders of a 79 Formula.

Comment

The cam was ground for the 421 and I'm sure that the 496 wants more. It IS 263/269 @.050" not "advertised" duration though.

HA!, I've learned not to put the words "nines" and "easily" in the same sentence!!

The bottom of the front float bowl is at the height of the hood line. The air cleaner totally fills the scoop. The combination of the victor and the raised runner high port heads really makes for clearance issues.

Comment

I say small cam (tongue in cheek) because my 467 has a 270/[email protected] with around .660 lift. Not too bad for manners driving around, but the 1050 is a tad cranky. I cant run any shorter intakes because they wont cover the ports enough to get a good seal. That Victor is TALL...

'Easily' is provided the thing ever hooks again, and what worked at 560ftlbs doesnt work so well now. Thats why I am thinking of running an A body instead of an F body. Not that I can go racing in a class like you do, I just want to play and maybe do some brackets with a street car.

What have you done to the 2004R to make it live? How long does it last between builds?

Comment

The 2004R is a bit of a frankenstien build. It's been upgraded with stuff from different people over the years as things become available. Most of the billet internals are from PTSXtreme in Sacramento. 300m input shaft, intermediate shaft, and OD ring gear. The OD planetary and billet output shaft came from CK performance in NY, the trans brake is from Performance automatics in IL, and the straight cut planetary came from a specialty builder here in CA.

It's actually held up very well, and usually only comes apart for upgrades. I'm probably on a 2-3 year plan for inspection/freshen ups now that all of the hard parts are in place. The same frictions have been actually been in use for six years now, and im on my 2nd or 3rd intermediate band in the same period of time.
                    It's NOT a trans for a guy on a tight budget. Not if you want all the goodies at one time. My expense has been spread over the seventeen years that mine has been in service. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to do all of the upgrades and repairs myself and not had to pay a builder each time. It was one of the best things I ever did for the car, and I love when people ask "those things don't hold up to any power do they?"

Comment

Rebuilding the trans yourself is definitely the cost effective way to go about it. I upgraded the 4L60E in my 98 Formula with lots of good parts and I managed to do it for less than $1k. The only thing I am worried about breaking in that one is the front pump.

Is the trans brake VB a constant pressure type or does the TV still play a big part in getting everything right and making it live? I would imagine it takes some effort to connect the TV to a Dominator on a Victor intake and get the geometry right. I've already broken two 2004Rs in the 70 GTO, no hard parts just overpowering the clutch packs. Not a TV issue, just a 4100lb car with 2.93 gears and a 500ftlb 455 pushing it. Its getting a 700 with some upgrades with its new E85 455. Im thinking of putting a 2004R in the 65 since it is much lighter and will have a mild 400, just wondering what parts I should throw in it. Suggestions?

Comment

Way to go Brian!! Beating down the competition with Tri-Power just kills on all levels. Sorry, I missed Anti-Tour this year. McGann planned it right on top of me on a cruise in the Aegean.

I talked to McGann last night. In the gallery there is a pic of him getting a trophy. He took Jeff Smith's Orange Peel 66 Chevelle. He ran 11.68 at 118 mph. I think that is as fast as Smith as gone.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

He doesnt have tripower, though that would be incredible to run 10.0 with it. His engine looks more like this. Though probably nicer with better valve covers and more polished stuff.

Comment

My friend goes 10.80s in a all steel 65 GTO, with a butler engine, with a tri-power. he has more $$$ in the carbs and intake than I have in my carb/intake/heads and cam. It is a beautiful car too.
                            Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.
                            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

There a few guys foing pretty fast with tri powers, but I just don't want to put myself through the grief. I love my dominator!

I still run the stock valve body and TV system. The T/brake has no effect on anything until it's in use. It retains full automatic function like normal and you would never know it's there. A homemade throttle bracket made the TV cable install pretty simple on the dominator.

To build a 200 for moderate to heavy useage, you want the billet intermediate shaft/forward drum assembly, a wide intermediate band, a well bluebrinted 10 vane pump, a good shift kit, and the Art Carr deep aluminum pan that uses the 700-R4 bottom feeder filter. The stock 200-4R filter is a top feed and you will uncover it at launch. No need for aftermarket input or output shafts unless using the brake. This is bare minimum stuff, and you should contact the supplier to see if they can put together a package and reccommend any other goodies.
                              There is some good reading on the PTSXtreme site. Look for the "strenghtening the 200-4R" red tab ot the top of the page.

Comment

Working...
                              X