No announcement yet.

tree crisscut.. what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a place on the side of the road near the Villages (down here in FL) that sells those things. Those Cypress clocks are very common down here in the south.

One of our customers lives in an old wooden house made of cypress. He has spare planks of it in the rafters of his barn. We used one of his 5/4 x 12" planks to do a project for him a while back. Man, that is some hard and beautiful wood when you run it through a planer... but boy does it stink! It smells just like it grew in a swamp. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
      Family's from Houma, LA. I've seen one or two...
      Houma? Really?

Wow! You may know some friends of mine.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
        There's a place on the side of the road near the Villages (down here in FL) that sells those things. Those Cypress clocks are very common down here in the south.

One of our customers lives in an old wooden house made of cypress. He has spare planks of it in the rafters of his barn. We used one of his 5/4 x 12" planks to do a project for him a while back. Man, that is some hard and beautiful wood when you run it through a planer... but boy does it stink! It smells just like it grew in a swamp. ;-)
        I guess it would be similar to cedar, maine is too cold for cypress.

wikipedia claims it is a northern temperate tree.. it is not.

I only recall southern pine travelling..never saw the cypress.
        sothern pine is quite hard here local. House built during the lumber boom 1900s had that lumber as a swap, north wood for south. Those houses stay up a long time.
        I guess if you trick an environment of its locale it changes lumber.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
          Houma? Really?

Wow! You may know some friends of mine.

Ron
          It's been awhile, but if you know any Blanchards out along Bayou Black, we're probably related.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
            It's been awhile, but if you know any Blanchards out along Bayou Black, we're probably related.
            Not familiar with them. You know the Weeks family? Or Sid Bonnecarre?

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
              Isn't Mulberry wood way to soft for that? Our Mulberry is worthless in the wood department, but awesome for shade...
              Mulberry is a very hard, dense wood, a cousin to the Osage Orange aka hedge. Makes damn good firewood...

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller View Post
                Mulberry is a very hard, dense wood, a cousin to the Osage Orange aka hedge. Makes damn good firewood...
                And you can't kill the damn things, I have one in the back of one of my apartments, chopped it down to just a stump and the damn thing keeps coming back..........

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller View Post
                  Gail maybe talking about the Fruitless mulberry that was so overplanted in the 70's it's not funny. Kind of like Bradford Pears are way overplanted now, but it's much more resilient than a Bradford Pear. Fruitless mulberry is pretty soft, extremely rapid growth, 30-40 year life span. It does burn. Everything wood seems to burn.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                  X