Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The good and the bad of my trip to Missouri (with some pics).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good and the bad of my trip to Missouri (with some pics).

Well, I had a great trip to Missouri, but I didn't get to do near the things I wanted to do while there. First, I didn't get to re-ring the motor while I was there. I also didn't get the chance to see Gary's badass truck. That didn't mean my trip was a total waste though. We did strip the cab of the truck down to parade rest, squirted a bunch of PB Blaster into the cylinders of the 392 Hemi in his 57 Chrysler, and we also went and picked up some cool stuff from his late Dad's old shop, and his late Aunt's house out in Kansas City.

The bad part of the trip? That happened on the way back here. On the West Virginia/Kentucky border, the Montana started jerking and bucking. At first, it seemed like a fuel starvation issue, but after further diagnosis, I determined it was the transmission. After shifting it down a gear, it stopped jerking. I got it through West Virginia and part of Virginia when it started doing it in that gear too. I stopped for the night and got a rental this morning to so I could get the family home. The van did fine when I started it up this morning, so I'm hoping it's the shift solenoids. If not, it may need another transmission. Either way, it's at a repair shop in Staunton, Va. (which I absolutely hate having someone doing a repair on a car I could've done myself if I had it at home).

On to the pics. Please excuse the quality of the pics. My wife bought me a camera for my birthday, but it's not the best I've ever used...

Here she is in all her stripped glory, all ready to go to the media blaster. PB Blaster is your friend...

We found this at his Aunt's house in a filing cabinet. He might be interested in selling this if someone is interested.

Something else we found in the filing cabinet. Due to my younger nature, I wasn't aware that the government sent stuff like this catered to individual homes. If you ever need to build a fallout shelter, this book is for you!

Here's an old Aladdin Desk Lamp I found digging around the basement. My father-in-law said I could have it. What he doesn't realize is I'm going to strip it down and paint the base, flex arm, and light socket a copper color, paint the globe silver on the outside and white on the inside, clear coat the whole thing, and then give it back to him when I'm finished. I asked him what color he thought would look best on it and that's what he told me, so I figure he should like it!

Here's a gratuitous shot of the 392.

Side shot of the same 392.

Neat old sprayer we found in his Aunt's garage.

Closer shot of the label on the sprayer.

My father-in-law's Aunt was a secretary back in the day. Here's a "portable" Underwood typewriter we found in the basement.

And here's a neat old IBM Model 01 electric typewriter we found also. It powers up, but it needs some repair to get it to work correctly.

Here's a 40 year old heater, complete with instructions and never used, I found at a Salvation Army thrift store when we dropped off an old washer my father-in-law had at his house. Got it for 20 bucks. We also picked up a push mower that was "parts only - will not run" for $10 bucks. I had it running 5 minutes after we got it back to his house. After changing the oil, sharpening the blade and putting a used wheel on it, it's now for sale in his used mower section for $65 bucks.

And here's the absolute coolest thing we picked up at his Dad's shop...an old Walker Roll-A-Car mechanical jack! And boy, was that bastard heavy! It's a model 85 that I think was built in either the 20's or 30's. It still works and he plans on restoring it.
    Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Lots of cool finds !
    sigpic

Comment

neat stuff! That Underwood is a No. 5, it's a Standard typewriter, not a portable. The portables are about half as tall. The IBM is a rare typewriter, I've only seen one before. I have a couple of the newer version from the 50s.

The AC really fills the engine bay on that chrysler! But the 392 would definitely look better in some kinda hot rod
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

no check engine light ?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          neat stuff! That Underwood is a No. 5, it's a Standard typewriter, not a portable. The portables are about half as tall. The IBM is a rare typewriter, I've only seen one before. I have a couple of the newer version from the 50s.

The AC really fills the engine bay on that chrysler! But the 392 would definitely look better in some kinda hot rod
          Thanks for the info on the Underwood! There were a few more old typewriters in the basement, but these where the ones he wanted. And yes, that AC does fill up the engine bay...as does the power brake system! Personally, I don't care for the car. If it were me, the engine would've been swinging from the end of an engine lift a long time ago!

But I did get some good news on the van today. Turns out it wasn't the transmission. It was the wire to the crankshaft position sensor. Some of the insulation had rubbed off and it was grounding out against the engine. Again, this is something I could've found had I got it home and on a lift. But what concerns me is this: The "check engine" light did come on, but the only code I pulled with my portable engine scanner was an "EGR Valve stuck open" code. One would think that, even though it was an intermittent fault, it would've archived an issue with the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Thoughts Spidy?

Comment

Repairs are complete. Final bill came to $346. I'll go pick her up tomorrow after I get off duty.

Comment

Working...
            X