What do I want to be when I grow up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I want to be when I grow up?

So I have been contemplating my future. With only 2.5 years until I am eligible to retire I really to to get off my as and consider what I am going to do.

I hate school, I hate class rooms, I hate teachers....BUT, I don't want to be a mechanic anymore. Physically, I don't know if I can do it. My back is pretty messed up, I have degenerative disk disease and severe arthritis in my neck and both my shoulders are going to require surgery.

All this considered, it really rules out law enforcement, Sheriff's office, Prison Guard, aircraft maintenance of any kind....

I have narrowed it down to watching tv for a living, pan handling, and submitting myself for scientific testing.....

So I think I have a goal....I am considering physical therapy assistant. It allows me to help folks who need it and I will not be wallowing in grease and my own pain all day.....Going to look into the school this week...

it sucks having to grow up...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

organ donation transportation , the customer we know who does it drives a hummer h3 with 175 k on it in 3 years , my neighbor does it too , he has a 2011 expedition dolled up like a cop car
    think it pays pretty well

Comment

Transplant Recruiters Staffing Agency. Job recruiting head hunters for the organ transplant field of medicine placing coordinators & more.

Comment

there is a symmetry there that is slightly ironic

sales is about all you've not excluded..... you're too honest, though, to be a car salesman.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well, depending on what % you get of your pay for retirement will dictate what you have to do. If you are only a Staff, you will need a job for sure. A Tsgt can make it ok with a part time job, and top three can often do whatever they want. It just depends on what you want to do. I cant stand working on cars for a living, but I enjoy the hell out of it when I am building a project on my terms. There is no way in hell I want to own a business like that, the stress is too much and my body cant handle the hours required, just like you.

I guess what I am trying to say is, whatever you choose to do, make sure it allows you the time and resources to do whatever you want to do. Money isnt everything, having more of it at the expense of your health isnt worth it. Find something you enjoy that will allow you to do the things you have wanted to do but never had the time.

None of us military guys can sit around and do nothing, it just doesnt work that way. There is no reason it needs to be an all consuming job or second career. If you want that, then just get a job as a civilian on base, we know they dont work very hard. ;) Take your time to find what you want to do, and you are grown up because you have put in your time already.

Comment

A professional thin sheet metal welder No heavy lifting and a car that requires plenty of practice! I can't place myself in your shoes very well, I'm tired of thinking and ready for a no-brainer physical labor job for a while =/ I liked washing cars when I was in college.....
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Quikie Mart Clerk?

Click image for larger version

Name:	clerks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	856303

Comment

I liked Randal more
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 13, 2011, 08:35 AM.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I sometimes think about being the guy that flips the stop sign around in road construction areas, but then I'd probably stress about causing a head on accident.
                  Originally posted by TC
                  also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Railroad work maybe? A good friend of mine (and a dang good employee) quit the surveying business and went to work for BNSF and loves it.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                      Quikie Mart Clerk?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3088[/ATTACH]
                      I hear there are 37 openings in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                        I sometimes think about being the guy that flips the stop sign around in road construction areas, but then I'd probably stress about causing a head on accident.
                        Did that one summer, was on the decline of a valley holding my sign for the oncoming traffic on my side of the work zone to stop. A car came over the crest and realize her brakes were OUT. i had no place to go, so as she buzzed by my on the left, the cars from the other side of the construction buzzed by me on the right. Luckly iI was far enough up the road from the work that she had time to swerve back over to the open lane. My co worker on the otherside saw what is happening and stopped his line in time so there was no head on. She did manage to stop when she went up the other side of the hill and appoligized to my coworker.
                        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                          Railroad work maybe? A good friend of mine (and a dang good employee) quit the surveying business and went to work for BNSF and loves it.

I actually have mulled this over. I friend of mine who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes was released from active duty and moved to Montana. He is now a full fledged engineer for BNSF...he told me he could help get the ball rolling if I am interested...and I just may be....

But I am very interested in physical therapy...and I can get a degree and work in that field and maybe even go to school and work on a doctorate...if I can get past my hatred of school....LOL! yeah right...
                          Last edited by JOES66FURY; July 13, 2011, 10:37 AM.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Paging Doctor JOES66FURY2...

Phoenix has tons of schools that teach that stuff. Our oldest daughter Alicia is a massage therapist, she went to school in Phoenix. She has a ton of clients and also works out of Chiroprator offices. She is pagan and sort of a good witch. She had a friend, he was mid 20s, he had severe arthritis, she mixed up some herbal thing and started him on massages and he is off all his pain meds now for 3 years. I had a neck thing going a couple years ago, I tried all kinds of things, not putting my arm on the window when I drive, changed the angle of the couch for the TV etc... naproxen, motrin Chiropractor, nothing seemed to help, went on for about 2 years. Alicia worked on my neck one time for 15 minutes one day and that was the beginning of healing for me, over about 2 months it slowly dissipated and finally went away...she is truly amazing with her healing abilities, she still lives in Phoenix if you need an amazing massage therapist. She is a huge Flogging Molly fan, I guess St Patricks day in Phoenix is Flogging Molly Central, Loren has contacts and gets her backstage, not sure why I added that but whatever...

~gail
                            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 13, 2011, 10:50 AM.
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                              Paging Doctor JOES66FURY2...

she is truly amazing with her healing abilities, she still lives in Phoenix if you need an amazing massage therapist. She is a huge Flogging Molly fan, I guess St Patricks day in Phoenix is Flogging Molly Central, Loren has contacts and gets her backstage, not sure why I added that but whatever...

~gail
                              If I were not married I may be in love LMAO!!

Comment

Working...
                              X